Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-08-2013, 10:08   #91

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Thumbs up Re: Glass on a Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, on our boat it depends on how long it has been since we renewed our supply of paper plates... sometimes we have a service for 100 if we have been to Cosco recently!

Seriously, we have both stoneware and Corelle dinner plates and lots of glass glasses, and in sufficient quantity to serve all the eight folks that we can cram down below for a meal. Sometimes we break the glasses, especially stemware. IN the event of a knockdown (only one real one in 27 years of cruising) it is possible that there will be some escapes from the cabinetry and some breakage. BFD... at that point you will have other things to worry about.

Even in the best stowed cruising boat there will be stuff of some sort spread about, and likely some sharp things on the sole. In our knockdown, a tool box came open and a flying spanner whacked the barometer face, and that glass went everywhere... a nuisance but not a serious liability. Lots of papers spread about (I'm not good about being tidy around the nav area), a couple of books escaped the fiddles on bookshelves, and some spices from a spice rack and so on. Some water leaked in through deck dorades and around the top of the companionway boards... just enough to make a mess, not any threat. The broken glass was not the worst of it by far!

So, IMO, prohibitions of glassware or bottles is pretty silly, and in fact, hard to accomplish on a boat that is actually involved in cruising.

And life is far too short to drink decent wine out of plastic or metal glasses!

Cheers,

Jim
+1,Jim... Phil

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16   #92
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Glass on a Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Yeah, but how many people know whether or not their latches are up to the task before disaster strikes?

Idiocy isn't a necessary ingredient to finding one's boat sufficiently off vertical to send stuff flying, and glass broken underfoot.
Lets just call it a YMMV thing.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:26   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
Already you have implicitly asserted that safety and functionality is better. I don't accept your view, and perhaps I want to die.

You're also implying that safety + functionality and aesthetics are mutually exclusive. They could be in a very limited set of use cases which you haven't provided examples of. I have no doubt there are, but not enough to warrant deprivation of how I choose to live.
If you want to die, driving your car is more likely to satisfy the desire than sailing any time.

I agree, safety, functionality and aesthetics are not mutually exclusive. But, the particular mix you settle upon can have profound results. For me, considering safety and functionality come first - aesthetics dead last because "aesthetic" considerations do not affect how your boat performs, it's seaworthiness, and ability to survive adverse conditions. For sure, if "aesthetics" is an important consideration for you - you'll spend more time in boat yards and less time actually sailing. You'll pay for it big time money wise too. Just hope that if glass is aboard because it is "aesthetically pleasing", you and your crew do not end up bloodied some day in a knock down...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

[QUOTE=Wrong;1305586]If you're boat has never turned turtle or even been over 110 degrees from vertical you may not appreciate the consequences. Some types of latches are inferior to others and the entire guts of the cabinet can fall out. Even one glass item left out can shatter creating shards that go everywhere - and especially underfoot.

Bilge and sea water will cover the sole, and if you're unlucky enough for diesel to be in the mix slipping and falling is a probability. Can't happen?

Plan on it...... [QUOTE]

Your thoughts are valid and should be a part of everyone's risk management plan. DOJ's comment referring to "you milage may vary" should also be put into the plan. It's true that I could be knocked over and have glass shards scattered within my cabin, but the probability is too low to be a part of my plan. We've been cruising a heavy long keel boat in coastal waters in selected weather for over forty years and my greatest heel incline remains as events when I purposefully careened for a DIY bottom job. I'm not saying that your caution is not wise, but it may be far more of a concern for you and what you do with your boat than some others. We did break a decanter of scotch during a vigorous sail from Miami to Lauderdale about 25 years ago, but we've never broken any other glassware in relation to sailing.
Old 08-08-2013, 13:56   #95
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

omg!!!
i am gonna break a glass jar that is encased within a sock and die on the shards as they cut my achilles tendons and carry me off into the cold and harsh sea...
first of all...after 3 years out cruising, plus the one i went for opb cruising, makes 4 yrs out here. broken glass-zero.
i think i am now certified to run with scissors.

even sharp ones.

to each his own.

be glass police on someone elses time--i will cruise in comfort.
thankyou.
some things are just better in glass.

second of all--i dont sail cold water. btdt. got the t shirt.

third of all--aesthetics be damned--i go for flavor. do not deny me my right to have the good flavors.
some things are just better in glass.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 14:14   #96

"third of all--aesthetics be damned--i go for flavor. do not deny me my right to have the good flavors.
some things are just better in glass."

Like what? Glass or stainless the molecular structure of the contents remains unchanged.

It's in your head me thinks.
Old 08-08-2013, 14:32   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i do not make excuses to folks visiting my boat--they may use glass containers only if certified to run with sharp scissors. otherwise they may use plastic or bring their own container.
YOU may bring your own container from which to drink.
as for flavor testing--there was such thing in 1950s.
dont be telling anyone what they can and cannot taste..you would be very surprised.

as i have stated, in 4 yrs of actively full time cruising i lost only one glass item--was a light bulb.. go figger--what you gonna do about light bulbs, now....
Old 08-08-2013, 14:53   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i do not make excuses to folks visiting my boat--they may use glass containers only if certified to run with sharp scissors. otherwise they may use plastic or bring their own container.
YOU may bring your own container from which to drink.
as for flavor testing--there was such thing in 1950s.
dont be telling anyone what they can and cannot taste..you would be very surprised.

as i have stated, in 4 yrs of actively full time cruising i lost only one glass item--was a light bulb.. go figger--what you gonna do about light bulbs, now....
Light bulbs? On a sail boat?
Old 08-08-2013, 14:58   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

some folks i have sailed with still use trouble lights in their engine rooms for repairs.
some people actually live on their boats and cruise them full time. some of these folks might like to read books.
many times if you wish to read at night, you would find a light to be handy.
not everyone is happy cruising as if camping in a tent on a cliff...sorry, pal.
i live on board and cruise actively full time. there is no reason on this earth not to be comfortable and keep the things you desire to keep and to use glassware if desired. lol...
Old 08-08-2013, 15:15   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
some folks i have sailed with still use trouble lights in their engine rooms for repairs.
some people actually live on their boats and cruise them full time. some of these folks might like to read books.
many times if you wish to read at night, you would find a light to be handy.
not everyone is happy cruising as if camping in a tent on a cliff...sorry, pal.
i live on board and cruise actively full time. there is no reason on this earth not to be comfortable and keep the things you desire to keep and to use glassware if desired. lol...
Ain't no room for glass stuff on my boat, including light bulbs! Wind up flash light, yes. L.E.D. trouble light, yes. Light bulbs are obsolete nowadays. Ever heard of L.E.D.'s? I know, I know - don't like the light quality...

Dark time is for sleeping, not reading.

"i live on board and cruise actively full time."

You run an d.c. inverter to power your light bulbs when under way?
Old 08-08-2013, 15:43   #101

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Wrong! Take a deep breath, bud! No need to get excited! Let go of this topic, as you really are against old salts who enjoy a quality of life that is vastly different than yours. No offense meant!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 08-08-2013, 15:51   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Wrong! Take a deep breath, bud! No need to get excited! Let go of this topic, as you really are against old salts who enjoy a quality of life that is vastly different than yours. No offense meant!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Let go? LET GO?
Old 08-08-2013, 16:30   #103
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Let go? LET GO?
R.I.P. Horsey
Old 08-08-2013, 16:45   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Wrong, As your posts include 18 years without a car and "bluewater" cruising in the Caribbean and the Pacific Northwest, you've a long history of experience. Think back,- you've been cruising longer than LEDs have been commonly available. You must have had plenty of 12V single & double bayonet bulbs and likely some bigger ones too. Some of us, like you, were doing well with bulbs years ago and haven't changed to all LEDs. Many of us might, in addition, not be spending the moments at a 110 degree knock down as you have referrenced. You may be an agressive long distance sailor accustomed to dealing with conditions that many of us never experience. There's no need to continue beating these dead horses. Leave us to our calm anchorages in protected waters reading at night with the aide of our bulbs.
Old 08-08-2013, 16:48   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Wrong, As your posts include 18 years without a car and "bluewater" cruising in the Caribbean and the Pacific Northwest, you've a long history of experience. Think back,- you've been cruising longer than LEDs have been commonly available. You must have had plenty of 12V single & double bayonet bulbs and likely some bigger ones too. Some of us, like you, were doing well with bulbs years ago and haven't changed to all LEDs. Many of us might, in addition, not be spending the moments at a 110 degree knock down as you have referrenced. You may be an agressive long distance sailor accustomed to dealing with conditions that many of us never experience. There's no need to continue beating these dead horses. Leave us to our calm anchorages in protected waters reading at night with the aide of our bulbs.

Tags
sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: