Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 09:18   #1

Boat: 1981 Com-Pac 23
How Do You Spend Your Time ?

For all you long term cruisers out there, how do you spend your days? I have always thought that I wanted to eventually do some serious cruising (at least 6 months to 1 year in the Caribbean, but probably longer and to more distant ports). Recently, my wife and I went on a vacation (not sailing related) for 2 weeks. While I had a great time, I was ready to get back to work by the end of the trip. I can only sit around for so long without getting bored and feeling the need to do something. I am just starting my career, so those feelings might change in 15-20 years. But what do you do to fill your time while cruising for long periods of time?
BlueWaterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 09:26   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The problem is not how to fill time but having time to do everything!
Old 22-06-2010, 09:30   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Work on boat, work on boat, work on boat, when were not working on the boat were riding bicycles around exploring. More exploring either sailing rowing or motoring around in the dingby. When were underway a lot of reading gets done, fishing poles are tended to and the menial maintenance like polishing stainless and working on teak finish gets done. Somewhere between the above I do canvas work for others to make ends meet. There's always partying and visiting with all the friends we've made on our cruising route. If you've been chartering its a whole different thing keeping your own boat up, there's ALWAYS a list of things to be done that never seems to get any shorter.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 09:47   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sitting around on a boat is very different from being stuck in a hotel or resort or whatever nightmare you were dragged into!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 09:50   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Cruising is working on the boat in exotic places...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 09:52   #6

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Don't forget, if you're interested in diving, there's a compressor to maintain if you're lkucky enought o own one like me. Tanks to fill, gear to rinse and dry, and check almost daily, plus the diving too... in addition to the above stuff. Near ports or cities with Wi-Fi you update blogs, post pics, hit the boards, email, all the stuff you do now plus the maint on the boat as well, ordering new replacment stuff like filters, gasket kits etc. that you use during that maint. inspecting the riggin and lines, order stuff to replace, make arrangements to get packages and deliveries at strange ports-'o call, etc. deal with customs, make sure the paperwork and insurnace is in order, keep passports up to date, deal with banking stuff. .. the list is indeed endless.
I guarentee you won't be bored, unless you're lazy now.
Old 22-06-2010, 10:07   #7

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Don't underestimate the time needed to maintain and 'fix' things on the boat.... as other's have already pointed out. Grocery shopping can easily take a morning or longer, as you'll be walking a lot or figuring out the public transportation. Searching for boat parts can take a day. Plus all the 'normal' household management stuff like paying bills, doing laundry, etc. You'll meet a lot of friends and will spend quite a bit of time socializing. We hike, sightsee, swim, explore. And work on the boat. You'll only get bored if you want to.
Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 10:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Yep. Pretty much what everyone else said. Always some projects to do on the boat, plus once you've explored one place you can up anchor and go to another. You can go to foreign places and work on language skills.

Diving could keep me busy several days a week.

Forget 2 weeks. I go to the beach and get bored in 2 days. Never could figure the attraction of sitting in the sand all day.

On a boat you will also adjust to an easier pace of life. Trip to the store is not a mad dash to get the errand done and get home before dinner or back to the office before lunch is over.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 10:38   #9

Boat: 1981 Com-Pac 23
Thanks for the encouragement. I may have underestimated the amount of work required on a cruising boat. Right now I sail a very simple 23' sloop. It consists of a hull, 2 sails, a rudder, and a pull-start outboard. I currently don't even have an electrical system. All I need is to keep the hull clean and give the boat a good scrubbing every few weeks.
BlueWaterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 11:06   #10

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Oh, to dream of days spent with so little to do..... LoL
Old 22-06-2010, 12:02   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Living on a boat is very different from going to a resort. I get bored out of my mind if I have to spend two weeks in Cancun or any other resort where you just look at the beach or palm trees or watch the sights on the beach or go on trips to see the ruins but on a boat you're home and it's comfortable. No need for air conditioning or 300 channels on the satellite tv. Just being aboard is enough.

As for chores try spending the morning lugging 100 plus gallons of water in jerry jugs. Beach the dink, up the hill, fill the jugs, down the hill (lugging two 6 1/2 gal jugs at a time), turn the dink around, push into deeper water, back to the boat, hump the jugs onto the deck, empty into the tanks, repeat four or five times! You'll wonder where the day went.
Old 22-06-2010, 12:57   #12

I think long passages are supposed to be boring. The ones that aren't are scary and dangerous. At anchor - Yup, boat chores, shopping, socializing, reading. It depends on where you are, but in a place like St. Lucia: snorkling, scuba diving, zip lining through the jungle, horse back riding on the beach, kite boarding, visiting the volcano, trekking to the hot springs and mud baths. You may be exhausted, but there is no excuse for being bored.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 14:11   #13

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
As for chores try spending the morning lugging 100 plus gallons of water in jerry jugs. Beach the dink, up the hill, fill the jugs, down the hill (lugging two 6 1/2 gal jugs at a time), turn the dink around, push into deeper water, back to the boat, hump the jugs onto the deck, empty into the tanks, repeat four or five times! You'll wonder where the day went.
You just made a very good case in favor of spending hard earned money on a water maker! Good Show!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 14:20   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I'm usually up with the sun, or before if I'm going out to do some sunrise photo ops or a morning walk. If not, I watch the sun rise and plan the day.

Work on the boat most of the morning, trying to do a couple small repairs or maybe on large chore. If the weather's sweet, then maybe forgo work for a dive. PM is generally done in the AM so if I find a problem I have the afternoon to figure out a fix, get some advise, or order the part.

Lunch.

From around 12:30 - 3:00 I'm not doing much as that's the heat of the day in the Caribbean. I'll clean the waterline, snorkel the anchor and chain, and give the bottom a good look. If I go ashore, it's to find shade or meet folks under the shade for some conversation. If I'm on board, I'm reading, dreaming, or relaxing.

3-6pm - Chores I can do while the heat dissipates.

6pm onwards - Maybe a beach walk, volleyball game, sundowners, folks over for G&Ts, dinner, watch the sunset, sunset shower, then relax with a book or check the email, in bed by 10pm.

Exciting, ain't it!
Old 22-06-2010, 14:40   #15
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Make the beds, cook breakfast, eat, wash the dishes, clean the galley, sweep the floors, dust the shelves, make lunch, wash up, clean the galley, scrub the decks, scour the steelwork, make dinner, wash up, clean the galley, relax...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote