Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Website or Blog for your boat?
Website 125 42.66%
Blog 144 49.15%
Want to know how to do one 36 12.29%
Too Lazy 23 7.85%
Like to keep it private 27 9.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 18:33   #91

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
Re: How Many Have a Boat Blog or Website?

I started a blog about our day-to-day adventures in Sequitur in the summer of 2009, shortly before heading out on our current trip. To date I have made over 130 posts, illustrated with over 2000 photos of our wanderings from Vancouver to Southern Chile.Sequitur's Blog

We have many dozens of dedicated followers, and we currently receive over 200 hits per day. Many of our posts have been published as feature articles in the Bluewater Cruising Association's monthly magazine: Currents, and we have been their cover picture three times in three years.
sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 19:01   #92

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat

Our cruising life began Oct 2010. We started a blog/website as an extension of our paper log and also as a journal for our family to have for years to come. I have no idea if paper or virtual will survive; hope that one will at least!
Began with Sailblogs and switched to WordPress this summer. For me, it's like therapy... or perhaps an obsession??
Lori
Old 07-12-2011, 05:20   #93

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I started a website a couple of months ago. We've got family and friends who want to know how our plans and experiences progress as we move from getting rid of assets to finding our new home.
I've had a bit of fun putting it together and I'm using this interim period to put some fun stuff on it.
There is a blog on the website but I've only done the initial post so far.
I will add a bit from time to time, but we'll post regularly when we've cut our last anchor here and head overseas for our boat hunt.

I can highly recommend Weebly as a free, user friendly website building system. Hell, I'm an IT dinosaur and folk seem to think it turned out ok.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:41   #94

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma

Started one a few years ago then the host changed everything on us so I gave it up. It covered a trip from Grenada right up to and pulled out at St Augustine. Just this year we started another so it's a little sparse at the moment but will pick up after Jan / Feb. www.SVDaruma.blogspot.com and on there are a link or 2 to friends.
Cheers!
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52   #95

Boat: Cascade, 36

Thanks for posting all these great blog links! I've had a bit of an obsession with sailing blogs since we first began to consider the idea of sailing to distant lands, and once we bought a boat in August I started writing one at http://bettiedelmar.blogspot.com. I've found it incredibly fun, and both reading blogs and writing one keep me inspired and focused on the adventure.
BettiedelMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:20   #96

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I started up a blog in June, detailing the tear down and rebuild of Sabre Dance, my Roberts 38. Its a sort of hit or miss thing, but it does get into the meat and potatoes of gutting a steel boat. Address is in my sig.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 18:25   #97

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We have a blog about our trip down the ICW this year. Started it to help family and friends follow us. But it is lots of fun to post pictures and comments abt our travels. http://svpattyd.blogspot.com.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 18:53   #98

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'

I started one when we decided we were going. Just got to pv yesterday to get the boat ready for the family. Hopefully we'll be off in Jan so it gets more interesting than "still tied up, boats still a mess" LOL
Run For The Border
ovrmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 20:31   #99

Boat: searching

Travels with Herb & Laura

We took the boat to British Columbia this past summer. Not much happening lately, a little local hiking. Just a boring little blog for family and friends, stop by leave a comment.
Old 21-12-2011, 09:37   #100

Boat: Made offer on a Regal
Re: How Many Have a Boat Blog or Website ?

I have a web site for family and friends only. Set it up through google sites. Free easy and you can make it public or just let the people you want. Can add any type of video feed or pictures. Also has a blog. If any is interested just google google sites. Hope this helps
Liltttzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07   #101
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I started a blog several years ago, and I think it's up to something like 260+ posts now. It's not really a boat blog, although probably 75% of it is photos of, from, or about boats. The goal is to try to keep it about what it's like for American expatriates living here in a small tropical island nation. Last time I checked, people from over 200 countries have read it, and at the moment we are averaging around 500-600 page views per day. So SOMEbody must like the photos.

Or maybe it's the cute dog.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28   #102

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I started with a website as soon as we bought the boat....which was the year prior to moving aboard and beginning full-time cruising. Updating that website required an internet connection and that became a bit cumbersome. Arriving in a port after a long passage or arriving in an anchorage where internet was available turned out to be the times that I was least interested in dealing with the website. Those were the times to get off the boat and explore the new location. Too busy to want to deal with updating the website then.

In early 2009 while we were in a New Zealand marina for months and had plenty of time to waste, I started using Blogspot and slowly set up our 'website.' Blogspot is free; whereas, the previous website cost about $50 per year. But the main reason for switching to Blogspot is that I can update it (text only) via SSB email. It does not require internet access to post to the Blogspot website. Internet access is required to upload photos, but not to post text. So it is easy to update the blog during long passages or just about any time. Photos can be added later as time permits when in ports with internet access.

Eventually I hope to move all the old website postings and photos to the Blogspot site so that our entire circumnavigation can be recorded in one spot. For now, I have entered at least one posting for each country we visited prior to moving the website to Blogspot in 2009. Hope to eventually add more stories and photos of our early cruising experiences.

Judy

S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 06:10   #103

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

Brenda and I have also started our blog to document our journey from sailing to cruising. We are Midwest sailors who are prepping for our move to the Gulf Shores area. Join us as we sail, learn, make mistakes and love every day of it.

The nest is empty, let the party begin!

Fair winds.

Mike and Brenda
Miss B's Haven
Wrinklesinoursails.Blogspot.Com
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 06:22   #104

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've finally started catching up on my blog pages at January 2012 Blog and Diary
Old 14-01-2012, 06:50   #105

Boat: Albin Vega V-3358

Started my blog/webpage when I purchased my Albin Vega.

Part for documenting the rebuilt in pictures and text, helping other Vega owners in technical questions.
Part for retirement cruising when that day come.

Did most of programming myself, like to learn new things, and exercise my mind.

Albin Vega V-3358 - s/y Röde Orm
Restoration in progress, look here.
Fr0zen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat