Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33   #16

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Glass on a sailboat

Broken glass is a hassle, but you should eat /drink out of whatever you want.

Maybe until you ditch the partner (I can not see how these arrangements ever work) you could compromise and have your dish and plate and let her have hers.... ?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:38   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

We threw out all the plastic plates and cups years ago and replaced with a combination of stonewear, corelle (sp?) and normal ceramic mugs/cups. We still have some plastic wine glasses for beach or carrying to other boats, but use cheap glass stemware on board. Yes, they sometimes get broken, but at two bucks each we can live with it. As someone else as said, cleaning up broken glass is no worse than in a house... and most of our breakage comes from clumsiness, not sea conditions.

And as to the "partner" -- sounds more like a dictatorship than a partnership to me!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...from the gEEk department...if a glass hits a hard floor ONCE, and is quickly caught...it will still be intact; only one shock wave resulted. If it hits the floor TWICE...bounced from first hit then hit the floor again...it will break; two shock waves in different directions will cause a fracture.
Mauritz
Old 10-06-2013, 10:50   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I use glass. Normal glasses. Normal wine glasses.

I forgot to put away my glasses before my 13 day upwind sail this year.

Guess how many broke?

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go buy glass and live life.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:22   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I like glass I use glass I break glass I replace glass. On the boat I like glass I use glass I break glass i replace glass.
What a trivial thing to argue over. Life is as fragile as glass

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Life is too short to drink good wine out of plastic "glasses" We have Riedel stemware onboard and "sock" it for passages.

Sure we break a glass every year or so but it beats the heck out of plastic
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:36   #22

Some people who boat don't like glass on their boats, and some people are willing to take that risk.

If you really can't come to an agreement with your partner, then I guess buying them out is your option.

But coming to a forum and taking a poll doesn't really make any difference, or make either of you right or wrong. It's purely a preference/risk tolerance thing.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimichele View Post
I was told absolutely no glass on the boat from my co-owner.(mind you, I found this boat and have been paying slip fees for 3 months before bringing her into the half ownership) I do not like eating or drinking from plastic. I don't think it's healthy and I just don't like the amount of plastic that ends up in our ocean. I feel that if it's is secured during sailing, that a couple of mugs and plates should be fine. Thoughts? BTW, probably buying her out this week since she has become so overbearing in her demands.
Thanks,

Michele

I'm guessing the two of you just don't get along, because this is a trivial topic compared to many aspects of owning a sailboat.

Time to part ways.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:48   #24

Boat: Tayana 37

Another option is stainless steel.

We got a bunch of small SS plates and bowls from an asian restaurant supply company that we used for our kids because we didn't like plastic. We want to get some bigger ones for all of us now that we're moving aboard and unfortunately we're having trouble finding them again. There are possibilities on ebay, mostly dishes intended for pets.

Also Ikea sells a tumbler meant for use as a bathroom cup (~6oz) called the Semvik, and Kleen Kanteen makes 16 oz pint beer style glasses.

Once we settle on some plates I may try a trick I heard of to make them non-slide squeeze a bead of silicone around the bottom rim and press down on a sheet of wax paper.
CaseyMcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:54   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Loads of glass and china on my boat. Surprisingly we break about the same as we would in a house.

Life is to short to drink or eat out of plastic.

One of the mistakes cruising sailors tend to make is to sell (or put into storage) all their good stuff.
You don't need a multitude of of different sized plates and glasses, formal and informal sets, but there is plenty of room, even on a small boat for nice stuff.
Bowl shaped plates, rather than flat are better.
Big stable glasses are better.

Don't leave the best china to grand kids they will not appreciate it. Use it everyday on the boat, once you learn to live on the boat you will break very little.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:55   #26

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Unless you live in a penitentiary, you really do not want to eat out of metal dishware and utensils. In addition, avoid anything made of pewter like a plague; extremely high lead contents.
Mauritz
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40   #27

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

We use Riedel glasses. A little more expensive (but you can find cheaper and stemless! versions)

I've dropped them on tile floors and they'll break into 2 pieces. The crystal is strong and amazing. They're tough. Granted, you don't want to hear about breaking them... but if you do have an accident, it is much easier to clean up than a regular glass, which will shatter into a thousand pieces!

Cheers,
Octopussy

Follow the adventure at S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:49   #28

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I have the stainless wine glasses too, but I think they make the wine taste different.

I know stainless is not supposed to, maybe it is just in my mind (like the voices) but it is just not as good as glass.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:53   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Corelle can break. It doesn't break as easily as other breakable dishes, but it does need to be secured when you're sailing, or really, at anchor.
Anyone who has broken Corelle will second that! And when it does break the micro-sabers it generates are many times worse. I've used it and have mixed feelings. I've gone to mostly plastic, but I'd go back to Corelle. And glass.

Of course, good beer comes in a bottle and good mugs are ceramic, and I've never broken either. The only Corelle I've broken was at home.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:54   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i tried stainless ..yukkkkk...wine is fine without the re flavoring of th e container in which served....

yes, corelle breaks--dad threw one plate to momma when she first got her present from her sister, who worked at dow corning -- it said unbreakable, and , as he did with the kind before-- bounced it off the floor--yes it shattered. awesome cool fun for us to watch. just dropping it doesnt seem to do much to it as far as breakage is concerned, however--yes we tested all stuff we got from our aunt--she expected that from us--we have engineeers in family...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat