Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 14:20   #1

Boat: 53' Grand Alaskan - Panache
Hooka Diving

Does anyone have an opinion on diving hookas? Not being a certified scuba diver I'm looking at the gas powered hooka outfits. They look good for bottom cleaning, a longer alternative to snorkeling and just plain fun. My concern is the noise given off by the engine. I've yet to find anyone with an opinion or that's been around these machines.......Ed
ed stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 18:18   #2

Boat: Fantasia 35
Ed,

A while back there was a thread asking "What one thing would you take cruising?". My answer was a hooka. I started with a gas powered unit back in the late '80s and now have a 12V unit. They do work great for cleaning the bottom, collecting shell fish, and finding things that fall overboard. You do need to have a basic understanding of diving with compressed air. So take some lessons, or at very least read a book on diving.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 18:39   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
What I don’t understand is ...why not get scuba certification instead?
Then you can have complete diving versatility… and bring along a couple of tanks along instead?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 18:46   #4

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
What I don’t understand is ...why not get scuba certification instead?
Then you can have complete diving versatility… and bring along a couple of tanks along instead?
I agree that a scuba certification would be a good idea. Breathing compressed air underwater without proper knowledge is a quick way to kill yourself.

Hooka setups are convenient and have advantages over a tank setup.
For example: No tank, No tank refills, No bc, etc. They arent any good for exploring though.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 19:50   #5

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
I have 2 hookah untits. One 12v (just realy for hull cleaning and one petrol unit good to 20 or so metres but i also have tanks as hookah can never give you the fredom to swim anywhere like tanks do.

Make sure you do a dive course though as it is just as dangerous on hookah as it is on tanks.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 00:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some previous Hookah discussions:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ives-1080.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tions-138.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f61/hookah-901.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 04:25   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I've read all the threads here and many elsewhere. What I don't find much info on is 12 volt systems. I know they are out there and I have seen minimal mention of them. I'm hoping for more comments on their usefullness. I have no use for going deeper than around 30'. Mostly hull cleaning with some shallow water exploring. I prefer to not have a gas powered system and a 110 volt system is pretty well tied to the boat only. Seems like a 12 volt system would give me some limited ability to go beyond the boat.
Considering both pre-made and do it yourself.
Any 12 volt system users care to comment?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 04:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some 12 Volt Surface Air Supplies:

Sea Breathe, The Electric Snorkel

Electric Units | Powerdive

Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah breathing regulators and gear. Hooka hose diving breathing systems, compressors, and gear.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:21   #9
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I've consolidated some of the links Gord posted here and the other threads here: Hookah Diving , along with a coupla comments. Including the site where I found a complete 12v unit for $750. Includes pump, hose and regulator w/bag.

I am interested in this for bottom cleaning, as well.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 09:56   #10

I have a hookah hose that I connect to a tank and use for bottom cleaning. I used it a few times out of a dingy to dive on reefs but found it more trouble than it's worth and prefer snorkeling.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 11:02   #11

Boat: 53' Grand Alaskan - Panache
Hooka Diving

Thank you for these responses. I already have a basic knowledge of dive tables, diving, etc. But what I really want to know, especially on the gas powered rigs, is the noise level such that you become a really bothersome neighbor, or does it not matter?.....Ed
ed stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 12:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
dacust
thanks for the links
there are two 12 volt units on the page you linked to. the $750 unit is only good to 6'. the $1200 unit is good to 25'. Your boat may be good for the 6' depth but what if you need to free your anchor? I would think the extra $450 is worth the extra depth and capacity.

Somebody mentioned the availability of 12 volt compressors but I have not been able to find one surfing the net. Any good links to build it yourself 12 volt systems?

Thanks
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 13:31   #13

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
the 12v unit i have is the powerdive deck snorkle and for hull cleaning and water to about 7m it is great. It is light and not to bad on battery drain. The gas (petrol) powered one i have is a no name brand i have been using for ever. it will run a single diver to 20m or two divers to 10m no problem. the petrol unit is not to noisey if you have a good muffler. the most important thing is to have your air intake nice and high away from the motor fumes. my intake is actually a long hose that can be up to 4m away from the unit.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 16:42   #14

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking69 View Post
the 12v unit i have is the powerdive deck snorkle and for hull cleaning and water to about 7m it is great. It is light and not to bad on battery drain. The gas (petrol) powered one i have is a no name brand i have been using for ever. it will run a single diver to 20m or two divers to 10m no problem. the petrol unit is not to noisey if you have a good muffler. the most important thing is to have your air intake nice and high away from the motor fumes. my intake is actually a long hose that can be up to 4m away from the unit.
I worked as an ab diver for a while. Make sure the intake is high and upwind.
I had a look at the 12volt units that you can tow around, and they look excellent value. Just make sure you breathe out on the way up. At 7m depth you are not going to be at any significant risk from nitrogen, so if the compressor stops there isn't any real problem about surfacing, but you can certainly get embolism if you hold your breath on the way up. I also think they could be a nice safety item for adding bouyancy by pumping up a big bag if you hole a hull or turn turtle
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 20:48   #15

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcateran View Post
Just make sure you breathe out on the way up
For anyone thinking of getting one of these units please note that if you do not open your air pipes [throat] on the way up the expanding air in your lungs has nowhere to go and the consequences are NOT GOOD....

Personally I figure that you can get deep enough for long enough with units that some sort of training would be advisable.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving