Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 07:14   #16

Re: Is this the problem with the younger generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony
Here is a beautiful advertisement from a April 2019 magazine. A young family is aboard a beautiful boat. It is a tropical Caribbean location with Montserrat in the distance and everyone wearing shorts. It's a beautiful day on the ocean on a beautiful new motor yacht.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Meanwhile closer inshore, someone on a 25ft mono just chucked a grapnel anchor in on the end of 5m of old rope and swam ashore to to have a cold beer at happy hour with the other cruisers in the beach side bar

Meanwhile, on shore, there is a dwindling capacity to support both of these types. The narratives that such parents utilize to justify such activity will not be tenable for the children.
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/issues/2016/95/2
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 08:34   #17

Boat: Beneteau

Horses for courses. I sail to get away others go to catch up on Netflix series in the evening. My wife and son like Dr. Who while sailing.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 08:42   #18

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Here is a beautiful advertisement from a April 2019 magazine. A young family is aboard a beautiful boat. It is a tropical Caribbean location with Montserrat in the distance and everyone wearing shorts. It's a beautiful day on the ocean on a beautiful new motor yacht.

But wait -- mom and the kids are inside the cabin on the couch watching the large flat screen which dad is now operating via iPad. He finds a movie of... the ocean!

Yes, they are on the sea in a boat but choose to watch a movie of someone else in the sea. Furthermore, they are watching on a satellite broadband receiver and paying 10x what it would cost to watch it at home.

Whatever happened to Reality?!
Enjoy the coming spring - in person.
Richard and Evie
Hey, it is expensive to go there by the own yacht, you can top it only by a larger yacht or by an expensive satellite broadband connection.

Old 14-03-2019, 09:14   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

But wait -- mom and the kids are inside the cabin on the couch watching the large flat screen which dad is now operating via iPad. He finds a movie of... the ocean!

Yes, they are on the sea in a boat but choose to watch a movie of someone else in the sea. Furthermore, they are watching on a satellite broadband receiver and paying 10x what it would cost to watch it at home.

Whatever happened to Reality?!
Enjoy the coming spring - in person.
Richard and Evie
looks nice and I'm happy they appear to be enjoying themselves
Old 14-03-2019, 09:20   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I took my family on a "land yacht" cruise of northern California and Oregon and instead of admiring the beautiful scenery, the boys had their noses on their smartphones the whole tour.

...and I can't get them to read a book.

Now when they come sailing with their pals for a weekend, NO PHONES! Period.

I am curious to see what career paths they follow since they can't read...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:27   #21

Name one generation who didn't think the following generation were idiots... (never their OWN offspring mind you, no no, theirs are 'amazing' and 'incredible', but the younger generation as a whole? Taking the world to hell in a handbasket!)
LaughingWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:40   #22

Boat: Pearson 10M

There are numerous articles concerning the use of technology in education and the advantages of minimally supervised activity for young people.
My opinion is that the experience of actually physically participating in an activity provides more opportunity to learn, there's nothing like pulling on a rope to reinforce those sometimes boring classes on mechanical physics.
Minimally supervised activity on a boat could be as simple as letting the new sailor take the helm and back wind the sails a couple of times and figuring out how to get out of that situation.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:43   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Seems you are reading a lot into that picture, your own reality may not match the intent at all.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:59   #24

The linked TED talk on the subject of early brain development is a must watch for parents with young children or the grandparents of young children (unless you're already conversant on neuroplasticity during early childhood development, etiology of at least some ADHD, etc). If the children are not exposed to screens (e.g. TV/computer/handheld devices) this doesn't apply to your children, but it does to a lot of their peer group.

https://youtu.be/BoT7qH_uVNo

It's rather pointless to blame children for developing in a manner consistent with the environment provided for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ted.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	187997  
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:32   #25

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Quote:
just to admit to all - I spend much of my day in front of multiple screens running three apps. and when onboard I supply my boat with wifi on a fast network so we can work if needed at anchor.

no escaping online work.
And thus what's really wrong with this picture is the hypocrisy of your original statement.

Live and Let Live.....
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:03   #26
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bucknut View Post
And thus what's really wrong with this picture is the hypocrisy of your original statement.

Live and Let Live.....
thanks, Capt.

Paying the bills with my online work is reality, and so is feeling the wind on my face when sticking my head outside the boat. Of course, everyone can live as they wish, but I hope young ones will take a taste of the real world too.
Old 14-03-2019, 12:12   #27

If a person who had never seen or comprehended the concept of a horse were given a still photograph of a horse race with no explanation, would they understand the concept solely from the photo?

Probably not.

The photo isn't really what the OP is interpreting. It is trying to show a variety of options in a single shot. Just like the idea that you need to come out of the cabin every now then, you also have to come in from the cockpit every now and then as well.

Showing a rainy, miserable day isn't appealing in an advertisement unless you're selling umbrellas. They're selling the boat, not the beautiful surroundings.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 17:23   #28

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Enjoying this thread on so many different levels (not least being able to relate to every comment, and the curious mental challenges that this presents).

I recently installed a small second hand TV on my (small second hand) boat, and now find that I have to turn it off when I'm down at the marina or nothing gets done - and there is always lots to be done. I mainly just use it to tempt my screen addicted family down to where they might just get some (accidental) exposure to the amazing marine environment :-)
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 18:17   #29
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, I know any environment without Internet will be an increasingly hard sell, if those concerned are conditioned to have choices in such matters.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 19:55   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Showing a rainy, miserable day isn't appealing in an advertisement unless you're selling umbrellas. They're selling the boat, not the beautiful surroundings.
Ashley, they're selling maritime VSAT antenna systems. Not much point in showing a family sitting outside fishing
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote