Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 13:05   #31

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Glass on a sailboat

I stand corrected! Corelle does break! I have yet to see one break in my house; maybe because there are no rug rats!
Mauritz
Old 10-06-2013, 13:25   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

tek--my DAD did it--bounced a plate tommma, laughing as we watched it fly and not bounce.

it was a dupont vs dow corning thing.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 13:40   #33

Zee...there used to be PYREX vs KIMBALL glassware wars in organic chemistry labs, when I was an undergraduate student. Some of the 600 mL beakers were smashed, even though they were "unbreakable type". Getting older and wiser took away a lot of "fun out of life"! Like when I was a student pilot, with about 10 hours total flight time...I realized that the WIDTH of a runway CANNOT be 3000 ft, and its LENGTH CANNOT only be 500 ft! (Now the ocean is my runway!)

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 10-06-2013, 13:50   #34

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I've drank out of the bottle for years... saves all kinds of problems (but causes a few as well!). Good wine should be drunk out of good wine glasses. So you break a few, big deal... stow them in socks for the passage. Nothing like sitting in the cockpit after a hard sail enjoying a fine bottle of wine from a real wine glass. I'm with Markj on this one.
Michelle's partner must be a philistine! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 13:55   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

michelles partner must not like wine or rum...rum comes in glass bottles these days-- wood casks are out .......

tek--i remember being allowed to blow things up while in chemistry and sciences labs----was the gooood old days....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 14:23   #36

Boat: Fountaine, Bahia & 46'

Has anyone tried wood serving and dishware? We all have to hand wash anyway.....
John413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 14:26   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

It does not sound much like a partnership is your "Partner" is "Telling" you what is appropriate and what is not. Perhaps you two should be discussing what the procedures should be when there is a disagreement?

Is your partner an experienced sailor? I could be guessing, but perhaps this is something that they read about, not formed their own opinion based on experience?

Years ago I remember bringing canned Bud on a daysail on another's boat, and when asked why, I said because I did not want to bring glass on his boat, not knowing his policy on the matter. He replied that his policy was not to bring crap beer on the boat.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:00   #38

Boat: Beneteau 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Corelle is NOT unbreakable. It is harder to break but when it does it makes wicket sharp spikes which are much worse than broken glass. Use it with appropriate caution just like glass or ceramic and if it accidentally falls it will probably be ok. Don't use it as if it were unbreakable.
We had a charter with Corelle. The door to the cabinet didn't catch one breezy day. A tack to port and there were shards everywhere. Today we use breakable and unbreakable depending...
We always make sure the doors where the breakable are stored are secure.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:07   #39
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
I stand corrected! Corelle does break! I have yet to see one break in my house; maybe because there are no rug rats!
Mauritz

I don't have rug rats. I don't remember how it happened, but I broke one dish of my set. I have a friend who did not secure his adequately. It got rough during the race he was in and it all flew across the cockpit, and all the pieces were broken.

It doesn't break nearly as easily as most pottery-type dishes, but I secure it before sailing.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:12   #40

What a bunch of cruising Prima Donnas! I hope you're all keeping your Bordeaux and Brunellos at the proper temperature!

This thread isn't about glassware, it's about people who can't even agree on beverage containers, owning a boat together!

Some people don't like glass on boats, but that's probably about the most minor issue to deal with in regards to boat ownership.

Oh, and I'm kidding about the Prima Donna bit. There is nothing like a fine beverage at the end of the day.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:37   #41

--->dunks Sailing3 in a tub full of Bordeaux Chateau D'Iqueme...Prima Donna...how did you know that? I resemble that remark!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 10-06-2013, 20:14   #42

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

add my vote against corelle - the shrapnel it produces when it does break is horrendous. i've stocked my boat with good quality porcelain and robust glassware, have broken glasses on passage, entirely my own fault for leaving them around the place...once stuff is stowed well, doesnt really matter what its made of.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 20:16   #43
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
add my vote against corelle - the shrapnel it produces when it does break is horrendous. i've stocked my boat with good quality porcelain and robust glassware, have broken glasses on passage, entirely my own fault for leaving them around the place...once stuff is stowed well, doesnt really matter what its made of.

You're right about the nasty broken pieces.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 20:22   #44

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
What a bunch of cruising Prima Donnas! I hope you're all keeping your Bordeaux and Brunellos at the proper temperature!

This thread isn't about glassware, it's about people who can't even agree on beverage containers, owning a boat together!

Some people don't like glass on boats, but that's probably about the most minor issue to deal with in regards to boat ownership.

Oh, and I'm kidding about the Prima Donna bit. There is nothing like a fine beverage at the end of the day.
Bordeaux? Brunellos? my good man, I only stock the best quality local pinot noir and shiraz, dont call me a prima donna...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 21:17   #45

Boat: looking again

thanks for all your responses! have been busy all day dealing with boat drama. she doesn't want to be bought out, i have had this boat for 3 months before taking her on as a partner. blah blah blah. maybe i'll post it in another thread. anyway, the glass is staying! like someone said ''life is too short to drink good wine out of plastic''. that's all i really need to know and i already knew that! lol. thanks again! ::::

Tags
sailboat