Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 01:05   #46

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran
Re: Home sickness..

Dispute moving frequently and traveling all my life, I was never prone to homesickness until I moved aboard. Now, whenever I do a delivery or visit family in the States, I'm terribly homesick for the boat.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:17   #47

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

This thread makes me happy I've never had a long term home to be homesick about! I've never been in a place more than a few years since I was in my mommy's belly....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:42   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
This thread makes me happy I've never had a long term home to be homesick about! I've never been in a place more than a few years since I was in my mommy's belly....
You were in your mummy's belly for more than a few years?

Poor lady!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:53   #49

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You were in your mummy's belly for more than a few years?

Poor lady!
Ahahahaa... yeah, they had to pull me out kicking and screaming
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:31   #50

Boat: Hunter 356

Is it homesickness or people sickness? Or just the inability to be settled within oneself?

As an expat, there are times when all I’ve wanted is to fly 12,000 miles to have a cup of tea with my grandparents in their kitchen, and when I’ve needed to I have always done.

For many years now, when I visit the country I grew up in (UK) I feel like a visitor.

We are lucky to have a land home and a floating home, and herein lies the rub, you settle in your heart, not in a place.

Things (not people) I used to miss from the UK:
- Walkers Prawn Cocktail Crisps
- Boots 3 for 2 and No.7
- Clarks The shoe shop
- M&S (I get clothes online but still dearly miss the cheese layered salad)
- Scampi fries
- Easy access to Europe and Middle East
- The BBC

Thank heavens for Skype / FaceTime / iMessage etc!
tinysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:02   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Home sickness..

I labelled it Homesickness as I could think of no other way to express it..
My first 15 odd years were in Pakistan/India so logically I should be drawn there.. early times in the UK I was in the Royal Navy shorebased or on board ships oversea's.. between '71 and '95 I lived in the Midlands, Wales, London and the SE and SW coast.. the longest period being the Poole area where I really started my sailing.
Its not really people per se'.. never really been a people person.. more the country itself.. the Cotswolds, lush Devon, parts of Kent.. the beaches of Bournemouth and Poole.. the cities you can keep.
Must be down to the old colonial traits buried deep in my gene's.. like the many thousands before who never ever went to or experienced England.. it was their Elysian fields.. that green and pleasant land called 'Home'.
That place that's always there..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 04:38   #52

Boat: no boat any more

...yeah, bm61, & then we come "back" after 18 years away - & they f...d it up beyond recognition....(can't wait to get away again...)
("it" not being the UK!)
Old 13-03-2018, 05:34   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...yeah, bm61, & then we come "back" after 18 years away - & they f...d it up beyond recognition....(can't wait to get away again...)
("it" not being the UK!)
Yeah well.. thats being in the EU and the Blair effect for you.. minimum wage, zero hour contracts, so called gig economies.. and a bunch of screw you I'm fireproof dicks running the country.
They promise the earth.. but as Harold Wilson famously said.. "Ahh..!!! But that was before I was PM and in government"

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-03-2018, 06:23   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I sometimes get homesick; wherein I'm sick of being at home.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 06:44   #55

Boat: no boat any more

Old 13-03-2018, 08:43   #56

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I labelled it Homesickness as I could think of no other way to express it..
My first 15 odd years were in Pakistan/India so logically I should be drawn there.. early times in the UK I was in the Royal Navy shorebased or on board ships oversea's.. between '71 and '95 I lived in the Midlands, Wales, London and the SE and SW coast.. the longest period being the Poole area where I really started my sailing.
Its not really people per se'.. never really been a people person.. more the country itself.. the Cotswolds, lush Devon, parts of Kent.. the beaches of Bournemouth and Poole.. the cities you can keep.[emoji3]Must be down to the old colonial traits buried deep in my gene's.. like the many thousands before who never ever went to or experienced England.. it was their Elysian fields.. that green and pleasant land called 'Home'.
That place that's always there..
Yeah that's the un-rest i have as well. Parents born and lived in Indonesia till kicked out after WWII we never felt "home" in The Netherlands always the feeling to go again. Strange that for me places I mis most are in the UK and South Africa. For me i don't miss the European food, basically I only eat Asian and Brazilian now a days. We're planning to resettle to Spain this year mostly because my Brazilian wife is completely sick of all the violence here.
Old 13-03-2018, 19:10   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I love the rugged shorelines where the rocky ancient Canadian Shield meets the waters. It’s why I appreciate places like Newfoundland. Perhaps this is my “home."
I had to google "Canadian Shield" and then I had to laugh. It turns out I spent many summers of my youth in a canoe on the waters of Quetico Park, paddling miles from the nearest souls... admiring the rugged landscape that (I learned today) is actually part of the Canadian Shield. It kinda felt like home on those rugged shores, sitting on the large rocks next to a fire at woods' edge with a nice fish sizzling in the pan at sunset. Part of Lewis and Clarke's expedition in another life, maybe? Felt right, somehow.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 08:41   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Yeah that's the un-rest i have as well. Parents born and lived in Indonesia till kicked out after WWII we never felt "home" in The Netherlands always the feeling to go again. Strange that for me places I mis most are in the UK and South Africa. For me i don't miss the European food, basically I only eat Asian and Brazilian now a days. We're planning to resettle to Spain this year mostly because my Brazilian wife is completely sick of all the violence here.
I think thats one of the things I miss about the UK.. good Indian restaurants... that cater for Indo/Pak folk.. Brick Lane and Tooting for example..
Portugal does something they call Piri Piri Chicken.. first time I ordered it they warned me it was very hot.. what a joke..
Everytime I do a delivery I stock up on spices.. last time was in the Caribe which had the seed spices I prefer.. roast and grind for that special flavour.
Spain is similar.. no taste for true 'Spice'..

Old 15-03-2018, 09:02   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>
What I'm kinda curious about is, what triggers a sense of home sickness in you.. I'm not talking about crap beer, food or everyday gripes.. but something deeper in the soul.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I grew up in NYC and couldn't wait to leave! I went to college in PA, returned to NYC for my first two jobs moved to Iran 75-78, then back to the USA but to San Francisco from 78 to 2016, moved to Canada, BC. Lovely. Smartest thing I did was to sail my boat from SF to BC. Home is where the boat is, even though I'm not, and most likely will never be, a full time cruiser like many of you are. At least until I put a diesel heater in the boat!

I do miss real pizza and rye bread.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 00:28   #60

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I grew up in NYC and couldn't wait to leave! I went to college in PA, returned to NYC for my first two jobs moved to Iran 75-78, then back to the USA but to San Francisco from 78 to 2016, moved to Canada, BC. Lovely. Smartest thing I did was to sail my boat from SF to BC. Home is where the boat is, even though I'm not, and most likely will never be, a full time cruiser like many of you are. At least until I put a diesel heater in the boat!

I do miss real pizza and rye bread.
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you my favorite rye bread recipe. I'm sure you can get rye flour shipped to you. As to pizza, just ask Mr. Google. Try a few and find what you like. They're wonderful to whomp up on the boat, it'll smell like a pizzeria! It's doable, if you're interested.

Ann