Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 13:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

How Exactly Do these Yo-Yo Reels Work ?

Considering the price and the positive feedback I've seen, I'm considering a few for trolling. But I'm a little confused, and not having much luck with google. How exactly do you reel it in, after you catch something?

Also, they need to have some give in order to trip the trigger, correct? That's what the bungee is for right?

Lastly any recommendations on which model/size to get. I saw a post on one of the fishing boards from a guy who said he's been using them for 40 years, and recommended nothing but the Whites Auto Fisher, but based on his location and his post I don't think he was using them for trolling.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 14:08   #2

Boat: csy 37
lots of fishing stores carry them, even saw them in walmart. or just go on line. shouldn't cost more than a few dollars for a heavy plastic one.

you just wrap a hundred feet or so of heavy line around the reel and then add a leader if you want and some terminal tackle and a lure.

the bungee cord provides the 'give' that the line needs when you get a strike.

as for reeling the line in, that's a hand over hand operation. you might want to wear gloves for that.

greg delezinskys video is good and descriptive.

it's about as simple as you can get. they stow almost anywhere, unlike the four rods and reels i carry.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 16:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cheap and stows easy works for me. I'm thinking a few of them for trolling, a Penn or Shimano for casting with an old boat pole while at anchor, and of course a pole spear.

This is the one I was thinking of. I believe it's the White's Auto-Fisher, which was recommended by someone on one of the fishing boards. Only $9 for 3, or $25 for 12 of them. The guy who recommended this one claimed to have been fishing with yo-yos for 40+ years.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 16:50   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Cuban yo-yo's are quite adequate for fishing. Only hard part is trying to land the fish. It's better if you have a helper to reel in the slack while you haul the fish in, hand over hand. Of course you have to use gloves. I used them for years (with a piece of surgical tubing to take the weight when you get a strike) but in my old age I've become soft and now use a rod and a good-sized reel.
Old 04-12-2015, 14:10   #5

Thumbs up Re: How Exactly Do these Yo-Yo Reels Work ?

Handline fishing with a YoYo is not only adequate, in my opinion is one of the best ways to fish. I fish at least 3 times a week, some time even more and I see people all the time struggling with their rods trying to land fish that are not even a couple of pounds. The reason for this, is that a fishing rod i like a crowbar, you hold the short end and the fish pulls on the long one. Basically, this configuration gives the fish the mechanical advantage. I on the other hand fish exclusively with a yoyito, which I carry in my pocket most of the time. I can land big fish without breaking a sweat all day long. The issue about getting your fingers burned by line friction basically goes away if you use a good quality monofilament line like Sufix Siege or Ande BackCountry. These modern fishing lines are extremely smooth, I have yet to get burn with them.

Hopes this helps.
poroto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 14:29   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: How Exactly Do these Yo-Yo Reels Work ?

I love my Yo-Yos.. Connected to a bungie on each corner of the boat (cat). The only part that suck is the pile of line might be tangled during a "reel in".
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 14:41   #7

travellerw, unless I'm trying to land a monster (over 40 lbs) I don't pull it hand-over-hand, I just wind the line back on to the yoyito as a reel in. Granted, it does take some practice to reel in fast this way, but it is very convenient because you don't have a mess of line on the floor. Another important point is to minimize the risk of been pulled in the water by something big, I don't put line that is more than 20 lbs on my yoyitos, this means I have to be smart when fighting the fish giving him line when needed and basically using my hands to create drag and prevent the line from breaking.

If you have not seen someone reel in this way, check out the following youtube video: https://youtu.be/GS-TvjNr5jA

You can you the same reeling technique for any type of yoyo.
Old 04-12-2015, 15:13   #8

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I use a one and put the bungee on my jib track that is not being used at the time. I then wrap a couple of turns around the winch. This allows me to pull it in much faster instead of feeding the sharks.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:20   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

One other thing I forgot to add.. Its best to get the fish skimming as quick as you can. Once they are on the surface and skimming, they can't fight (real hard to swim in the air). Once that happens, I know I'm having sushi!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:28   #10

I don't how if you guys have seen this video before, but it's worth watching. It is from TeamGoogan on youtube, he hooks a sailfish with a yoyo from a kayak.

https://youtu.be/WcdIEo5ar0g
Old 05-12-2015, 04:19   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, poroto.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:05   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you do not NEEED anything for trolling behind boat. i use a line with a lure and affix it to the lower aft mizzeenshroud. nothing to foul up and i catch all that nips my line. a slipknot makes it obvious that the fish is on and the slipknot assists in setting hook well. hand over hand bring in fishee and eat. i have broken rods and reels, so i use nothing but line and lure. perfect. and simple. doesnnt get lost or broken. nice n cheap and simple aand most effective way to catch fish i have found.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:19   #13

I use 130 pound spectra tuna line for my rig. If I am feeling particularly lazy or if it is a big fish I will put the line on a winch and reel it in.

Not very sporting I know, but it's not about sport for me, it's about sustenance.

One important thing that seems to be missing from the discussion, once you reel it in how do you land it? Net or gaff will help you avoid the pain of watching expensive lures go bye-bye at the last minute. I suggest you have both.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Gaff, net is kind for a fish you want to release, but a gaff is much more effective, especially if the fish is of any real size.
Every now and again, I get a good sized shark or even a big cuda, I let them have the lure, risk of injury is too great.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:22   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Cuban Yo-Yos are actually designed to be casting reels. A right handed person will hold the yo yo in their left hand with the front of the Yoyo facing toward the fish. You throw the bait with your right hand and the line feeds off the front of the Yoyo just like it does from a spinning reel. The fellow who caught the billfish with the Yoyo used the correct technique to retrieve the line. Left hand pulls the fish in, right hand wraps the line on the Yoyo. Sailors tend to use them as just a line storage device but they are actually pretty sophisticated fishing reels.
Plastic Yoyo Hand Reel's -Black