Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 05:59   #31

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Hookamax

Details on how or why it shut down?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:03   #32

Boat: Lyle Hess 30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We’ve owned and used a Hookamax for 4 years, the compressor is Junk with a capital “J.” directly from Harbor freight and will rust up within a week or two. The rest of the system including the hose and regulator are fine. The Brownie stuff looks like a step up from HookaMax.

Just purchase the hose, regulators and attachments from either company, then purchase a Porter Cable pancake type oil free compressor from the Home Depot for $90. Or for a step up, purchase an industrial quality compressor for around $600. We have all three options.

Either way, take some quality scuba lessons before using Hookah so you don’t kill yourself.... it’s actually quite easy to do. Most scuba related deaths take place in shallow waters.
I should have classified that my wife and I are both certified.

As to your opening statement I'm a little confused by your comment that the motor froze up right away but you used a hookamax for four years. What did you shift to that served you well?
drewcathell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:18   #33

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Brownie's uses Thomas compressors, which (if you know about such things) are of the very highest quality. Any electric compressor will shut down if it overheats. And let's face it, this guy doesn't seem to know anything about safe diving practices and obviously runs his compressor in a poorly-ventilated, warm spot aboard.
Not entirely sure why fstbttms has taken quite such exception to "this guy" but I should clarify that the equipment is located in a well ventilated and shaded space above (and separate from) an engine compartment, with the hatch open, as well as the Brownie box itself being open. However, this is the tropics with daytime ambient temp 32-34degC. The equipment location is chosen partly to give close proximity to a starter battery. It is now hard wired to the battery to avoid problems with the Brownie crocodile clips and male/female connector which did seem sub-standard and not adequate for the load. Perhaps in my case the overheating was partly caused by my heavy use of air, as pointed out by someone earlier.

In any event, it is something to bear in mind when considering your purchase.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21   #34

Boat: Privilege 435

Can anyone recommend a suitable 12v compressor to go with my system? I have all the proper hoses and regulator installed via a particle filter and powered by this a aquarium compressor...

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Aqua...gateway&sr=8-6

I purchased this one as recommended in a previous thread but I've found that it doesn't supply quite enough air. I only use it for diving my drives and although it just about works, I find that I have to suck hard to get enough air. Its specs are; OUTPUT: 160LPM /Min POWER: 120W VOLTAGE: DC 12V PRESSURE: 0.12MPa

Would an accumulator tank help? The pump turns off when I'm not inhaling. Which is the important spec? volume of air it can supply?

Thanks in advance. (P.S I'm a qualified diver)!
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:28   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
Not entirely sure why fstbttms has taken quite such exception to "this guy" but I should clarify that the equipment is located in a well ventilated and shaded space above (and separate from) an engine compartment, with the hatch open, as well as the Brownie box itself being open. However, this is the tropics with daytime ambient temp 32-34degC. The equipment location is chosen partly to give close proximity to a starter battery. It is now hard wired to the battery to avoid problems with the Brownie crocodile clips and male/female connector which did seem sub-standard and not adequate for the load. Perhaps in my case the overheating was partly caused by my heavy use of air, as pointed out by someone earlier.

In any event, it is something to bear in mind when considering your purchase.

Chris,
Thanks for the details.

Bill O.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:45   #36
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Details on how or why it shut down?
My compressors live in large plastic milk crates. Back in the day, to keep the compressor dry, I lined the crate sides with lexan. On occasion, on a really hot day in direct sunlight, the compressor would overheat and shut down (it would start up again after a few minutes.) Since removing the lexan side covers, this has never occurred.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:48   #37
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Can anyone recommend a suitable 12v compressor to go with my system?
Yes- the Thomas 270025

Old 06-03-2019, 07:49   #38

Boat: L42

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a suitable 12v compressor to go with my system? I have all the proper hoses and regulator installed via a particle filter and powered by this a aquarium compressor...

I purchased this one as recommended in a previous thread but I've found that it doesn't supply quite enough air. I only use it for diving my drives and although it just about works, I find that I have to suck hard to get enough air. Its specs are; OUTPUT: 160LPM /Min POWER: 120W VOLTAGE: DC 12V PRESSURE: 0.12MPa

Would an accumulator tank help? The pump turns off when I'm not inhaling. Which is the important spec? volume of air it can supply?

Just rough calculations are 17.4 pounds per square in is barely enough pressure to breath at 1 foot below water level. Remember that the depth of your lungs is what matters, not your regulator. I believe you need more pressure. While an accumulator tank would probably slightly help, I think you would still have a pressure problem.

Good Luck!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:14   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The intermediate pressure for most Scuba regulator systems is about 150 PSI.
The intermediate pressure is what the first stage knocks tank pressure down to.
So ideally if your using a Scuba second stage, (most all do) then your compressor should keep the pressure at 150 PSI or so.

Most won’t, most will turn off at about 120 PSI, but most quality Scuba second stages can be adjusted for this lower pressure to work just fine.

Most compressors are rated to produce their rated cu Ft per min output at lower pressures, the lower the pressure, the higher their output is, so be sure to read the specs.

My SAC rate (surface air consumption) is .67 cu Ft per min when swimming sedately, so for cleaning a hull, I figure I need 1 cu Ft per min.

I use this compressor which makes over 2 cu Ft per min at its higher rated pressure and it’s plenty. I can’t over breathe it, and it is in fact nearly silent, it’s no louder then a sewing machine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just me, but I can’t stand those noisy pancake compressors, they are excessively loud.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:05   #40

Boat: Privilege 435

Thanks for your help gents. A64, I was looking for a 12v pump. Fsb, $1200 seems expensive for something I'll only use a few times a year. I did ask for recommendations and you answered. What I should have asked is 'what's the cheapest 12v pump I can get away with'.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:10   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The intermediate pressure for most Scuba regulator systems is about 150 PSI.
The intermediate pressure is what the first stage knocks tank pressure down to.
So ideally if your using a Scuba second stage, (most all do) then your compressor should keep the pressure at 150 PSI or so.

Most won’t, most will turn off at about 120 PSI, but most quality Scuba second stages can be adjusted for this lower pressure to work just fine.

Most compressors are rated to produce their rated cu Ft per min output at lower pressures, the lower the pressure, the higher their output is, so be sure to read the specs.

My SAC rate (surface air consumption) is .67 cu Ft per min when swimming sedately, so for cleaning a hull, I figure I need 1 cu Ft per min.

I use this compressor which makes over 2 cu Ft per min at its higher rated pressure and it’s plenty. I can’t over breathe it, and it is in fact nearly silent, it’s no louder then a sewing machine.
Just me, but I can’t stand those noisy pancake compressors, they are excessively loud.

A64,
That is a nice compressor especially w/an aluminum tank. Will also agree the pancake is loud, but use one because I had one. May need to look closer at the one you suggested.

Personally I don't use a SCUBA regulator for hooka and use a lower pressure regulator designed to run on the Brownies and most other hooka systems (for example this one). Typically these require a pressure output of 50-65 psi.
Will agree, you do need to match up regulator pressure and flow requirements to make a system work properly.

Bill O.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:10   #42
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Fsb, $1200 seems expensive for something I'll only use a few times a year.
When you ask somebody who earns his living with a hookah, he's not likely to recommend a cheapo POS.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:16   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcathell View Post
I should have classified that my wife and I are both certified.

As to your opening statement I'm a little confused by your comment that the motor froze up right away but you used a hookamax for four years. What did you shift to that served you well?
“Rust up,” HookaMax uses a cheap Chinese POS 12v compressor not meant for the marine environment which developed exterior rust after only a couple of uses. It still runs after coating it, but it’s ugly and the wiring was replaced by us. A $90 Porter Cable 110v is much better. We also have a Thomas that Fstbttms recommended.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:21   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That IS the Hookamax compressor.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:25   #45
cruiser

Quote:

Yikes! The one you use is recommended for fish tanks and fish ponds, doesn’t even say it’s oil free in the description.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote