Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 21:52   #31

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
re: Fishermen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I've had that happen a couple of times, too -- powerboats crossing my stern too close while we're sailing AND fishing. It's sort of like they can't imagine that fishing is possible if not done from a powerboat.
How apparent was it you were fishing? What indication did you show how far your lines were close to the water's surface? How close did the boats cross your stern? How busy was the boating traffic?

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:14   #32

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

.Perhaps some "dummy" bamboo outriggers, to gives folks a heads up?[/QUOTE]

Sail a Wharram cat, and they will probably buy fish FROM you.

* not intended as an insult to Wharram fans, I love the traditional appearance of his cats.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:34   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Isn't 150 feet the regulation distance to keep from other boats while moving?
No - but might be some sort of local bylaw / regulation in certain waters, but that distance would seem an odd one.

In some circumstances that would be closer than I would choose, in others not such a biggie. Personally if no good reason to crowd someone then I don't - and if you keep an eye out ahead then a half a notch on the steering wheel early doors will clear many things very nicely.

My bet is that a lot of close encounters are SatNav driven (and not even because no one is looking ahead ) - certainly around here if you keep even a half a touch away from the usual SatNav routes then have more chance of getting run over by a car .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:36   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
If it is any consolation your fishing line probably cut the prop seals out of his motor and filled his lowers with water. If he is dumb enough to keep running he will no doubt ruin the gears and bearings.
Bingo!!!! But I guarantee the power boater won't even equate the close passing distance to the fishing line. He'll just assume it was floating somewhere when he picked it up....

I'd say find the boat locally and leave him a note letting him know exactly why his motors had issues. Then he may actually "get it"....
Old 06-07-2012, 05:09   #35

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
You have no complaint - try it with a 45' troller dragging 6 lines on both sides of the boat, floating 4 lines on float bags with about $3000 worth of wire, flashers, hoochies, spoons, leaders, snubbers, line snaps, lead weights, shear boards, not to mention hooks. I'm in a fleet of fishing boats who are all trolling in the same direction when some idiot roars through with a twin screw mega yacht and wipes out the whole shitterie!!!
I was back to work in an hour or so but he had to be towed in by the CG.

Should have sunk the dumb s.o.b.

wish you had, I worked with idiot captains like that for several years on mega yachts...seen more egotism than you can imagine.

So- dont cuss out the poor fisherman - he spends his life working on the water and knows more about boating than 99% of the yacht crowd!!
IT'S THE WEEKEND WARRIOR THAT NEEDS THE CUSSING!!!!
In louisiana I have seen more drunk fisherman than you can imagine. Had to throw a 300 foot boat into reverse several times because the drunks decided to cross my bow at the last minute. someday they will learn when the 300 foot boat does not stop.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:02   #36

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
In louisiana I have seen more drunk fisherman than you can imagine. Had to throw a 300 foot boat into reverse several times because the drunks decided to cross my bow at the last minute. someday they will learn when the 300 foot boat does not stop.
Don't count on it!!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:09   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Being drunk in California (over 0.08 BAL) and operating a boat means you lose your drivers license, become a convicted felon, receive mandatory jail time and pay a penalty of thousands of dollars. Your insurance premiums also goes through the roof. The penalty here is no different than operating a motor vehicle drunk.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15   #38

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't know about Louisiana, but being drunk in California (over 0.08 BAL) and operating a boat means you lose your drivers license, become a convicted felon, get mandatory jail time and pay a penalty of thousands of dollars. Your insurance premiums also goes through the roof. The penalty here is no different than operating a motor vehicle drunk.
In louisiana you can be as drunk as you want when operating a boat. Just dont get caught.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
In louisiana you can be as drunk as you want when operating a boat. Just dont get caught.
And in this area not many seem to get caught.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
So.... we take off for a week of cruising in the Gulf off the coast of Texas.... I know, not the ideal time just all that work will currently allow. OF COURSE we always troll some lines in the water because if you don't have a line in the water you definately won't catch anything. Man, did we catch something.
First some jerk in a center console RIB comes flying up behind us withing 100 feet. You guessed it. He caught and broke our line! DANG IT.... that was an 8 dollar lure. THEN while he's untangling the line from his motor he has the NERVE to holler at us! Something about you can't catch fish trolling. AAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH..... REALLY! (Actual comment withheld as there were children on board)
So, 3 days later we're 4 miles offshore and about 10 miles south west of the entrance to Galveston Bay... and here's comes a jerk in a Center Console fishing boat (tan top sides) with 2 big outboards. As if we're occupying the only place in the entire gulf of mexico for his boat to motor he crosses our line and snags BOTH of them. Before we can get a knife back to cut the lines he strips both reels. &((*^%$#@!..... 2 more lures and 600 yards of line gone! This moron heads on out into the gulf. As we watch him all the sudden he stops..... about 2 miles on out from us. Then after a couple of minutes he turns and starts slowly motoring back into Galveston. Serves the #@@ right. There wasn't another boat within several miles of us but he decides to shoot right across our stern at full throttle only missing us by 100 feet if that.
Am I missing something? I was under the impression that when my sails are up the motor powered small boats are supposed to stay some minimum distance away from my boat. It's no wonder people on sailboats want to carry guns.
Here are the colregs on fishing. Were you showing the dayshape described? If not, how was the other vessel supposed to know you were fishing?

A vessel engaged in fishing, other than trawling, shall exhibit: 1. two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with apexes together in a vertical line one above the other;2. when there is outlying gear extending more than 150 metres horizontally from the vessel, an all-round white light or a cone apex upwards in the direction of the gear;3. when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

100 yards off and trolling a line at the surface...

Out of curiousity, you WERE FLYING DAY SHAPES to indicate you had lines out and were trolling, weren't you? If you didn't indicate you were trolling, he had every right to be surprised by it.

I might give a sport fisherman a wider pass, seeing the rods out, but I'd never expect it off the stern of a sailboat. With no shapes and no radio hail made.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Here are the colregs on fishing. Were you showing the dayshape described? If not, how was the other vessel supposed to know you were fishing?

A vessel engaged in fishing, other than trawling, shall exhibit: 1. two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with apexes together in a vertical line one above the other;2. when there is outlying gear extending more than 150 metres horizontally from the vessel, an all-round white light or a cone apex upwards in the direction of the gear;3. when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.
Ha, that's hilarious! When was the last time you saw a recreational fisherman dislpaying that?? At any rate, I think technically he was "trawling" , so it doesnt apply anyway...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:21   #43

Boat: grampian 26

Do you really think the average boater would even know what a day mark was let alone the one indicating "engaged in fishing"?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:35   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

OK, no one uses day shapes and no one knows how to read them.

That just makes both parties doubly irresponsible and liable for whatever they got fouled on, or lost.

You know, like the line in "Treasure of the Sierra Madres" ?
"Real men doan need no steenken nav lights!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:44   #45

Everyone stand back, here come the lawyers.