Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 05:10   #1

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52
Question Folding Bikes

We are 2nd owners of our boat which we received totally stocked with everything including folding Dahon bikes(retail about $7-$800 each). But being new in the cruising world and have not ventured far we have not seen any opportunities to use them. We want to head to the Caribe islands- my question is -should we hang onto them? Will we find they will be useful in our island hopping? They are in excellent shape. Just don't want to regret getting rid of them.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:19   #2

Boat: Boatless
We use ours extensively...the supermarket is, by design, at least a mile and a half from the dinghy dock on almost all islands.

However, in Nassau we realized that the reason we were the only bikers was that the local ones had already been run over by a taxi.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:41   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
I've seen one couple using them in a year of cruising. While I admit it would be nice on some longer walks we've made, road conditions are usually challenging as far as broken asphalt/concrete, and I'm a lot more comfortable being able to step WAY off the road when some of the drivers come barreling by.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:56   #4

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We used ours in some places and not in others...Do you enjoy riding bikes? If you hate biking you wont use them...if you love it you will.
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:04   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
We use them - very nice to have along. Helps is get to know the area beyond the immediate harbor at a pace that really gives us a feel for the atmosphere. Very helpful for provisioning too (with backpacks). Carry animal repellent in case of territorial dogs.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:17   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
We are on our 3rd set of folding bikes in 19 years. Wore the others out. Wouldn't leave home without them.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15   #7

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
I used one while crusing the east coast and like it a lot. Don't know how it would work with bad roads, drivers, and dogs in the Caribbean.

The bike expands my area by tenfold and you can really get around a small town. I strapped a milk crate on the back and used it for heavy provisions and bags looped through the handlebars for lighter stuff. I could easily tote a week's worth of provisions with the bike.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 16:22   #8

hope i don't become a local on a bike!!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 16:26   #9

thanks so much for all the input!! never even thought about island dogs and them being aggressive- and i know local US dogs that like to chase a bike or two!! i greatly appreciate the info. Constantly learning!!! Just trying to eliminate possible problems- know i can't avoid them all- just want to take a few off the table.
Old 14-02-2011, 14:19   #10

I just bought a 1962 Moulton, I will need to do some work on it, but it looks ideal for the boat!
Baz
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 14:44   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
From what I gather, whether bikes are useful depends primarily on whether you like riding a bike when you're not cruising. I do and so I use a bike when cruising; we carry 2 full-size bikes on a rack and we ride all over. Others don't and cruising doesn't change that.

My guess is that if you haven't used them yet, you won't and you might be better off selling them.

Try developing some interest in riding. If you don't think it's fun, you have your answer.
Old 28-02-2011, 02:51   #12

Re: Folding Bikes

I am looking for a place where I can find used folding bikes. I've searched craigslist and ebay but nothing so far. Karim Cycle in Berkeley sells used folding bikes and I was just wondering if there's any other place that does the same. Unfortunately I cannot afford a new folding bike - It would be better if I can go and see the bike and test it considering its used. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
jamankhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 03:50   #13

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
We want to head to the Caribe islands- my question is -should we hang onto them? Will we find they will be useful in our island hopping? They are in excellent shape.
In the islands... not so much.

They are only good for US coastal cruising and since you are leaving, you should definitely unload them at a ridiculously low bargain basement price that someone couldn't refuse.

Would they perhaps be the Curve D3 and will you take PayPal?
Old 28-02-2011, 04:30   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Sorry for the thread drift, but it will be relevant to many forumites reading this thread: how do you all STORE your folding bikes? I want to have bikes on board but for me the stumbling block is storage. The boat is already so cluttered as it is I just choke on the idea of having a couple of bike bags in the lazarette or on bunks somewhere.

On the other hand, I love to ride and the lack of ground transportation is always such a problem in new ports.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 05:17   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We store our two bikes in the 'garage' of course! The garage is the stateroom on every cruising boat which has been converted to cluttered storage.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote