Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 07:29   #16

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: How Exactly Do these Yo-Yo Reels Work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poroto View Post
I don't how if you guys have seen this video before, but it's worth watching. It is from TeamGoogan on youtube, he hooks a sailfish with a yoyo from a kayak.

https://youtu.be/WcdIEo5ar0g
Maybe I am an old softie but I would be wearing gloves.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:34   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I don't how if you guys have seen this video before, but it's worth watching. It is from TeamGoogan on youtube, he hooks a sailfish with a yoyo from a kayak.

https://youtu.be/WcdIEo5ar0g
Nice!

My best catch to date was a 42-inch striped bass under sail; not as studly as that. Also a large sting ray, which though lighter, was far more trouble to land.

Obviously rigging and lure details are local.

a. Obviously no bungee is needed. When trolling you will have ~ 150' of line out, which provides ~ 50x more stretch than the redundant bungee. Kinna like putting a rubber snubber on a nylon anchor rope.

b. Though he was handling the line with his fingers, note that he took the heavy load on the real. This is how you avoid cutting fingers. You would think gloves might help, but they don't.

c. I like rigging the line through a flatline clip when trolling. It makes it easier to detect strikes.

Fishing Rigs for Sailors - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article
Old 05-12-2015, 07:42   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

[QUOTE=thinwater;1979133]SNIP

You would think gloves might help, but they don't.

c. I like rigging the line through a flatline clip when trolling. It makes it easier to detect strikes.

SNIPQUOTE]

Gloves are a big OK when grabbing the bill of a bill fish. Also help if you happen to make a mistake and a finger or line ends up someplace you did not think it would be.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Cuban Yo-Yos are actually designed to be casting reels. A right handed person will hold the yo yo in their left hand with the front of the Yoyo facing toward the fish. You throw the bait with your right hand and the line feeds off the front of the Yoyo just like it does from a spinning reel. The fellow who caught the billfish with the Yoyo used the correct technique to retrieve the line. Left hand pulls the fish in, right hand wraps the line on the Yoyo. Sailors tend to use them as just a line storage device but they are actually pretty sophisticated fishing reels.
Plastic Yoyo Hand Reel's -Black
Agreed. I mostly use them for trolling in which case their main purpose is line storage. That said, twirling the lure above your head using centrifugal force with one hand and holding the reel in the other you can do a very good job of casting.

I would say with practice you can get comparable distance and accuracy to what you can achieve with a pole. Watch out on a sailboat though, that pesky standing rigging can mess you up!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 19:17   #20

Thanks for the welcome GordMay.

I don't like wearing a glove because I find them cumbersome, but sometime I use sports tape on my three of my fingers. If you are trolling in deep water I would recommend using some kind of protection, I've been cut by the line a few times using a traditional yoyo. It has a lot to do with the monofilament you put on it, with the yoyito I use Sufix Siege and it is very smooth and much less likely to bite into your skin, but other lines like Ande BackCountry have very low friction too.

BTW, the old timers used a cut piece of bicycle tire inner tube around their fingers. That works too and it is great for creating drag on the line.
poroto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 19:24   #21

I just found this video of a guy pulling a marlin hand-over-hand without gloves.

Warning if you watch this with young kids around, there is plenty of foul language on this video.

https://youtu.be/13KDRyoUD9k
Old 06-12-2015, 05:23   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

gloves get inthe way. i use 100 pound test blue braided line, not monofilament. easier to hand over hand the fishie into boat. no hand cuts. also makes for better slipknot and affixment to shrouds thanmono, which resists being knotted when ye want to knot it and makes mess of knots when ye dont.
funny how mexicans manage here to hand over hand and use wierd stuff for fishing, an dsrtill catch the beauties and tournament winning fishies--marlin, pez vela and tuna... dorado......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:33   #23

zeehag,

What brand and model of 100 lbs braid are you using? I have not found anything that is not abrasive. I would love to try the one you are using.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2015, 13:07   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
zeehag,

What brand and model of 100 lbs braid are you using? I have not found anything that is not abrasive. I would love to try the one you are using.

Thanks
dont know brand. came with boat. is braided n blue. opaque stuff. 100 pound test.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 13:49   #25
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I have used these with and without gloves, and other than the moment of landing (gloves help then!), I'm not convinced gloves add any safety at all. Note that I am a complete wimp with my hands, after many over use injuries, and wear sailing gloves all the time.

The trick is to wind like a kite, moving the yo-yo in a figure-8 pattern using your good arm, placing all of the load on the yo-yo. Not easy in the kayak, but easy on a sailboat. I've landed rays so large they nearly stopped the boat under sail (just small trolling sails)! The only time I use my fingers is to guide the line onto the reel, and if still fishing, to feel the pick-up. After that, it is ALL reel and very little pressure on the fingers.

Never just pull the line. While fisherman get away with that, there is no need, you create tangles, and it gets caught in your feet. Need to let some line run? that is MUCH easier to control with the reel.

(the guy in the kayak is sharp, but the guy on the power boat was just lucky--he could have been hurt.)
Old 06-12-2015, 15:41   #26

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

How and where do you attach the bungee?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 15:43   #27

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
How and where do you attach the bungee?
I just drilled a hole in mine and attached the bungee that way!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 17:34   #28

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

So a Yo Yo reel is just a traditional hand line right?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 18:01   #29

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
So a Yo Yo reel is just a traditional hand line right?Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn

It's a donut shape thing with one side lower than the the other. You point the low side aft and the line pays out. Turn it around and then wind it up. Maybe 8" in dia. Ever since I lost our $500 pole and reel ovbd, I go with the YoYo.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:43   #30

So what is the best way to attach the mono to the yo yo? Drill a hole in it, or just tie it around the reel?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote