Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-09-2013, 12:23   #46

Boat: Aries 32
Re: Fishing equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
roller guides....maintenance headache....do not waste fresh water on a good soapy washdown of the reel followed by a rinse.....minimal maintenance.
In the case of very minimal maintenance, I would recommend the older Penn reels, which largely have bushings instead of bearings. Those Shimanos likely have functional bushings now that your bearings have corroded themselves together anyway.

CorrosionX is good for maintaining roller guides (and bearings in casting reels). I'd actually dip my boat in the stuff if I could figure out how....

Rod length: Longer rods give the fish a leverage advantage, presumably in trade of something else - like the ability to use line lighter than the shock loads a fish can generate, or to cast a bait or lure. (For Hemingway's 800 pound tuna hitting the end of a hand line at 30 kt, that'd be around 30,000 ft/lbs.... Stretchy monofilament, a good drag, and a rod with some bend can dissipate that shock event over several minutes.) I tend to use longer rods because I cast them, and also because my boat has a bunch of junk hanging off the ends and the longer rods help me get around it. If I could, I'd use 5 or 5 1/2 foot rods for trolling big fish.

Ugly sticks are indeed great cheap rods, but don't really come in anything very suitable to offshore trolling. Mine sometimes get pressed into that role anyway.

>blue/white and green white

I use generally two colors: something predominantly light ("Mexican flag", green/white, etc.) for sunny days, and something predominantly dark (mostly purple) for overcast days.

I'm not sure what exactly the point of a barbless hook on a meatline might be. Big double hooks usually let you swing moderate-sized fish (say, 40-pounds or so, depending on your leader and technique) into the boat without the need for a gaff. Single hooks will often pull out under that maneuver. Barbless hooks work best under constant pressure - eg, a long, light-action rod.

Old 23-09-2013, 12:27   #47

Boat: Shopping...

Good stuff

Thanks for posting!

Marc

Old 23-09-2013, 12:33   #48
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

The wire leader is a good idea, some of the critters have pretty sharp teeth. I like the barbless hooks, because it kept me from having to wrestle the squirming critters in the 5 gallon bucket to reset my line, usually they will throw the hook as soon as I grab the tail and put them head down. Eliminates a possible snag in me.
Old 23-09-2013, 12:37   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I eventually just went to the big single hooks. Didnt seem to miss many (any?) fish. Left the barbs on, but the singles come out when you need to get them out fairly easy. Trebles or duals can be a pain to get out of the fish. You def need the SS leader, about half of what I caught were Barracuda... hard to keep them off the rig sometimes.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 13:06   #50

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Question for those of you who have fishing experience--

What trolling speed is recommended with a floating lure; what speed is too fast?

Thanks-
Old 23-09-2013, 13:11   #51
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

10 knots
Old 23-09-2013, 13:12   #52
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry 10 knots is too fast. 5 to 6 works pretty good for most fish. Salmon much slower. 1 to 2 knots.
Old 23-09-2013, 13:49   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
In the case of very minimal maintenance, I would recommend the older Penn reels, which largely have bushings instead of bearings. Those Shimanos likely have functional bushings now that your bearings have corroded themselves together anyway.

CorrosionX is good for maintaining roller guides (and bearings in casting reels). I'd actually dip my boat in the stuff if I could figure out how....
I said don't waste your water on a passage, I never said don't do any maintenance. If you actually follow the Shimano maintenance instructions you would note that you use oil rather than grease. They even provide you your first tube in the box with the new reel. Soapy water removes oil and grease, though grease stands up to it a bit better than oil. So unless your break down the reel and do a complete lube job after every time you soak it in soapy water you are not doing yourself any favors. In addition, certain soaps and detergents can be corrosive to metals if not rinsed off completely. Can you be sure that you've successfully rised off the soap from the inside of the reel? I tear the reel down and oil it properly every few months and really dont have any issues with the bearing. I find that a bit of Corrosion Block sprayed on the external metal parts keeps them in pretty good shape.
Old 23-09-2013, 14:02   #54

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Sorry 10 knots is too fast. 5 to 6 works pretty good for most fish. Salmon much slower. 1 to 2 knots.

Thanks Capt! I read your first post suggesting 10K, I was amazed. I should be OK then, I normally travel around 7 but can slow down to 5 without any problems.

Foggy
Old 23-09-2013, 14:21   #55

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
I said don't waste your water on a passage, I never said don't do any maintenance. If you actually follow the Shimano maintenance instructions you would note that you use oil rather than grease. They even provide you your first tube in the box with the new reel. Soapy water removes oil and grease, though grease stands up to it a bit better than oil. So unless your break down the reel and do a complete lube job after every time you soak it in soapy water you are not doing yourself any favors. In addition, certain soaps and detergents can be corrosive to metals if not rinsed off completely. Can you be sure that you've successfully rised off the soap from the inside of the reel? I tear the reel down and oil it properly every few months and really dont have any issues with the bearing. I find that a bit of Corrosion Block sprayed on the external metal parts keeps them in pretty good shape.
I thought that salt water was used to 'cool-down' reels when they were running hot with a fish on.

Is this correct? Do they break them down and clean them after every fish?
Old 23-09-2013, 14:24   #56

Boat: Aries 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

What trolling speed is recommended with a floating lure; what speed is too fast?

Thanks-
For a sailboat and pelagic species, the answer is (at least with my little boat) almost always "as fast as you can possibly go!"

The major exception is pulling Rapalas (hard swimming lures) for albacore/etc. - those troll best around 3-5 kt.

Most "squid" type lures are happy anywhere between 5 and 10 knots, depending on a bunch of things.

"Jet head" lures should be trolled so that they "smoke" (dive) and "breathe" (break the surface) - neither so fast that they leave the water entirely, nor so slow that they can't "breathe." That's generally impossible to do right from a sailboat, which usually doesn't have much in terms of following waves to help make fine adjustments.

Folks troll for wahoo up to around 20 knots and occasionally catch other species when doing so - you don't really have to worry about running away from most any pelagic species under sail.

Quote:
...maintenance....
"Oil" is necessary for casting, where things need to freely turn. There are absolutely no drawback to using grease for a trolling reel, and grease will provide very noticeable corrosion resistance benefits.

The soapy water thing is standard practice amongst those who regularly fish expensive reels in saltwater, and I've personally never had any problems that I could attribute to too much soap - I've certainly had corrosion issues attributable to not enough. If a dunk in soapy water is affecting your lubrication, you're using the wrong lubricant (or maybe the wrong soap - I use a very small amount of dishwashing liquid). If you can make a bearing last for "a few months" of hard saltwater use with oil, you should be able to make a fortune selling that oil. I'll take the first batch!

It's also important to use low-pressure water when rinsing a reel - you don't want to blast a bunch of salt into the innards.
Old 23-09-2013, 14:30   #57
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I once went down the west coast @ 13 knots, (no my idea) and we hooked 1 fish from Alaska to Panama, and he ripped out before we could slow down and roll it in. Under sail, 7 knots is not too fast for Albacore or Mahi Mahi. I've caught plenty of small tuna at 7 knots, and Barracuda don't mind the speed. When we run between 5 and 7 knots we would average a couple of fish a day. If you see anything floating on the surface it is a good idea to swing by, floatsam usually attracts critters and fish. Also watch for the birds working the surface, you'll see them wheeling overhead and diving down.
Old 23-09-2013, 14:58   #58

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The most important equipment is a great big jug of vodka! Kills fish right and left.
Old 23-09-2013, 15:16   #59

Boat: Shopping...

Yes! We use a spray bottle to dispense the lethal dose...
Old 23-09-2013, 16:57   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

Thanks-
Depends on a lot but in general 5-6+ knots is a good speed. Plenty of power boats will roll around at 10-12 and I've had hookups at 1-2.

Some species just don't eat things that are moving slow since none of their natural food sources would plug along at 1-2 knots.

I pay more attention to the surface conditions and lure action to be honest. Boat speed changes so much and it's apparent speed (not sog) that matters if you really want to get into the speed arguments.

Tags
equipment, fish, fishing, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: