Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2009, 04:39   #31
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My basic test for the Iphone ... has been to try to connect to Active Captain and open up "on the water". I have been unable to do so yet.
ActiveCaptain's interactive cruising guidebook is written in Flash for the web site. There hasn't been a lot of movement to get the full version of Flash ported to the smaller handheld devices. The ActiveCaptain user-interface would surely have to be redesigned for a much smaller screen too.

Instead, we've been creating apps for various mobile phones to work with the ActiveCaptain servers. Windows Mobile and Palm are available today. An iPhone app is in the works along with a few other iPhone goodies. I think that the iPhone has turned the corner and has become an excellent tool for use on boats especially with the new 3GS (faster, compass, etc). We feel so strongly about this that we're re-working our original article on the iPhone where we were pretty critical of using it on a boat as a primary phone/data device.

Today, if I were looking for a new phone for use with boating and cruising, I'd select an iPhone especially if you're not adverse to jailbreaking it (an article about jailbreaking for boating is coming too!).
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 05:31   #32

How does one upgrade the apps? Do you purchase the new version or are they gratis?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 09:38   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfNRG View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm able to tether my laptop to my Blackberry and use it as a modem and go online high speed as long as there is a phone signal. I've been told that you cannot do this with the iPhone (tethering) because AT&T (who iPhone is strictly with) would prefer people to purchase their wireless card to go online. Been very happy with Verizon and Blackberry here in Florida. The Network has the highest coverage. I'm sure it's a whole different world beyond the Sunshine State though.
FYI as far as I understand, regardless of your phone or your carrier, tethering is not allowed per your contract. Only difference is AT&T and Apple made it harder for you to tether in the first place.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 09:40   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSailor View Post
My Iphone 3GS goes everywhere with me. The amount of apps you can use on the water is unbelievable. Apple is planning on releasing the "tethering" feature for the iPhone this fall allowing you to use your data connection on your laptop. No need to jailbreak it. 32 GB of storage is more than enough for me. I put all my movies, music, photos, and still have enough space for who knows what.
Actually it's already out, but not available in the US.
I think there are plans to make release it here, but charges will be just as much as if you have an aircard...on top of what you're already paying for data on the iPhone.
Old 25-07-2009, 09:43   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out the sim card on an Iphone in the Bahamas so one can use their plans? I know people do this with other phones such as the world phone. I love all that my Iphone has to offer, but if you have to do it via international roaming, it adds up very quickly.
Should be able to do this as long as it's unlocked. Just like any other GSM phone.
Old 25-07-2009, 09:47   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
ActiveCaptain's interactive cruising guidebook is written in Flash for the web site. There hasn't been a lot of movement to get the full version of Flash ported to the smaller handheld devices. The ActiveCaptain user-interface would surely have to be redesigned for a much smaller screen too.

Instead, we've been creating apps for various mobile phones to work with the ActiveCaptain servers. Windows Mobile and Palm are available today. An iPhone app is in the works along with a few other iPhone goodies. I think that the iPhone has turned the corner and has become an excellent tool for use on boats especially with the new 3GS (faster, compass, etc). We feel so strongly about this that we're re-working our original article on the iPhone where we were pretty critical of using it on a boat as a primary phone/data device.

Today, if I were looking for a new phone for use with boating and cruising, I'd select an iPhone especially if you're not adverse to jailbreaking it (an article about jailbreaking for boating is coming too!).
Actually I heard Flash for iPhone is finally in the works. No ETA yet, though.
Old 27-07-2009, 06:56   #37

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Should be able to do this as long as it's unlocked. Just like any other GSM phone.
And how does one check to see if it's unlocked or unlock it? Pardon my complete ignorance on this matter.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 07:38   #38
cruiser

To throw in a couple of cents into the discussion:

- iPhone updates to apps are free as long as the developer creates the new version as an update. They could create a new application although that would be considered bad form.

- iPhone tethering is allowed today. In the US, AT&T charges a little less than their normal "aircard" fee so you're not really saving anything by tethering your iPhone. You might as well get an aircard. The only advantage might be that you can turn on and off tethering on a monthly basis and you can't do that with an aircard plan without paying a termination fee. This is the advantage of jailbreaking an iPhone - you don't pay AT&T anything extra to use something like June Fabrics' PDANet for iPhone although you have to pay a one-time charge for PDANet.

- I would want definite confirmation that a BTC (Batelco) SIM would work in an unlocked iPhone. There is something odd about iPhone SIM's from the experiments I've done with other phones. I'm not saying it can't be done - just make sure that it can before you get to the Bahamas.

- Adobe demonstrated real flash under Safari at the developers conference. It violates Apple's developer agreement by offering a framework for developing other applications and will be interesting to see how it plays out.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 11:38   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
And how does one check to see if it's unlocked or unlock it? Pardon my complete ignorance on this matter.
After you jailbreak there's software you can use to unlock.

Or you can usually call your carrier to unlock it, but I think it has to be a year after your contract started.
Old 27-07-2009, 11:56   #40

The iPhone 3G runing r3 has tethering.

ATT is supposed to announce and upcharge for tethering of $30/mo, but haven't yet. At the moment all you need to do is upgrade to 3.0, have itunes on the computer and dnload some freeware to the phone to access the tethering feature (which is already there).

If you buy a separate air card the fee is 60/mo but you can put it on sleep for a $10/mo charge. So tethering will be a better deal IF the service is the same. At the moment it's basically free, but you have to have an iPhone which comes with a data plan ONLY.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone