Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2010, 17:48   #76

Boat: a sailing boat
I had a look at the ironman tria - this is something easily done in many destinations provided one has a way to keep the bike dry and not rusting.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 13:44   #77
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
- Swim. Clean your own bottom....
Great idea, in the summer!!!

Anyway - I'm not much into gadgets - but has anyone tried one of these:

Body Sculpture twist Stepper BS1370 with Bungee Cords - Exercise Machines - Loot.com

They look kinda neat...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 14:00   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Those dumbbells are soooo expensive. It is crazy to spend that kind of money on dumbbells. A person can build a small rack in a cabinet to hold regular weights and dumbbell handles which are much, much, much cheaper. I know you don't want weights crashing around in a boat so they will have to be well secured, but it should be easy enough to figure out.

How about push ups, sit ups and pull ups along with lunges and deep knee bends. Combine those with some stretching exercises like yoga and running/walking when in port and you will remain fit, flexible and strong.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 16:02   #79

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Great idea, in the summer!!!

Anyway - I'm not much into gadgets - but has anyone tried one of these:

Body Sculpture twist Stepper BS1370 with Bungee Cords - Exercise Machines - Loot.com

They look kinda neat...
I'd forget this. It looks like a POS. Sorry, but I can't see how when you are putting all your weight on those pedals for long periods of time that its going to hold up and really support you. It just looks to flimsy and at that price it probably is. Think of the difference between a well made (expensive) treadmill and the cheap ones.
Old 25-07-2010, 01:43   #80

Arrow Training routines

If you need some awesome training routines and tips that you can do on board go to www.bodyrock.tv
Check it out!!
Stylishboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 05:58   #81
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's another:

Not quite as sexy as the last one, though!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 10:14   #82

Boat: a sailing boat
Swimming is fine even in the winter. The fun stops if there is no hot shower in sight afterwards.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 12:04   #83

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
On my last Bahamas cruise I lost 15 lbs. Swimming, snorkeling, walking and not having junk food or fast food available is what did it. A morning swim also helped with the back aches I often get from my boat mattress.

For me the the problem isn't loosing weight or living a healthy lifestyle when cruising, it's keeping it up when I get back to the hectic, stressful schedule of life back at home!

I used to swim competitively and coached for a while. I have to say it's a great way to stay in shape. It offers good cardio and muscle toning that is very low impact and very low injury prone. I feel using fins (very conducive to cruising) reduces rotator cuff strain which is the biggest swimming related injury.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 14:40   #84
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
On my last Bahamas cruise I lost 15 lbs. Swimming, snorkeling, walking and not having junk food or fast food available is what did it. A morning swim also helped with the back aches I often get from my boat mattress.
I agree. Swimming, snorkeling, walking, hauling dive gear around. And of course my little folding bike. I also lost a few lbs. even while living on junk food, last time I had the boat in the yard, painting, epoxying, etc.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 15:46   #85

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Rowing works for me. I don't have a motor for my dingy, so it's either step the mast and sail to shore or get out the oars and pull for shore.
Old 02-08-2010, 16:15   #86

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I concur with the swimming posts. I can't think of a better or easier method of staying in shape on a boat than swimming.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:30   #87

Boat: SJ23 1988
Well, having been a cyclist for years and years, it doesn't cover the "middle" issue. But it's great for legs back and arms.

I've been working on the "Middle" part for 7 months now since, my shoulder separation heeled from my last bike wreck...

I'll have a folding bike onboard, definetly.... now I might put a rack with a generator... and ride on board to help generate battery power, by backfeeding them from exercise. Two birds, One stone.
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 17:45   #88

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxdGrMind View Post
now I might put a rack with a generator... and ride on board to help generate battery power, by backfeeding them from exercise. Two birds, One stone.
this is a trick that has been used for years, although i think mostly just with seat and pedal arrangements instead of rack for a full size bike, due to space constraints, but the real reason is to prevent to legs from atrophizing on the longest of passages, i dont know how much of an issue this is on 25+ foot boats but i recall reading that all of the very small record attempt boats had a system like this becuase of the importance of preventing atrophy as well as generating electricty... seems youd be dumb not to have one if you plan on doing real extended passages... i do intend to build one for my boat, you can average about 200watts, not bad for a few hours
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 18:07   #89
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Rowing works for me. I don't have a motor for my dingy, so it's either step the mast and sail to shore or get out the oars and pull for shore.
I've really thrown around the idea of not replacing the ancient 2 stroke on mine when it finally dies, mainly for that reason.

Only problem is, inflatables don't row that great...could just be that I'm out of practice, though.

And what happens when you're in a spot with strong current, and need to get to/from shore? Even where I am now, the boat is close to a mile from the mainland, and close enough to a river mouth that the current flies in between tides.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 18:20   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
I've really thrown around the idea of not replacing the ancient 2 stroke on mine when it finally dies, mainly for that reason.

Only problem is, inflatables don't row that great...could just be that I'm out of practice, though.

And what happens when you're in a spot with strong current, and need to get to/from shore? Even where I am now, the boat is close to a mile from the mainland, and close enough to a river mouth that the current flies in between tides.
Decent oars help a lot. Sometimes the tide dictates the route or the timing. Other times the current wins and out comes the outboard

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote