Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 13:40   #61
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Glass on a Sailboat

Run, don't walk to get out of this relationship. If you can't agree on galleyware can you imagine what will happen when you face a real safety issue based on navigation, weather, security, ad inf? That said, I like Corelle in plain white that goes with anything. It's breakable but at least at one time it was guaranteed for a year. I had a friend who restocked her charter boat with Corelle yearly, saving broken pieces to turn in. As an avid home canner I'm also keen on Mason jars, sensibly packed. Never had one break. You might do some research into oven-proof glass cookware. Some types shatter into millions of horrible little shards. Glass cookware has been controversial and perhaps that is where your partner got the ideas.
Old 13-06-2013, 13:57   #62

We've gotten a lot of mileage out of these bowls:

Galleyware Serving Bowl

We have some glass onboard, mainly for things that come in a glass (bottled beer, bottled wine, some cooking vinegars, etc). But in general we try to limit glass as much as possible. Things get dropped sometimes and cleaning up broken shards is a nuisance.

We have stainless steel insulated mugs and stainless steel wine goblets.

My own $0.02, and some people disagree with me, is that if you're on a boat there are certain realities you should embrace regardless of how they affect your sensibilities. I'd like long hot showers as much as the next guy, but even on a three billion dollar warship those were hard to come by.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 14:05   #63

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Sheesh, the boat is for doing what you want. Tell Ms Bly to take a hike or chill out on the rules. I could understand something to do with the value of the boat, like please don't leave the hatches open in the rain.

I could never co-own a boat with someone. That kind of pettiness irritates me just to hear about others.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 05:38   #64
Rav

Boat: Semaster Sailer 23
Re: Glass on a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post

Years ago I remember bringing canned Bud on a daysail on another's boat, and when asked why, I said because I did not want to bring glass on his boat, not knowing his policy on the matter. He replied that his policy was not to bring crap beer on the boat.

Chris

Fell off my chair laughing at that!
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:58   #65

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

My wife bought two dozen glass tumblers about a year ago. We have seven left, thanks to my dishwashing/dishhandling skills, and that happened with a kitchen that ain't doing much rocking. I imagine that it's forever plastic for us ...
Old 07-08-2013, 14:04   #66

Nope.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 14:10   #67
o_q

I like glass cups. I'm careful and aware of where things are, and the associated danger of where it's positioned. If still I am breaking glass, I will just buy more. Plastic might be a better choice if you don't pay attention to anything, are clumsy or cheap. Not that it's a bad thing entirely.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 14:15   #68
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
My own $0.02, and some people disagree with me, is that if you're on a boat there are certain realities you should embrace regardless of how they affect your sensibilities. I'd like long hot showers as much as the next guy, but even on a three billion dollar warship those were hard to come by.
I agree, but it just depends. If there are certain things you really want, and there's a way to get it, people will seek out a way if at all feasible. For example, one could get one of those solar shower bags as a reasonable alternative.
Old 07-08-2013, 14:15   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
I like glass cups. I'm careful and aware of where things are, and the associated danger of where it's positioned. If still I am breaking glass, I will just buy more. Plastic might be a better choice if you don't pay attention to anything, are clumsy or cheap. Not that it's a bad thing entirely.
Best choice is stainless. Worst Marine has wide bottomed insulated stainless coffee mugs for around $20. Or you can buy a similar mug from Starbuck's for about $40... Cups, plates, bowls, dishes, you name is is available in stainless.

Won't have anything else on my boat!
Old 07-08-2013, 14:17   #70
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Best choice is stainless. Worst Marine has wide bottomed insulated stainless coffee mugs for around $20. Or you can buy a similar mug from Starbuck's for about $40... Cups, plates, bowls, dishes, you name is is available in stainless.

Won't have anything else on my boat!
For me, it's about the aesthetic and feel of glass. I generally don't like the look, feel, and even the sound of metal cups and plates.

Also, I'm talking about thick glass. The weight and frailty of thin glass is not appealing to me.

something like this:

Old 07-08-2013, 14:28   #71

Quote:
For me, it's about the aesthetic and feel of glass. I generally don't like the look, feel, and even the sound of metal cups and plates.
Aesthetics (also spelled æsthetics) is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty.[1][2] It is more scientifically defined as the study of sensory or sensori-emotional values, sometimes called judgments of sentiment and taste.[3] More broadly, scholars in the field define aesthetics as "critical reflection on art, culture and nature."[4][5]
More specific aesthetic theory, often with practical implications, relating to a particular branch of the arts is divided into areas of aesthetics such as art theory, literary theory, film theory and music theory.

Would be an interesting subject for a thread. How "aesthetics" affects sailors decisions and pocket book. What's more important, safety, functionality or how things look and feel? When are they incompatible?
Old 07-08-2013, 14:35   #72
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Aesthetics (also spelled æsthetics) is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty.[1][2] It is more scientifically defined as the study of sensory or sensori-emotional values, sometimes called judgments of sentiment and taste.[3] More broadly, scholars in the field define aesthetics as "critical reflection on art, culture and nature."[4][5]
More specific aesthetic theory, often with practical implications, relating to a particular branch of the arts is divided into areas of aesthetics such as art theory, literary theory, film theory and music theory.

Would be an interesting subject for a thread. How "aesthetics" affects sailors decisions and pocket book. What's more important, safety, functionality or how things look and feel? When are they incompatible?
So basically you're just attempting to devalue my way of being, and promoting yours. I'll respond to that by saying you're Wrong (pun intended).

You don't have to be offended if someone is different from you. I completely accept who you are.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:05   #73

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Wrong! Penitentiaries and death-row inmates eat out of metallic dishware. You're a cruiser, for goodness sake! Life is too short, so indulge yourself in something finer than metal!; heavy glass crystal is not a bad idea. (NO, I'll not be buying a set for you.)

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 07-08-2013, 15:24   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm with "goboatingnow" regarding the glass aboard. We might break something now and then, but it's no great loss.

We have glass all over the place! It all depends on how you stow it.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:29   #75

Quote:
So basically you're just attempting to devalue my way of being, and promoting yours. I'll respond to that by saying you're Wrong (pun intended).

You don't have to be offended if someone is different from you. I completely accept who you are.
Hey. Nothing personal intended. Just an intellectual exercise. Think about it in the larger sense, how decisions sailors make are influenced by more than considerations of safety and functionality. Just because I'm a minimalist doesn't mean everybody has to be one.

Tags
sailboat