Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 10:31   #1

Fishing: starting with nothing and no experience

Hey everyone. We want to fish and be self sufficient (somewhat anyways), while we are out sailing, and our family likes seafood. However, I have no fishing kit and very little experience (assume I have none).

I've heard a hand reel is a good place to start if we are going to troll while sailing, but what else is there? What type of line, lures, something about steel leaders and weights? Rods that aren't expensive?

What is the most basic fishing kit we could get that would get us through the east coast and Caribbean? Any good guides on the subject that are not overwhelming?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:37   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Fishing: starting with nothing and no experience

There is a current thread going now on the subject and if you perform a search you will find that there are several good threads covering the information you seek.
Old 29-10-2016, 10:40   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

1st, do searches under trolling & fishing, you'll learn 95% of what you need to know.

For gear, a hand line is sufficient. Though you can supplement it with a minimum of gear. But realistically, rods & reels are afectations used for sport fishing. First get a good gaff or two, some good filet knives, & some good books on fishing. As well as learning how to harvest food while snorkeling. Both shellfish, that which grows on rocks or lives in the surf zone & tidal pools, & if you like, via a Hawaiian sling or speargun.

Do the above & you'll eat like a king, never wanting for the ocean's bounty. Just don't harvest so much that you deplete local resources. Nor take so much that you can't eat what you catch before it spoils. And also, give a fair bit of it away to those who could truly use it, their smiles & thanks are as priceless as is watching a 5yr old catch something tasty. Though they can & will repay you in lots of other ways, where the 5yr old just wants to fish again tomorrow

BTW, most members on here who fish pretty much keep their tables overfilled via a simple handline. To include catching ones worthy of notes in ship's logs... at first anyway.
Also, locals are the premium source of knowledge for what works in their regions, & when, including/especially when it comes to lures.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:45   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

What about preparing fish, which bits need to be removed etc.. Also some fish are poisonious or contain bacteria/virus that are going to cause problems. I guess there's a fair amount to learn.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 15:05   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

Bleed the fish upon catching, Filet or gut the fish. If you will perform a search, all the information you are asking for here are in threads already posted.
Old 29-10-2016, 16:27   #6

Boat: Ericson 35-2

I'm running both on the trip down West Coast, and having a lot more "luck" with an actual rod/reel than with handlines so far. Keywords "drag", "thinner leaders", "smaller hooks".

We are talking "a couple of small salmon and mackerel, and a few broken off hooks" vs "continuously too much fish problem" kind of difference. My recipe:

1. buy this book https://www.amazon.com/Cruisers-Hand.../dp/0071427880
2. Study dilligently
3. Apply as much as possible
4. ...
5. Fish

Good luck figuring out how to dispose of all the fish you can catch, but not eat yourself. Giving away to random people is what works best for me so far.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 19:01   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
I'm running both on the trip down West Coast, and having a lot more "luck" with an actual rod/reel than with handlines so far. Keywords "drag", "thinner leaders", "smaller hooks".

We are talking "a couple of small salmon and mackerel, and a few broken off hooks" vs "continuously too much fish problem" kind of difference. My recipe:

1. buy this book https://www.amazon.com/Cruisers-Hand.../dp/0071427880
2. Study dilligently
3. Apply as much as possible
4. ...
5. Fish

Good luck figuring out how to dispose of all the fish you can catch, but not eat yourself. Giving away to random people is what works best for me so far.
I second the fishing book. I received it this week, and have not finished it but it is very thorough.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 02:27   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Bleed the fish upon catching, Filet or gut the fish. If you will perform a search, all the information you are asking for here are in threads already posted.
I wonder if there is a picture book. Oddly Youtube doesn't really show the process either.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 02:49   #9

Boat: Ericson 35-2

The same book I mentioned has a whole chapter on processing catch, including detailed instructions on killing, bleeding, gutting and carving up a large tuna.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:36   #10

This is also an excellent book! Written by one of the all time greats.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
1st, do searches under trolling & fishing, you'll learn 95% of what you need to know.

For gear, a hand line is sufficient. Though you can supplement it with a minimum of gear. But realistically, rods & reels are afectations used for sport fishing. First get a good gaff or two, some good filet knives, & some good books on fishing. As well as learning how to harvest food while snorkeling. Both shellfish, that which grows on rocks or lives in the surf zone & tidal pools, & if you like, via a Hawaiian sling or speargun.

Do the above & you'll eat like a king, never wanting for the ocean's bounty. Just don't harvest so much that you deplete local resources. Nor take so much that you can't eat what you catch before it spoils. And also, give a fair bit of it away to those who could truly use it, their smiles & thanks are as priceless as is watching a 5yr old catch something tasty. Though they can & will repay you in lots of other ways, where the 5yr old just wants to fish again tomorrow

BTW, most members on here who fish pretty much keep their tables overfilled via a simple handline. To include catching ones worthy of notes in ship's logs... at first anyway.
Also, locals are the premium source of knowledge for what works in their regions, & when, including/especially when it comes to lures.
Problem with handlines is that most folks nowadays have baby soft skin that can easily be cut with handlines. Reels make more sense for the office worker playing fisherman on the weekends.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:45   #12

See the other thread. But for simplicity the bottom line is a cheap short stiff rod and good Penn reel work fine. 50+ lb line at least. Weighted Rubber squid are universally good in both oceans. I like to use a Stainless steel leader due to wahoo and barracuda cutting the line. I have caught most every type of fish out there on a rubber squid. I like blue/white or green/yellow. About 7-8" long squid.
I prefer a rod and reel to a handline. But have done both. You know immediately when you have a strike.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 10:16   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Problem with handlines is that most folks nowadays have baby soft skin that can easily be cut with handlines. Reels make more sense for the office worker playing fisherman on the weekends.
Not true. With a cuban yo yo I have caught numerous fish up to 40" and 20 pounds with no wear on the fingers. Just like winding a kite, if you are doing it right your fingers are only there for feel. The yo yo does the work.

These are even better for trolling, and the leader, sinker and all roll up on the reel for storage. There are many ways to rig it, but the simplest is to drop the yo yo over a winch.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/issu...s_11791-1.html

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl.../product/7972/
Old 30-10-2016, 11:20   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design

Everything you need to know can be found in an eBook that will cost you $4.99. It's called 'Secrets of Sailboat Fishing' and you can download it here....
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 12:45   #15

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not true. With a cuban yo yo I have caught numerous fish up to 40" and 20 pounds with no wear on the fingers. Just like winding a kite, if you are doing it right your fingers are only there for feel. The yo yo does the work.
And, leave the fish out there for a bit, let it wear itself out fighting the boat. It's a lot easier to reel in a tired, barely alive fish.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
enc, fish, fishing