Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 08:16   #1

Boat: Island Packet, IP 31, 34.4 LOA
Has anyone ever tried this...

So, I've noticed that on older boats there's usually a tv, crammed into a corner somewhere, with a dvd player hooked up to it. I see two problems with that:
1. Power draw of the TV and dvd player
2. Space constraints of physical media...

I've been toying with the idea of using a Pico projector like the ASUS B1M, mated with a screen on one side of the Saloon. The pico can sit on the table as it only has to be 1 foot away from the screen to produce a 40 inch picture. This particular projector has wifi and can interface with an ipad or other device that way. Also the Lamp is rated to last 30,000 hours. It's small form factor would allow it to be stored in a water tight case for storage.

Most movies are digitally purchased or include a digital copy if bought in a physical medium. So, download the digital copy on the tablet or laptop and you're good to go-thus eliminating the need for physical media.

As for power concerns, I projected that the projector would use 7amps/hour, and if you don't want to run the power inverter, you can get a car charger for laptops. Now we're only powering 1 device instead of two.

We need a screen right? Yes, The screen is 36"x27" when open and rolls together when not in use, so it can be easily stored in a locker. Thus saving space wherever the tv is currently, and always sitting. The one I saw that would work for me is a table top version, but I'm sure a mounted rollup type would do the same trick.

So, what do you all think? Has it been done?
miketaz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:43   #2

Re: Has anyone ever tried this...

Majestic 21.5" Ultra-Slim HD LED TV with DVD Player

This is a 12V TV drawing 1.3 amps

There is also a 32" model also in 12V without the DVD player that draws 3.4 amps.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:51   #3

Boat: Island Packet, IP 31, 34.4 LOA

nice! that's pretty good also, I didn't know defender sold those!
miketaz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:44   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

We have a pretty big LCD television and it seldom gets used. Mostly people are using their laptops. I just bought a 2 terabyte wifi hard drive that can hold thousands of movies and allows 4 people to stream from it. That will make it even easier as we won't need dvd's.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:32   #5

Come to anchor, unfurl the foresail, make some popcorn, invite the other boats over, and put on Captain Ron.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:19   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Looks like a great idea except for the power draw which is pretty large. Would work for me as I'm not going to waste my wall space on an ugly TV that gets used only occasionally.

That said, I personally find that 3 minutes into watching a movie, pretty much everyone has forgotten how big the screen is. Laptop gets the nod for me.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote