Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2011, 08:51   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Interesting Kayak ... Thoughts ?

While cruising another forum, I came across this posting, and clicked on the link to the manufactures website.

There is no info as to what material it is made of, other then "rip stop fabric", so not sure of usability in the Caribbean, but it does show it being used in an ocean environment.

The intriguing part is the space it folds into

Thoughts?
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Interesting Kayak... thoughts?

We have friends that cruised with two of these, and they really liked them. We visited while they were in Culebras, and got a chance to try them out a few times - and while I am not a Kayak expert, It worked well.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
While cruising another forum, I came across this posting, and clicked on the link to the manufactures website.

There is no info as to what material it is made of, other then "rip stop fabric", so not sure of usability in the Caribbean, but it does show it being used in an ocean environment.

The intriguing part is the space it folds into

Thoughts?
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:15   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Looks interesting....not a bad price if the quality is there.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:40   #4

Boat: Tartan 30

From what I remember last time I looked into these...most (if not all) of the AE kayaks are made with an inner (multi-layer) PVC inflatable shell, that gets covered with some type of cloth, polyester AFAIK.

They are very durable as far as inflatable's go. I wouldn't leave one inflated on deck for long periods, and I'm not sure if they are really good for scraping along rocky beaches or coral reefs but they are good kayaks by all accounts. They get pretty good reviews (here) on amazon.

ok, decided to google it anyway here ya go...

"Materials and Construction:
The outside cover is made with two different materials; the topside is a high-denier Polyester with a PVC laminate, while the bottom (Hull) is made with a PVC tarpaulin. "PVC tarpaulin" is made by combining two sheets of vinyl with a fabric mesh in the middle. The outer cover provides an additional layer of protection for the inner tube. This is very durable and resistant to stretching and tearing. The perimeter of the cover is electronically welded so that it is watertight. The inflatable tube is made of heavy-duty PVC. When the tube is inflated the outer cover takes form and the kayak becomes more rigid. The bow and stern have rigid forms built-in to the cover, which gives the kayak increased performance on the water. The inflatable seats are constructed using a very durable 420D Nylon Rip-stop fabric with a Polyurethane coating. This offers comfort and support. The seats will float should they happen to get outside of the kayak."
Old 21-05-2011, 10:47   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

300 pounds is a lot for a kayak --i would love to upgrade my kayak-- but it is only 38 pounds and very very handle-able for me. my inflatable kayak is not 80 pounds rolled up and stowed......300 pounds is a lot of weight to manhandle--as much as a small diesel engine....4 nissan 9.8 longshaft outboards.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:58   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Interesting Kayak... thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
300 pounds is a lot for a kayak --i would love to upgrade my kayak-- but it is only 38 pounds and very very handle-able for me. my inflatable kayak is not 80 pounds rolled up and stowed......300 pounds is a lot of weight to manhandle--as much as a small diesel engine....4 nissan 9.8 longshaft outboards.....
300 pounds is the CAPACITY, not the weight.

The weight is listed as 43 pounds.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:59   #7

Amazon has it for $399 with free shipping in the US. Plus a lot of great reviews.

Amazon.com: Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Inflatable Kayak: Sports & Outdoors

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 11:01   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I think you mis-read the specs, Zee. The kayak itself weights 36 lbs. It's the carrying capacity that's 300 lbs.

I've had one for several years now, and really like it. I did a lot of whitewater kayaking "back in the days", and was not too keen on buying a "rubber ducky", but the boat actually performs quite well. Easy to launch, stable, tracks well, comfortable to sit in. I have no complaints. I hope you can do better than $475, though. I bought mine for about $325 with shipping, back in 2005.

Get a foot pump and a collapsible paddle to go with it, and you're set.
Old 21-05-2011, 11:02   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wow--ok so i can fit into it..lol-- 43 pounds is ok for 10.5 or so foot kayak..how much space to stow this one?? looks like it may just do ........ gotta save for this one and find an address to have mail sent......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 11:50   #10

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

I have an inflatable kayak on my boat, not as good quality as this one, but still works well for puttering around on. They are great, easy to inflate, take up little space. Have had a few punctures though, but fairly easy to fix. Have seen these exact kayaks around also, they are popular and are pretty seaworthy.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 12:08   #11

I've two of them. Use them instead of the wasteful, expensive, smelly, noisy dinghy. They are great. At least 3 years old still in good condition. Good exercise paddling ashore and back. Very seaworthy.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 12:51   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With all the positive feedback, I read other owners reviews on Amazon and Paddlenet. Everyone gave them a 8-10 rating, with very little negative comments. It's pretty hard to get that kind of unanimity for anything, so this goes way up to the top of things I need to buy.

At the very least, this is good for one of the "toys". At it's best, it might be a replacement or fall-back for your dink. It's a little light in load carrying capacity for provisions and such, but should be great for shore visits.

Good exercise too, and that is important.
Old 21-05-2011, 13:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
...It's a little light in load carrying capacity for provisions and such, but should be great for shore visits
I carry a huge amount of groceries and such when in a protected anchorage. Even a drunk girl has been slung across the bow when expedient.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 13:10   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I carry a huge amount of groceries and such when in a protected anchorage. Even a drunk girl has been slung across the bow when expedient.
Gee.. ever thought of getting the two person convertible?? lol
Old 23-05-2011, 17:48   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Interesting Kayak ... Thoughts ?

I have a two person AF kayak that I use as my dinghy. Has a 500 lb carrying capacity and works good with one or two paddling. It very stable entering and exiting from the boat and light enough (43#) that I can girlhandle it in and out of the water. For me it works well.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak