Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 15:33   #76

Re: Glass on a Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Wrong! Penitentiaries and death-row inmates eat out of metallic dishware. You're a cruiser, for goodness sake! Life is too short, so indulge yourself in something finer than metal!; heavy glass crystal is not a bad idea. (NO, I'll not be buying a set for you.)

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Even if I had the space for it, glass would not be on my boat. Just my preference. And no, people in prison and death-row inmates are not the only folks who eat out of metallic dishware.

Lots of sailors are in my camp.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:41   #77
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Think about it in the larger sense, how decisions sailors make are influenced by more than considerations of safety and functionality.
Already you have implicitly asserted that safety and functionality is better. I don't accept your view, and perhaps I want to die.

You're also implying that safety + functionality and aesthetics are mutually exclusive. They could be in a very limited set of use cases which you haven't provided examples of. I have no doubt there are, but not enough to warrant deprivation of how I choose to live.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:41   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We bought a ceramic dish set for our boat and someone later gave us Corelle. We ended up never using the ceramic plates and are still using the Corelle 40 years later. Have only managed to break two bowls, either from dropping heavy metal object, hammer, on it or dropping it onto a hammer, again. You really really have to try very hard to break a Corelle dish.

We have stainless steel mugs from West Marine that we use for coffee. They insulate some, are fat bottomed and nearly impossible to turn over. For coffee, have found some kind of insulation necessary cause the coffee cools so fast with the wind on deck. We took a few cheap wine glasses that we kept in an easily fabricated storage rack. The thickness of the glass preserved them for the entire cruise though we only used them in port. For general drinking, had heavy plastic glasses that survived all attempts to damage them. I'm sure that glass glasses probably wouldn't have lasted more than a week at sea.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:41   #79

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Wrong! Y'all worked at a penitentiary's cafeteria?; metal dishware everywhere.

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 07-08-2013, 15:50   #80

Quote:
Hiya Wrong! Y'all worked at a penitentiary's cafeteria?; metal dishware everywhere.

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Yeah, they eat off metal too. Just like sailors who consider safety and functionality more important than AESTHETICS. No, I haven't worked at a prison, or been in one YET either. Heck, as often as I'm Wrong on CF though, I may end up there sooner than later.
Old 07-08-2013, 16:49   #81
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i live on board my heavy displacement cruiser and i cruise ..... i allow some glass, as i am not a nazi nor without common sense.
i keep butter in an old laura scudders pb jar, as when butter separates, you need a place fro keeping it. glass jar does not add metallic nasty tastes to foods nor become toxic with some foods and chiles.
is a very simple task to place glass items in sox or deep tight storage.
is fine to say "no glass on my boat"----but---when you actually reside and cruise that boat, you will have glass on board....you will also know how to properly stow it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 17:20   #82

Being a UK boat we have service of 8 Wedgewood china.

It's a very civilized way to have dinner, and its secure when we are offshore.
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 17:35   #83

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Whaubner! A class act! ++ (I too have Wedgewood, for 12 though.)

Mauritz
Old 07-08-2013, 23:52   #84
Rav

Boat: Semaster Sailer 23

Quote:
Hiya Whaubner! A class act! ++ (I too have Wedgewood, for 12 though.)

Mauritz

Personally, I have a Royal Doulton service for 48 on board. I find that if you beat the staff hard enough, they store it safely and there are no breakages.

Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 00:11   #85

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Personally, I have a Royal Doulton service for 48 on board. I find that if you beat the staff hard enough, they store it safely and there are no breakages.

Only service for 48? Meaning you only have small intimate dinner parties. I'm not sure how many we have a full Flora Danica for. I'll ask my chief steward to have someone downstairs count it and I'll get back to you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:03   #86

We have glass corelle and no problem for well over a decade and use glass for drinking and coffee and have only as 3 or 4 break which is about the same rate as home... perhaps even less. Everything is well secured which is the key to not breaking. I've had some tough plastic stuff crack so that not necessarily better. I prefer glass... cleans up better and easier.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:16   #87

If you're boat has never turned turtle or even been over 110 degrees from vertical you may not appreciate the consequences. Some types of latches are inferior to others and the entire guts of the cabinet can fall out. Even one glass item left out can shatter creating shards that go everywhere - and especially underfoot.

Bilge and sea water will cover the sole, and if you're unlucky enough for diesel to be in the mix slipping and falling is a probability. Can't happen?

Plan on it.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43   #88
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
If you're boat has never turned turtle or even been over 110 degrees from vertical you may not appreciate the consequences. Some types of latches are inferior to others and the entire guts of the cabinet can fall out. Even one glass item left out can shatter creating shards that go everywhere - and especially underfoot.

Bilge and sea water will cover the sole, and if you're unlucky enough for diesel to be in the mix slipping and falling is a probability. Can't happen?

Plan on it.
Not everyone is an idiot.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:54   #89

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Only service for 48? Meaning you only have small intimate dinner parties. I'm not sure how many we have a full Flora Danica for. I'll ask my chief steward to have someone downstairs count it and I'll get back to you.
Well, on our boat it depends on how long it has been since we renewed our supply of paper plates... sometimes we have a service for 100 if we have been to Cosco recently!

Seriously, we have both stoneware and Corelle dinner plates and lots of glass glasses, and in sufficient quantity to serve all the eight folks that we can cram down below for a meal. Sometimes we break the glasses, especially stemware. IN the event of a knockdown (only one real one in 27 years of cruising) it is possible that there will be some escapes from the cabinetry and some breakage. BFD... at that point you will have other things to worry about.

Even in the best stowed cruising boat there will be stuff of some sort spread about, and likely some sharp things on the sole. In our knockdown, a tool box came open and a flying spanner whacked the barometer face, and that glass went everywhere... a nuisance but not a serious liability. Lots of papers spread about (I'm not good about being tidy around the nav area), a couple of books escaped the fiddles on bookshelves, and some spices from a spice rack and so on. Some water leaked in through deck dorades and around the top of the companionway boards... just enough to make a mess, not any threat. The broken glass was not the worst of it by far!

So, IMO, prohibitions of glassware or bottles is pretty silly, and in fact, hard to accomplish on a boat that is actually involved in cruising.

And life is far too short to drink decent wine out of plastic or metal glasses!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not everyone is an idiot.
Yeah, but how many people know whether or not their latches are up to the task before disaster strikes?

Idiocy isn't a necessary ingredient to finding one's boat sufficiently off vertical to send stuff flying, and glass broken underfoot.

Tags
sailboat