Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you have or plan to have a TV on your boat
Yes 43 58.90%
No 12 16.44%
will use computer etc instead to watch shows 10 13.70%
I justed wanted a vote option to express my dislike of TV 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2014, 04:56   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Having a TV

How many people have a TV on their boat?

I don't, but wonder just how many book or games of dominoes we can play once we start cruising and a pretty beach becomes just another pretty beach.
Old 25-04-2014, 05:08   #2
cruiser

Re: Having a TV

TV onboard yes. Do we watch it... No. Too many other more interesting things to do.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 05:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Having a TV

the only reading time you'll get is under sail..
Anchor time is taken up with repairs/maintenance, exploring, shopping and partying.. if your a home body.. best you stay at home.
However if TV is that important.. this is great on the laptop.. when you've WiFi access
FILMON TV FREE LIVE TV MOVIES AND SOCIAL TELEVISION

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 05:22   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Ours has inbuilt Dvd which we watch sometimes after dinner, otherwise we are usually too far from a decent tv signal when cruising. I also like to watch the news or catch a game if working on the boat so good for that too.

Which reminds me. The wife packed the playstation last trip but that never came out of it's box once!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 05:48   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We watch about an hour of TV a night while out cruising. We typically watch while preparing and eating dinner, but sometimes a movie after. We have a 2tb hard drive connected to the TV and enough shows and movies for years. Also download new ones when an internet connection is strong enough.

Matt
Old 25-04-2014, 06:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

They are relatively cheap, lightweight and don't really take up that much room, besides I already had two in my camper, I just moved them is all. So far have only used them in the Marina on a cold rainy day that we didn't want to go anywhere.
I don't cruise yet so I have a slip that comes with cable whether you want it or not. Since I'm getting it anyway, I'll hook up to it.
Once we begin cruising, that may change, but TV's may change by then too, who knows?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 06:23   #7

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I LOVE watching movies. Hate most TV. Since we're liveaboards, I mounted a 40" TV in the salon with a single bar speaker and wireless sub under the salon table connected to a blue ray player with a netflix app.

The whole setup probably uses enough juice that it's really only feasible to use when connected to shore power, but that's when we likely would be having a movie night anyway.

Like Matt, we'll have a large amount of movies digitized from DVD and if we're desperate at anchor, we can always use an iPad to watch something. Unlikely I think, since we also have Kindles and thousands of books we also want to read.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 06:45   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

My TV at home has not been turned on in years. No TV on the boat.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 06:57   #9

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Had a TV on the boat in Antigua, I used it once. I preferred videos on the Laptop, less power draw easier to charge.

No TV on the Potter. When I'm on her I'm sailing, reading or sleeping.
Old 25-04-2014, 08:12   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I haven't had a TV for 6 years. But I just found the remote!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 08:31   #11

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43

We have a 22 inch TV that was designed for use in RV's so I hope it can take a little bouncing around and it also runs off AC or DC and has a built in DVD player. It's a flat panel mounted on a articulating arm that allows it to be stowed out of the way and then can be adjusted for wherever we're sitting (that keel mounted mast is kind of in the way some times). All in all, this setup works well.

We also use a WD TV Live device that connects to the internet so we can stream live TV - mostly so we can watch events like the Super Bowl and college football and some news broadcasts. We stream live TV via a Slingbox set up in central TX although having the ability to access the DVR remotely for some shows we record is nice. It also utilizes Netflix and Hulu+ so pretty much anything we want to watch is available. Includes Pandora so we always have lots of great music too. I saw Amazon has one of their own devices out now but it does not include Slingbox player.

We mainly watch a movie or some TV after dinner, too much to do during the day. If it's foul weather, it's really nice to have.
Old 25-04-2014, 08:51   #12

No TV...we watch movies on our laptop now and then. The TV news is the same BS regurgitated over and over...god its nice to be cruising.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:35   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We actually watch a bit on the Raymarine chartplotter in the cockpit. Does well with the sunlight, and sound comes from the stereo.....it's nice in the evenings at anchor. Also, since everything is connected via wifi, we can watch on a Dell 10 and Android tablet....not that we ever have (sound sucks in their cases). But the 20" LED tv doesnt use much power and both of use can comfortably see it from our spots in the cabin.

Two years, and I still cant figure-out what everybody else does all the time while crusing (sitting in one place for a bit). Typically we dont have internet, and once the sun sets, there isnt much to do besides read. We are 31 years old so going to bed at sunset is out of the question, And I hate the cruiser's bar/drinking scene.

Matt

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-04-2014, 09:45   #14

We had TV's. Your intuition is right on. Dominoes, cards, books are great, but there may be times when you need a break. Especially if you are staying somewhere for Hurricane seaon etc for a while. We didnt watch a lot of TV, but when we got somewhere and got bored, we would go thru a video rental splurge for a while. Then put it aside for months.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 10:41   #15

Sure, we have a TV and a satilite dish.

We don't have an aversion to the modern world. We just enjoy cruising. No reason not to have both.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote