Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Website or Blog for your boat?
Website 125 42.66%
Blog 144 49.15%
Want to know how to do one 36 12.29%
Too Lazy 23 7.85%
Like to keep it private 27 9.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 27-07-2008, 15:28   #61

Boat: Lagoon 420 Seas the Day
We recently began a website as we prepare to move aboard Seas the Day, Seas The Day. There isn't much content about our sailing adventures yet, other than following the route of our Lagoon 420 from France to Ft. Lauderdale, but there will be much more starting in mid-August. Right now, it's just about getting ready to leave land. This site was created using a Mac and iWeb software, part of the iLife suite (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, iWeb and iDVD). For anyone with a Mac, I highly recommend using iWeb. In the past, I've used a variety of software for other websites I've created, including Dreamweaver, but iWeb is by far the easiest to use. iWeb allows you to do many things effortlessly with one step. For example, you simply drag photos onto a page in iWeb from your desktop or iPhoto, and they are automatically sized correctly for the web, arranged in columns or albums, set up with a slideshow function, etc. There is a blog page which is very easy to use and includes all of the typical features of blogs. All of the other iLife pieces interact with iWeb, so you can add movies and music with a simple click. The learning curve to use iWeb is quick. If you have a mac.com account (now called MobileMe), uploading to the web is done directly from the iWeb software by clicking the "publish" button.
Jan
Old 27-07-2008, 15:53   #62

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
I started my website in response to people wanting me to email them what was happening and where I was. i started it during the time I was ordering the boat, getting rid of stuff, packing, and trying to organize finances and sell the house.
It turns out I documented overcoming the hurdles to going cruising. But I finally made it and have got several months into cruising.
I use the very simple program from Yahoo, which is loaded onto the computer and update the site anytime. When I get high speed internet, it is simple to update to the web.
It was fun to be anchored at the end of Spa Creek in Annapolis, and have somebody in a powerboat come by and ask if I am the guy from California with the website about the Leopard 40. It is also a fun way to be able to connect with others interested in the boat.
Changing Spots Home Page

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 07:15   #63

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
See ours... Alondra Sailing || Sailing in Style

Great fun doing it! Cuurently Cochin, India
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 20:16   #64

ours is at Float Our Boat
Thanks for visiting!
Old 15-08-2008, 00:59   #65

Boat: now floating easy37
i've posted my building one on here undermy thread northerncat
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 18:41   #66

Boat: Bavaria 44 AC Deep Keel
I also keep a blog/website to keep family and friends (mine and those of my crew) updated. I find it's fun to read myself when I've been ashore for a while though. Having the story with the photos is much better than just checking out your snaps.

S.V. Sunny Spells · The chronicle of Sailing Vessel Sunny Spells
gmalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 04:40   #67

Send a message via AIM to spunkymelos
We have a website, helps keep the motivation up since we have just begun to really turn the dream into something tangible.

www.theaquaknot.com
spunkymelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 14:18   #68

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Out of Boredom, We started working on one a couple of weeks ago. Sooo, If anyone out there is bored enough to look at it ......... www.Mobetah.blogspot.com
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 12:29   #69

Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36
We have two!! We started doing one in response to a load of requests about ferrocement boats and how to deal with them. Its still in progress but you can see it at www.concretefloats.com. The other has been started recently and will become the online logbook and blog of our travels starting next year- although we are also adding stories of our previous sails onto it as well. Thats at www.sailingmissmoneypenny.com and is most defintiely in its early stages, but its certainly a lot of fun!

www.concretefloats.com
www.sailingmissmoneypenny.com
miss-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 11:11   #70

Boat: Tashiba 40
First Mate's Blog

My blog is geared more toward the first mate's experience. I try to give a realistic and hopefully entertaining account of living aboard along with a little advice. I'd love for other first mates to contribute or comment.
Old 30-09-2008, 12:14   #71

Boat: Ovni 445
Trying to optimize

I have a website and a blog that I'm trying to keep up to date. I have yet to really find my "format", but I'm working on it.
Old 25-02-2009, 12:30   #72

Boat: Gibsea 126
Remote Blogging via email

We have both a blog and a website but usually end up using the blog more because of it's remote email capabilities (Free with Blogger). Basically.. if you can email, you can blog!!

For those of you who use blogger/blogspot, we've created a set of free utilities that make it easy/automatic to add maps/photos to your blog posts, including editing photos remotely. Just add your position in the correct lat/lng format and we can map your blog post (both interactive maps and in blog dynamic popup maps). Check out our blog for working examples.

You can also combine your blog with mapped entries from your webpage, the interactive map (see example) will be automatically updated when you make a new blog post (even from the middle of the ocean).

Even if you don't use the utilities, adding position information also makes it easier to communicate/share anchorages, things to do etc.

We'd love feedback from fellow bloggers.

Blogger is completely free and increadibly flexible, but if you need/want help setting up you blog we can do that too.
svbillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 13:16   #73

Boat: Catalina 250 WB - Vida Nova
Free sailboat/sailing website

I have one on My Sailboat Blog. It's specialized for sailboat owners wanting to publish info on their sailboat, voyages, tips & tricks. Its free, full featured and easy to use. You can blog or post static pages. Quite new at the moment since it was launched only last week, but already have 7 web sites. They also give you your own domain name. Have a look at mine through my signature link.
Old 25-02-2009, 14:14   #74

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I'm working on a website emphasizing information and images of the Bahamas based on my sailing there.

A project that includes design, research, photography, sailing and sharing with other - not bad at all.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:26   #75

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Jim, your website is awesome. I too spent a half hour clicking and viewing and those pictures are great! Not those tiny thumbnail pics you usually get, and whoever does majority of the writing is a fine writer as well. I have bookmarked your site for further reading... It's a perfect example of what so many cruisers out there need to do to spread the fever of cruising to the population that so doesnt understand the reasons.
Keep up the good work and the beautiful entries, nice job.
db

Tags
boat