Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 10:26   #1

Boat: Shopping...
Fishing equipment

A question for the sailors who fish while on passage:

If you had to buy a rod an reel today for occasional offshore fishing from a sailboat, what would you get? Under 400.00.

And what are you using for chafe (teeth) protection between the lure and your line?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 19-09-2013, 10:36   #2

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft
Re: Fishing equipment

We prefer a handline with 150 lb mono. Simple and easy to handle when moving along.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 10:38   #3

Boat: Lafitte 44

A cuban YoYo for $10.00 a few cedar plugs, some line...and you'll have breakfast.

Old 19-09-2013, 10:39   #4

SV Maclas,

Do you mean a yo-yo? This is what we use right now but want to try a rod. Must be easier to bring in a big one!
MARC D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 10:39   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Forgo the rod if you are fishing for food.
80-120 lb mono and wire leader.
Crank it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100114.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	67512  
Old 19-09-2013, 10:44   #6

Therapy,

Hard to beat for compactness!!! Do you have more line failure without the rod dampening effect? Or the reel clutch is enough?
Old 19-09-2013, 10:54   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We got a great Shimano Tiagra 2 speed on a full roller chaos rod loaded w 600 yds of dacron, Mono combo for $250 at a pawn shop. The higher speed makes it nice when you have to clear weeds, the low gear is nice when fighting a huge beasty without having to slow down much... gCuban yo yo rigs work suprisingly well also
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:00   #8

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I have 2 Shimano TLD 25s and a couple of 5'6" rods with roller guides. I always use a wire leader. Reels have 80lb mono top shots over 50lb Powerbraid. With that combo I have more than 500yds of line to let fish run around if they want. All of this was bought on Ebay for under $400. Rather than invest all your money in one rod and reel, buy two and use them to double your odds. I typically run something on the surface and on the other rig something that dives. I'm covering a wider swath with different lures over a larger vertical area. I carry Cuban yoyos too but prefer the rod and reel. I also have some 50lb Penn reels but prefer the lighter TLDs.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:02   #9

Just had a look at that Tiagra on the net, nice piece of gear and very expensive too. Now I got the pawn shop hint... Won't work for me
Old 19-09-2013, 11:04   #10

Rubikoop, Thanks for the info. Will have a look at those TLD 25.
Old 19-09-2013, 11:07   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use 200 pound test with a lure for trolling and tie a slipknot in my line and that is it--i hand over hand the fish to me and i dont lose a smany this way--the more stuff you have to handle, fewer fishies caught--more money spent, fewer fishies caught. i do this mexican way=---cheep[o. i catch what there is out there.
no--no yoyo, no pole reel or any of that unnecessary stuff--i have better control of boating my fishie -- i tried rod n reel fishing and broke 3 poles and lost 6 fish. hand over hand--fishie doesnt get under boat and i have dinner

if your lure look s like flying fish you are golden
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:08   #12

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
We went with Penn Senator 114 with the standard slammer rod. About $200 full price and closer to $150 on sale.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:41   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
Therapy,

Hard to beat for compactness!!! Do you have more line failure without the rod dampening effect? Or the reel clutch is enough?
Only having the boat a little over two years and not fished that much I had no failures.

If I had line failure I would have upped the line size. But - oops! - I was actually using spectra line......sorry. 25 lb size / 100 lb test.

Clutch - dunno. Never a problem.

That reel costs about 60 bucks new. If you are going for a high dollar reel then I would assume it would have a nice clutch. And it should be rebuildable. Even the cheapi you can replace the washers.

There is no sport involved. Just food gathering. If I had ever hooked a real monster I would just cut it loose. I can't eat a whole monster.
Old 19-09-2013, 12:10   #14

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Whilst not cruising yet, this is what I have On my hobie A.I. A finor reel on a rod made for me by a mate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000253.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	67516  
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 17:38   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
We went with Penn Senator 114 with the standard slammer rod. About $200 full price and closer to $150 on sale.
For trolling I use Penn Senator 114s also on Lamiglass tuna sticks (x2...one on each hull).

Also have cuban rigs w heavy mono, wire leader, and heavy duty bungy for initial shock absorbsion.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, fish, fishing, men