Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2018, 19:18   #16

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Re: Fishing Kit Dream Purchase

Thanks for all the info I will be sticking to the brands listed in the original post because I have friends at the factory, but the info has been a great help. I think the plan is to get two Pen Senators, two different rods types (maybe two of each), enough line for both reals and a hand line or two. And a pile of lures squids and pink feathers (I’ll have to google the pink feathers). The extra ‘stuff’ I’ll pick up along the way.

The vodka trick works on me too...

Regards Steve
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 19:45   #17

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
There is a lot of good info in the cruiser-written ebook, Secrets of Sailboat Fishing.
It's very reasonable cost and immediate download. Everything from a handline to how to deal with an offshore fish that has very sharp fins, chutes, and teeth.
https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/se...t-fishing.html

Here's a free bit by the same author on hayndlines:
https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/handline-fishing.html
KP44 - Good read thanks...!
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:41   #18

I’d stick with heavy monofilament lines for trolling, the “superbraids” will cut your hands to ribbons if you have to handle it with a strong fish on.
Same goes for wire leaders, keep them short if you must use them, and have some gloves handy for landing fish.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:47   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
I’d stick with heavy monofilament lines for trolling, the “superbraids” will cut your hands to ribbons if you have to handle it with a strong fish on.
Same goes for wire leaders, keep them short if you must use them, and have some gloves handy for landing fish.
Yes, small diameter dyneema braid is great stuff, but dangerous under load...will cut to the bone.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
Substitute For The Billy Club -
After Fishing all my life, I learned something new from a friend while cruising in the med near Stromboli several years ago. After trolling over 100 hours I finally hooked a 25 pound tuna on a cedar plug. After gaffing and boating this powerful fish, while holding the fish down with one foot, he called to his wife to get the cheap vodka. After introducing a little vodka into the fish’s gill, the fish instantly went limp. The vodka is a lot easier, more humane, and less bloody than beating the fish senseless with a club.
Yes, alcohol will anethesize them, but not always kill them. I also use an ice pick...not as messy as a club or winch handle.
Old 31-12-2018, 11:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
How does one make a lure?

I met Scott years ago when he was writing his book. He and Wendy were a lot of fun to hang out with, spent a couple months with them on Christmas Island. He truly knows his stuff.
Its pretty easy. The chip bag trick has already been posted. You can construct smaller lures in a similar way using frayed line (there is one of these in the pics I posted, next to the Spanish Mack it just caught).

For skirts, I use stainless steel/monel leader, attach a hook to that using a "haywire twist", slide a few beads over the leader for spacing/color, slide a trolling weight over that (cigar shaped), slide the skirt over that, then I use a PVC plug for the head, melt a hole thru it for the wire with a hot ice pick, maybe a few more for bubbles, add a couple of eye dots with a Sharpie, finally add a big swivel to the end of the wire w a haywire twist (also an image of one of these in my pics).
Old 31-12-2018, 11:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
.. I stay with smallish lures 'cause it's difficult to deal with big fish: first getting them to the boat then dealing with a hundred pounds of meat. I prefer a landing net to a gaff as there's less blood and you can release the fish if you wish. An entertaining pastime while sailing in the blue water is to pull a "teaser" twenty feet or so behind the boat. You can get marlin and sailfish to follow along behind it, pulling it away from them when they're trying to eat it and really pissing them off. The colors that these billfish exhibit when they get excited is phenomenal.
Good point, big fish can be dangerous, very powerful. I rig with about 30 lb test...thats way more than enough to catch anything that is realistic for me to handle. We have hooked up on fish which were obviously too big for us to handle...and cut them off. And even just a 25-30 lb fish is a lot of meat for 2...lots of meals.

Years ago I coaxed a White Marlin up close to the stern of the boat with teasers while running downwind at about 8 knots...beautiful fish...its color shifts were incredible as it whacked away at this damn "fish" that wouldnt be subdued. [emoji41]

Tags
fish, fishing, purchase