Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2015, 13:18   #1

Boat: morgan 41 sloop
how to keep a vehicle while cruising

ive been wondering how im going to go about my hobbies. sailing and offroading. if i leave st marks fl and go to panama city fl what is the best way to go get my vehicle? then, what is the best storage (safety and $) to leave the vehicle so i can sail somewhere new and then go back and get the vehicle over and over? we call it hopscotching a car while cruising. i know it sounds like a lot of hassle and im sure it will be, but i cannot leave my pride n joy corvette for too long and i want to sail all over the gulf o mehico. any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1978 Corvette 6.2TD 4x4.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	102115   Click image for larger version

Name:	07132013098.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	102120  

Attached Files
drousy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 13:33   #2

Re: how to keep a vehicle while cruising

Simply put, forget about it.

Best to rent cars when needed. For anyone who's lived aboard in a marina the challenge of finding parking is often difficult enough. If anchoring, your first concern (should be) safety of your boat with a constant eye on the weather. Moving the boat on short notice to a more secure anchorage may be required, making access to your car more difficult.

Then, don't overlook the possibility of car theft.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 15:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Get an old motorcycle and a trailer for it (some motorcycle trailers are even portable in a bag,) then trailer the motorcycle to your boat destination. Leave the motorcycle there with a wheel-lock and drive back. Sail to your destination. Ride the motorcycle to the car and bring both back. Rent a 5x10 storage unit and store the motorcycle, trailer and all the stuff that clutters up the boat (tools, surfboard, extra sails, stuff that molds easily or doesn't like salty air, fishing gear you rarely use etc) into the storage unit.

If you are going to be moving all the time this could turn into a PITA. OTOH, I have found that spending $45 a month on a small storage unit to declutter the boat is money well spent.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 16:44   #4

Boat: Newport 28

Depends on how much you want to spend to store it, assuming you don't know any friends with a spare garage bay. You could fit it in a large storage rental unit, I've done that with a Cutlass before, was running me $70 a month for the storage.
Old 15-05-2015, 08:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

As 'Wrong' said - think carefully. We did leave a car with a friend many years ago. We returned after 18 months and whilst the car started fine (our friend had started it regularly) we only got a few miles before the oil cooler failed as it had rusted through - just sitting in a locked garage did not help - it really needed to be driven. Over the next two years we spent a lot of money keeping it roadworthy and insured. It was sold at a substantial loss and nowadays we find it cheaper to rent or buy, then sell, if staying somewhere for an extended period.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:58   #6

Boat: O'Day 28

If you are going to be moving all the time this could turn into a PITA. OTOH, I have found that spending $45 a month on a small storage unit to declutter the boat is money well spent.[/QUOTE]

I know PITA, what's OTOH? Do I need a wetsuit for this?
wjrowsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:59   #7

lol wetsuit, its on the other hand...
Old 15-05-2015, 11:16   #8

If you will be stopping for 2-4weeks at a time, it's very doable. If you are moving every 2-3 days, it's more hassle than it's worth.

How we went about it:
- Talked to marina and let them know we would be back for the truck in a few days or a week (or called the new marina to ask if we could drop the truck off there before arriving). It was never an issue.
- Cruised to the new destination.
- Enterprise will pick you up.
- Drive back in rental car.
- One drives the rental and the other drives the truck back to enterprise.
- Drop off Rental Car
- Drive to new marina.
- (If you need to move the truck first, just rearrange the process accordingly)

It usually cost us around $30-40 with each move.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 11:20   #9

so the rental car situation is usually better than say taking the greyhound one way? i daydream about towing my car behind the boat in a conex shipping container lol. my car almost floats
Old 15-05-2015, 12:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drousy88 View Post
so the rental car situation is usually better than say taking the greyhound one way? i daydream about towing my car behind the boat in a conex shipping container lol. my car almost floats
If greyhound is convienent to both marinas, I suppose you could but I have no idea what tickets on greyhound cost. I suspect, it would be a lot more hassle for not much savings.

Of course, bigger tires would solve your problem. No need shipping container, just drive up behind the boat and hook a line on the front axle.
Old 15-05-2015, 12:27   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I think most of the replies have missed the point entirely. OP isn't looking for basic boatyard to West Marine transportation. Look at the photo of the car. He's into offroading. It's a hobby, not a ride to the grocery.

So, based on you want a way to keep your toy handy, your original post pretty well covers it; hopscotching.

1. Move boat
2. Get transportation back to car
3. Drive car to boat.
4. Drive car to mud bog.
6. Go back to #1 and repeat.

Transportation from most places in FL will be problematic. Not really practical to fly as there are very few if any commuter flights between small coastal towns. Occasionally you can find a direct train like Tampa to Palataka, maybe to Miami/Ft Lauderdale. Otherwise you are thumbing it or taking the bus.

Once you get the car to the boat you have another issue. Obviously this doesn't look like your mother's new sedan and it will hang way over your typical compact parking space. Depending on the marina some places might think it's cool and make you a spot by the front door to attract attention. Others will take one look and tell you to get that piece of junk off their property.

All depends on how much hassle you want to go through to keep your toy around.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 12:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drousy88 View Post
One way car rentals are extremely variable. Depends totally on traffic in or out of a particular location. I've rented one way where they offered a big discount because they needed more cars where I was going. I've attempted a one way rental where the price was triple or more the price of a local rental because they needed the cars where I was and had a surplus where I was going.
Old 16-05-2015, 02:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
One way car rentals are extremely variable. Depends totally on traffic in or out of a particular location. I've rented one way where they offered a big discount because they needed more cars where I was going. I've attempted a one way rental where the price was triple or more the price of a local rental because they needed the cars where I was and had a surplus where I was going.
One way car rentals are usually not worth it. The drop off charges are usually way too high. You tag team and return the rental to the original location.
Old 16-05-2015, 05:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
One way car rentals are usually not worth it. The drop off charges are usually way too high. You tag team and return the rental to the original location.
My experience one way rentals worked out about half the time. Just really varied a lot depending on location and the rental company.
Old 26-05-2015, 20:38   #15

As an off roader, at times, I appreciate ethe special vehicle you own. I once saw a Mustang convertible body on a 4x4 frame and engine. Outstanding. With the mud removed, your's must turn heads. Off road, all heads will turn towards your vehicle. To keep that vehicle, you will have to work a bit. It is a decision for you to make. Renting to replace that vehicle is impossible,
Good luck.
stevebein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising