Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 07:03   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Hookah Systems

I'm considering the purchase of a hookah system and looking for input from anyone with recent first hand experience - battery or gas engine powered? Sea Breathe, Air Line, Brownie's or other brand? Recommendations? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Manson
Cat's Meow
2017 Leopard 40
n2climbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 07:39   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS
Re: Hookah Systems

We have the Brownie's third lung hoses and fittings and an electric compressor from California Air Tools. Works great and we use it often. If you have the power onboard for it i recommend electric. California Air Tools compressors are very quiet.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:10   #3

Boat: Carter offshore 35

We have Brownie's complete system, regulator, 25' airline, and 12V dry compressor. I thought it was expensive when I bought it but now I think it was the best investment. It all fits into nice bag 12x12x8 inches.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:26   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Brownie's is overpriced and uses some toy-like components. I use a hookah do do my job every day. I'd recommend Air Line.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:40   #5

Boat: Leopard L38

I have a Hookah Max 12v system. I use it to clean the bottom of our boat and when we go lobstering. Works great for 1 person, 2 people you start running out of air. I love it, makes cleaning the boat bottom much easier.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:40   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

My immediate thought was a question for the OP, what is the intended use?

Are you cleaning the bottom of the boat or are you using it for diving off the dink in remote places?

Some of the hookah rigs are rated for > 60' and would be a good idea to have some training before use.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 13:25   #7

Not sure what you'd like to use it for but if you're a recreational diver (as opposed to bottom scrubbing etc) it's worth looking at The Air Line. I've had their larger unit for a few years and have done hundreds of dives (down to 20m with a buddy no problem).
The downside of my Hookah is that it's noisy - like a lawnmower mowing the tranquil cove. I can (just) hear it underwater and I prefer knowing that it's purring away doing its job! It's not unpleasant on my end but I'm conscious of my fellow boaties anchored nearby. Everything else is an upside in my opinion. Soooo easy to go for a dive because the gear is so much simpler to lug around and set up!

If you've decided to use a Hookah, petrol ones give you multiple dives per day and much more depth. You're limited by hose length (20m). Obviously I'd expect you have already dived in the past as your life depends on that!

As for brand, I've heard of little issues with every brand except The Air Line. My own one is a beautiful bit of kit that I'm glad I bought. They are a great company to deal with.

I have a good friend who was a scuba instructor. He used to dive with a rebreather until we teamed up and now dives with me on the Hookah. We both still enjoy scuba but it's just so much more practical to use the Hookah. No tank fills...
DaveWaltersAus is offline   Reply With Quote