Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2016, 10:47   #16

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Re: Happiness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
What about all those people (like I know) who have 2000 friends in their profile?

Whomever has the most friends when they die wins?
Sadly I think the amount of friends on FB for some has to do more with fulfilling a lack self worth then it does winning.

My concern and maybe its me being cynical but I feel like you always have to be suspicious of someones motivation for posting things on FB. Is it to brag, cry for attention, guilt you into something, fill a void in there life of not getting the attention they want....or some other non healthy reason. (yes i know theres plenty of good reasons but i'm a grouchy pessimist)

At least on here I can be honest of my intentions. I want free advice, an occasional argument to keep my mind sharp, a potential safety net should I be in trouble in a distant land, and an occasional laugh.

Now tallying the fulfillment of my wants lately it looks like I'm due for a good argument on here. Any Takers?

Old 04-02-2016, 11:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
What about all those people (like I know) who have 2000 friends in their profile?

I have been mulling a recent article that you and others may find interesting, if not a bit obvious.

The Dunbar Number proposes that humans are only able to have between 100 and 200 relationships at any given time. This number does not appear to have moved, even with the advent of Facebook, since the Romans.

http://www.economist.com/news/scienc...dship-done-bar

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:13   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post

Now tallying the fulfillment of my wants lately it looks like I'm due for a good argument on here. Any Takers?
Please join us on the Climate Change thread. Nearly 2500 posts and we're still getting along.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:13   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
it looks like I'm due for a good argument on here. Any Takers?
OH NO YOU'RE NOT!!

Jim
Old 04-02-2016, 12:25   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:

ok busted.. i played farmtown and farmville in sd for awhile, (only way i could find to keep in touch with my son)-- since i donot do that anymore, i have tried to rid me of some of my hangers on, but when i do, it starts another widlfire pm blitz.. i sed fukit and let the folks be there, now almost 2000. i keep trying to weed em out-- but it seems more folks bored off their asses need something to believe in-- mebbe for them i am that-- i aint playin farmville and i am sailing-- mebbe it is for them an inspiration.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:33   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^^ Well, zee, it's a hard job, but somebody has gotta do it!!!!

Cheers,

ann
Old 04-02-2016, 12:45   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Happiness...

P+(5xE)+(3xH) = Happiness

A simple mathematical formula could be the route to our happiness, according to an occupational psychologist. Carol Rothwell claims a person's happiness boils down to: P + (5 x E) + (3 x H).

P - Personal Characteristics: includes outlook on life, adaptability and resilience.

E - Existence Needs: health, financial stability and friendships.

H - Higher Order Needs: self-esteem, expectations, ambitions and sense of humour.

Ms Rothwell, who conducted the research along with life coach Pete Cohen, says that using the equation on a sample of 1,000 people produced results that upset some common assumptions.

Falling in love appeared higher on men's priorities than on women's. They also felt happiest going on holiday, having a good sex life and sporting successes.

Women rated spending time with family, sunny weather and dieting above romance.

The research also found the happiness of Londoners did not rely on money. Instead, falling in love is more important than for most people.

Contrary to popular belief, Scots feel better than most giving money to good causes. A good sex life, though, seemed to have less appeal north of the border.

In East Anglia, one of the country's sunnier regions, good weather is seen as a route to happiness. But boredom upsets the local residents more than the rest of the country.

Ms Rothwell said: "This is the first equation of its kind that enables people to put a figure on their emotional state.

"The research findings show that certain life events such as a job promotion can impact positively on your overall happiness score."

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:55   #23
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
P+(5xE)+(3xH) = Happiness

A simple mathematical formula could be the route to our happiness, according to an occupational psychologist. Carol Rothwell claims a person's happiness boils down to: P + (5 x E) + (3 x H).
VERY interesting boaty. I will try this now

NumberofBananasInHand + (5 x NumberofBananasWillWinAtPoker) + (3 x NumberofBananasIWillStealFromBoaty)
Old 04-02-2016, 13:18   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Sadly I think the amount of friends on FB for some has to do more with fulfilling a lack self worth then it does winning.

My concern and maybe its me being cynical but I feel like you always have to be suspicious of someones motivation for posting things on FB. Is it to brag, cry for attention, guilt you into something, fill a void in there life of not getting the attention they want....or some other non healthy reason. (yes i know theres plenty of good reasons but i'm a grouchy pessimist)

At least on here I can be honest of my intentions. I want free advice, an occasional argument to keep my mind sharp, a potential safety net should I be in trouble in a distant land, and an occasional laugh.

I would say the answer to that (highlighted above) is a definite maybe....... Not looking for an argument though.

It does sound like you didn't have the greatest experience on FB, and that's a shame. For me, I have been on FB for years, yet just hit the 200 friends mark and I am happy to say that I know almost every one of my friends personally. The only exceptions are cruisers I have met through this and other forums and whose travels I enjoy following. Most of them at this point talk with me as if I had known them all my life and I am really looking forward to running into them "out there." If you send me a friend request and you aren't someone I know, someone I would actually want to talk to if you called me on the phone, I delete the request. And if you're someone who is needy, whiney, obnoxious, oppositional, or constantly spamming with game requests and crap, I delete you without a single thought to how it affects my friends numbers. I've deleted family as well.

My FB friends list consists of our family who is literally spread from coast to coast and north to south, people I went to school with, people we have worked with (especially ex-cop friends with whom you form unusually close bonds but who are now retired and moved to many places), members of our camping club, people we have sailed with, and people we met while in the Navy who are also also spread all over the world. These are folks who I generally like, many I truly love, and whose lives I very much enjoy keeping up with. I hope that they feel the same about me. It seems that they do. I very rarely ever play FB games or do the contest or survey type things, Life is way too short to waste time on that crap. Do I really care what my "hippie name" would be? I mostly avoid politics and religion. But I do love seeing my friends grand kids, weddings, vacation pictures, their houses at Christmas, knowing when a mutual friend is in the hospital, or passes away. I love it when the occassional picture pops up of me and some other mop topped kid dressed in our Easter finest when we were 10 or 11 years old, old yearbook photos from yearbooks I no longer have, or photos of my hometown from back in the day and now. My friends and family are freaking hilarious so I hardly ever sign on without getting a laugh out of it. We talk on FB much the same way we would over the phone or around the campfire. But it becomes group conversations so it's like having a bunch of your friends over.

And I love it when someone from my past who I considered long lost all of a sudden finds me. That just happened to me a few weeks ago, a close friend I hadn't seen since I left Kentucky at age 18. We spent several days messaging back and forth catching up on what had happened in our lives over the past 44 years. I really enjoyed that. That has happened to me so many times over the years. Only on FB.

I also love following some information sites that interest me: fitness sites, news sites, cruising sites like Active Captain and AGLC, Sailboat Swap Shop, Women Who Sail, camping groups, people who are (gasp....here we go again) restoring boats like Barry Buchanan who did that amazing Rhodes 41. There is just as much to learn through FB as there is on sites like this one. You just have to find the pages that have the good information feeds on subjects that interest you and join them.

I have taken a "social media" break a few times. But it never lasts more than a month or so. Not that I am on it all the time. When I am busy I never give it a thought. During the summer I most often go all weekend without ever signing on. I don't give a crap about gazing at my cell phone all the time either. I use it more so during the day because it lays on my desk here at work. In the evening it usually never leaves my purse. So I don't consider myself addicted to social media or to my electronics. But I would miss all these great people that I genuinely care about if I didn't see them from time to time on FB.

YMMV

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:28   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i think many beoueve fb is a CAUSE of stuff. might be.
some have ontests with numbers of friends. i have noticed that, as admin of a coupla groups, friends just happen. no big deal.
no game no contest no psychobabbly bs
**** DOES happen

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:28   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:

Those are not really friends.
Social Media has redefined the word "Friends".
Social Media "friends" are as shallow and superficial as it gets.
In most cases they have never even met or exchanged a personal message.
IMHO 3 true personal friends are worth more than 3 million of what Facebook calls friends.
Social Media is an artificial world full of artificial people.
Old 04-02-2016, 13:31   #27

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Those are not really friends.
Social Media has redefined the word "Friends".
Social Media "friends" are as shallow and superficial as it gets.
In most cases they have never even met or exchanged a personal message.
IMHO 3 true personal friends are worth more than 3 million of what Facebook calls friends.
Social Media is an artificial world full of artificial people.
See post #24. Exceptions abound.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:25   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Well, I read post #24. I know that there are millions of people who think Facebook is the best thing ever. That's fine. I am not trying to belittle some one else's needs.
I just didn't like it.
I joined, at the urging of some family members, and then deleted my account after about a week.
I found no interest in the numerous posts about such self-indulgent trivia as a person's trip to the mall to buy a new pair of socks, the cutsie puppy dog & grand-kid photos, and all the requests of friendship from people who I had never heard of or should ever hope to meet.
It is like a refuge of adolescent arrested development.
Not to mention the fact that it is really just a personal information harvesting platform for marketing lists.
Oh, and did I say I think it sucks?
Old 04-02-2016, 16:03   #29

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Ba ha ha. IMO a number of those that spurt forth never ending unicorn and rainbow happiness on Facebook are doing so to hide their real world unhappy lives. For example, I can't help but notice when couples start to publicly blurt out their love for one another on an all too regular basis chances are high that their relationship is in dire straits.
Old 04-02-2016, 16:10   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

without social media I would have to.........talk to the wife or go to the pub......social media saves me a fortune from not going to the pub...........

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: