Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 14:57   #31

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Holding a Wake Aboard

Watch out Pete. I just contacted these folks and they appear to require a metal casket over and above the $2600. I have not heard back on why not wood but I'm sure they have some BS reason. Moral of the story-- nothing is easy.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:12   #32

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your very lucky most first timers on this get it all inside of the cockpit.
You can fashion a suction tube from a piece of PVC if you ever need to do it again. It will form a slight vacuum and suck the ashes out but it will still get some on the airplane.
Best similar story I have like that is from a ferry pilot friend flying a small airplane to Europe over water. His stomach is upset and has to do his business in a plastic bread bag. Now he is sick so it's well watery. Then of course throws it out of the window. When he arrives proud owner is there to accept his new airplane
That the whole back end is covered in sh**

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I just about bust a gut laughing over this one; Having spent a number of years in the British Royal Air Force, I frequently heard reference to what I believed to be a fictitious bird called a ***** Hawk ... your comment lends credence such a bird of flight does indeed exist.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:58   #33

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Watch out Pete. I just contacted these folks and they appear to require a metal casket over and above the $2600. I have not heard back on why not wood but I'm sure they have some BS reason. Moral of the story-- nothing is easy.
Thanks Dave: good news and bad, the bad being only very marginally so. You were right, a casket was not included (not sure what they were thinking, but anyway...). Nonetheless, a WOOD casket cost me a modest $200 additional, so now my grand total is $2795, a price I'm pretty happy with given that I wouldn't do all of this crap (even if I wasn't dead) for $2800. And I will be "laid to rest" right where I want to be.

If you need contact info of the person I dealt with, let me know by PM. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:23   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I thought there was a law you had to be embalmed? I'm sure driven by embalmers of course. I think my Mother was embalmed before Cremation?

OK, just looked it up, apparently in Georgia there is no Law requiring either a Casket or Embalming
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:25   #35

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Don't know about the whole intact body thing, but I had an interesting experience about 10 years ago when my old buddy Stan's widow asked me to host a wake aboard the 45' cutter I owned at the time, and to spread his ashes.

When we reached a spot that I deemed appropriate, the widow went below to fetch Stan's ashes. She emerged with a cookie jar containing Stan's cremains and announced, "OK everybody, grab a handful of ashes."

We were all somewhat taken aback by that, but -- not wishing to upset the widow -- dug in for a handful. But before I had a chance to advise everyone to use the leeward rail, some of the more squeamish among us quickly tossed their handful over the windward side, leading -- of course -- to a minor dust storm aboard.

Needless to say, after I returned to the slip and everyone departed, I felt kinda terrible having to hose Stan off the deck.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:31   #36

Quote:
I thought there was a law you had to be embalmed? I'm sure driven by embalmers of course. I think my Mother was embalmed before Cremation?

OK, just looked it up, apparently in Georgia there is no Law requiring either a Casket or Embalming
Neither is there such a law in Florida, except in specific instances (usually involving suspicion of foul play).
Old 11-11-2015, 08:33   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
Don't know about the whole intact body thing, but I had an interesting experience about 10 years ago when my old buddy Stan's widow asked me to host a wake aboard the 45' cutter I owned at the time, and to spread his ashes.

When we reached a spot that I deemed appropriate, the widow went below to fetch Stan's ashes. She emerged with a cookie jar containing Stan's cremains and announced, "OK everybody, grab a handful of ashes."

We were all somewhat taken aback by that, but -- not wishing to upset the widow -- dug in for a handful. But before I had a chance to advise everyone to use the leeward rail, some of the more squeamish among us quickly tossed their handful over the windward side, leading -- of course -- to a minor dust storm aboard.

Needless to say, after I returned to the slip and everyone departed, I felt kinda terrible having to hose Stan off the deck.
They make urns that dissolve. You do need to remove a couple of small plugs so they sink.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:51   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here in Washington imbalming is only required for an open casket viewing/funeral
My son was not imbalmed we had a memorial service after the cremation.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:19   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Wow!

Perhaps this should be moved to "how to make money while cruising thread." Taking cremated remains in dissolving urns and dropping them off.

No USCG license needed!

Hmmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:38   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Wow!

Perhaps this should be moved to "how to make money while cruising thread." Taking cremated remains in dissolving urns and dropping them off.

No USCG license needed!

Hmmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
Bill it as the, " Final Cruise". Has business potential. Probably some out there?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:44   #41

Quote:

We have had preachers tell family members things about funerals that just were not true. You have to check the state law to really know.

There is a company in my area that sells plain old wood caskets. Cheap, and as they like to say, green.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Wow!

Perhaps this should be moved to "how to make money while cruising thread."
Actually, I thought it was a bit odd for this to be in the "Recreation, Entertainment, and Fun" forum!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:12   #43

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Pete, they told me no wood. I know there is no state of federal requirement for any container but in Florida a sealed container seems practical. ON pushing they offered a metal "box" for $200 so we come out in the same place.
Attention you hungry live aboards. This is a hell of a business opportunity. You do not need a license to pick up a body or dispose at sea. About all you need is some water tight wood crates, a truck, an arrangement with a local crabber and an ice supply. A $1200 fee matches cremation and ought to be at least 50% profit. I say crabber because a hoist is important to handle a crate containing a body, sand for weight and ice- say 3-400 lbs. I know many crabbers who would jump at the chance to make $200 for a 2 hour night job including 20 miles of gas.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 13:19   #44

Quote:
Pete, they told me no wood. I know there is no state of federal requirement for any container but in Florida a sealed container seems practical. ON pushing they offered a metal "box" for $200 so we come out in the same place.
Attention you hungry live aboards. This is a hell of a business opportunity. You do not need a license to pick up a body or dispose at sea. About all you need is some water tight wood crates, a truck, an arrangement with a local crabber and an ice supply. A $1200 fee matches cremation and ought to be at least 50% profit. I say crabber because a hoist is important to handle a crate containing a body, sand for weight and ice- say 3-400 lbs. I know many crabbers who would jump at the chance to make $200 for a 2 hour night job including 20 miles of gas.
There's a bit more to it than that, though. In my case they will pick up and transport my body from wherever (in FL) it is, a death certificate has to be obtained, filed with coroner's office. Attorney and personal representative to be notified, etc. And you have to be prepared to do it at any time, in perpetuity. I'm pretty sure I'm not trusting my final remains to some guy with an arrangement with a local crabber and an ice supply just to save a thousand bucks! Pete

PS, I have wood, in writing.
Old 11-11-2015, 13:32   #45

Quote:

I cannot resist....

I don't think I would want to buy crabs from a crabber doing burials at sea...

Just say'n.

Sorry,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote