Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2009, 15:30   #1
ejg

iPod Hook-up for Stereo?

We're looking for a marine stereo with iPod hook-up...preferrably on the front. We have a JBL right now, but can't seem to find one with front aux in.
Second question, if we have to use one with rear aux-in, how do you attach since it's in the rear? I'm probably missing something obvious...but had to ask. I can't imagine removing stereo each time to attach the cable and not sure how it would fit in its space with a cable running out...
Thanks!
ejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 15:35   #2

Boat: Farrier f27
leave the mini-rca cable hooked to the back. Seems like there's new stereos with better connection to charge the ipod as well as just routing it through the main unit.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 15:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If you prefer the rear Aux In over a front Aux In connector, you can buy a right and left (white and red) RCA connector that adapts to a 1/8 inch male stereo connector....which would plug directly into your iPod. Radio Shack sells them along with many other electronics stores.

Or if you prefer to use the front AUX In connector then get a 1/8 inch stereo male-male connector.

I purchased a stereo for the boat I work on which had the option of buying the cable which goes directly from the back of the head unit into the bottom connector of the iPod. It takes over the iPod interface. The problem is that the head units user interface is horrible. It also does not charge the iPod. Perhaps there are head units with cables out the back that do charge the iPod and have a nicer user interface?

I just bought a Fusion unit for my personal boat where you place the iPod inside the head unit. The user interface is wonderful, the iPod is completely protected from moisture and the user interface I think is almost as good as the iPod's user interface. You can also buy a wired remote for installing at the steering station or wherever. I bought that as well. I am really happy with it. Its much better than the somewhat comparable Sony unit.

http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/north-...6-product.aspx

http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/north-...8-product.aspx

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 16:10   #4

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I have a Poly Planar system that hooks up to the back of the radio to the remote CD player 7 pin jack and has a 15 ft leash that allows me to use it in the cockpit or main salon. It also charges the Ipod. If I put on playlist I can use the floating (yes floating) remote to play, repeat or shuffel the playlist without getting up. Yup... thats cruising!

They also make a simple 3.5mm jack that can be panel mounted for under $10 that
hooks up to the aux out. Jensen also makes a simple panel mount 3.5 called a J-port.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 16:17   #5

I recently bought a Sony xPlod 820 car stereo with and iPod cable which allows you to navigate from the xPlod's front panel. It works great. It comes with an AUX front panel input, flip down panel with CD behind and to my old ears, the sound is fine. It has a wireless remote with is real handy on a boat. I am sure it takes an external amp and it's not expensive when you consider the cost of all things marine. The iPod battery is charged when you plug it in. The iPod chord is about 3'.

Having the music library so accessible is great. Since it's mounted below decks I am OK without the higher priced marinized stuff.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 17:37   #6

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Commercially available stereo

I know there is a German manufactured stereo available which has standard front panel I-Pod connections. Cannot recall the name but was top-end gear. Was advertised and had write-up in one of the English yachting mags (the English still do a much better magazine than the US I have to say). An English memer might have the details or you could try looking up the magazine website - is it YBA.com or something like that. Been a while since I have bothered.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 18:15   #7

Boat: Endeavour 37
Alpine IDA-x100m. I think they are out now. I have the auto version. I went through several units and found many deficient any different ways, mainly their ability to scroll through long libraries. It connects through the rear with a simple ipod usb type cable, charges the battery and scrolls just like your ipod. Great visability with the large screen. Your aux connected ipod cannot charge the ipod battery. Also since you have to control the music through the ipod you cannot tuck it away securely. Of course, sound quality is excellent. Hope this helps and I am in no way connected to the sale or dispursement of Alpine products or any other marine electronics.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 17:37   #8

May I suggest you read this thread for some advice and ideas.

And this post by MaineSail for some additional IPOD options/advice

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 18:12   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411 "Dragonfly"
I just bought a Dual brand marine stereo with an iPod input in the front. There are LOTS of choices for what you want, we just went for the bargain unit for our needs.
Old 23-06-2009, 18:53   #10

I've been drooling over this one ...

The ad for this one says it's ...

"The first Marine Stereo Unit in the world to feature true internal iPod docking. Your iPod actually sits inside a waterproof drawer in the Stereo Unit, and is completely protected from the harsh marine elements. The Marine Stereo Unit also features true iPod integration, enabling complete control and navigation of iPod functions from the Stereo Unit menu."

Here's the link.

But it sure ain't cheap!

Mike
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote