Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
re: Fishermen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Ha, that's hilarious! When was the last time you saw a recreational fisherman dislpaying that?? At any rate, I think technically he was "trawling" , so it doesnt apply anyway...
Trawling requires a trawl net and outriggers. What the OP was engaged in is trolling, and does require day shapes.

Not to defend the power boater cause he was an *** but in this case the OP would be legally at fault for fishing without the proper day shapes up. The fact that the other guy is an idiot and wouldn't recognize them, doesn't absolve you of your responsibility to fly them. It just means you get to be justifiably mad when he eats your lines.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:43   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000
Everyone stand back, here come the lawyers.
Well, maybe just Bash.

Let me point out that in the COLREGS, the dayshape of two cones with their apexes together is for trawling, not trolling. This is specifically clarified in the definitions. There is no shape or light pattern for a sailboat to use to indicate that it's trolling fishing lines astern unless the gear extends for more than 150 meters.

Rule #26, if anyone wants to look it up.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Well, maybe just Bash.

Let me point out that in the COLREGS, the dayshape of two cones with their apexes together is for trawling, not trolling. This is specifically clarified in the definitions. There is no shape or light pattern for a sailboat to use to indicate that it's trolling fishing lines astern unless the gear extends for more that 150 meters.

Here, I'll help with a direct reference:

Rule 3 : General definitions

(d) The term “vessel engaged in fishing” means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict manoeuvrability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manoeuvrability.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18   #49

irregardless.... anyone passing close astern of another vessel at speed in a open ocean is not a mariner, he's a guy with a drivers license that managed to get some boat keys!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 16:51   #50

Boat: Seawind 1160

You are so right some times up the Sandy Straights Fraser Island there are so many in the channels you are struggling just to navigate your way through and if you get a westerly breeze they all seem to have 20 metre float lines that completely block your way (crabbers it would appear never think about anyone actually coming up a channel once they they dropped them). Try Tee Bar Creek.
I often travel after dark and it has become a hazardous affair, I never thought I would need head lights on a cat.
Anchored at Garys last week another yachtsmen was so annoyed after two prop tangles they said they were totally over them and planned to in future pull them up cut of the lines and floats and drop pots back in water and tie the lines up on trees ashore. Not sure that would make for harmonious relation? But I can feel for him the winter water temp is not where I would want to be at the moment under your boat.
poppyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 18:25   #51

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I don't think I would cut anyones crab pots loose !! if the fisherman is able to prove you did that you would be in a bunch of Law trouble!! at the least you would have to pay for the traps and possiblely the crab he lost !! not to say he might be a BIG Sucker and might be Upset !!! Just sayin Ive seen fights and shootings over messing with crabbers traps !!!
Old 07-07-2012, 20:14   #52
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Trawling requires a trawl net and outriggers. What the OP was engaged in is trolling, and does require day shapes.

Not to defend the power boater cause he was an *** but in this case the OP would be legally at fault for fishing without the proper day shapes up. The fact that the other guy is an idiot and wouldn't recognize them, doesn't absolve you of your responsibility to fly them. It just means you get to be justifiably mad when he eats your lines.

Are we certain those rules don't apply to *commercial* fishermen??? Commercial fishermen often have certain right-of-way but they have to communicate their status to other boats. I've taken three different boater safety classes. All covered all kinds of boating including canoes, kayaks, wave runners, power boats, motor boats, sail boats, etc. Not once, including a class caught by the CG, the CGA and the State of Florida, where such markings discussed.

Given the number of recreational fishermen using boats there are in Florida, I don't think it applies to recreational fishermen.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:21   #53
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

"The term “vessel engaged in fishing” means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability."

In other words -- those rules don't apply to people going out to fish from their boats. Those of you who throw a line over (rod or no) can still maneuver your boat. You don't have to display all that stuff unless you expect to have special rights because of truly limited maneuverability.

Signalling
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:34   #54
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I don't think I would cut anyones crab pots loose !! if the fisherman is able to prove you did that you would be in a bunch of Law trouble!! at the least you would have to pay for the traps and possiblely the crab he lost !! not to say he might be a BIG Sucker and might be Upset !!! Just sayin Ive seen fights and shootings over messing with crabbers traps !!!

I doubt you'd be in law trouble, as long as you can claim a tangle. We have great big huge razor sharp Spurs on our prop, so any line we get tangled in crab pot or otherwise is going to made into mincemeat. Ooops! Sure beats risking your boat for some guys crab pot that never should have been there in the first place...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rope-cutter-for-boat-propeller-shaft-266834.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	43164   Click image for larger version

Name:	fpb-64-progress-dec-10-09-208-1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	43165  

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 21:27   #55

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Several people have cited rule 26 and provided their interpretations. so read it and decide whether the advice given coincides with same.

Rule 26 - Fishing Vessels

(a) A vessel engaged in fishing, whether underway or at anchor, shall exhibit only the lights and shapes prescribed in this Rule.

(b) A vessel when engaged in trawling, by which is meant the dragging through the water of a dredge net or other apparatus used as a fishing appliance, shall exhibit:
(i) two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being green and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with their apexes together in a vertical line one above the other;
(ii) a masthead light abaft of and higher than the all-round green light; a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;
(iii) when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.
(c) A vessel engaged in fishing, other than trawling, shall exhibit:
(i) two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with their apexes together in a vertical line one above the other;
(ii) when there is outlying gear extending more than 150 meters horizontally from the vessel, an all-round white light or a cone apex upwards in the direction of the gear.
(iii) when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.
(d) The additional signals described in Annex II to these Rules apply to a vessel engaged in fishing in close proximity to other vessels engaged in fishing.

(e) A vessel when not engaged in fishing shall not exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in this Rule, but only those prescribed for a vessel of her length.

Here is the definition of a vessel engaged in fishing:

Rule 3
  1. The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manageability.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:38   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc

I should've started a "guns aboard" thread....
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:13   #57
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I would be embarrassed to display less knowledge of COLREGS than a 10 year old needs to get a Certificate of Boating Safety Education.

Truthfully, I'm more scared of sailors with deck-sweeping genoas that fail to keep a lee bow watch. Worse than drunks.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:25   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc

I already knew I didn't need any type of signal to notify the powerfools that I was trolling. Geesh... ya think a couple of 10 foot poles bent over off the back of the boat would be some sort of clue. I also recall reading something in my copy of Chapmans about power boats giving way to sailboats under sail.When I get the chance to step back from working for a living I'll look it up... gotta pay for that time off somehow... WIMHO sucks...but I'm developing a pretty severe allergy to work...
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:04   #59

I'm surprised by the confusion and lack of certainty expressed here! If you can't figure out the rules at home on your computer, then how do you make on-the-spot decisions on the water???

1. A sailboat has no obligation to display any signal to notify others that it's dragging a trolling line.

2. There is no minimum passing distance, but, under the circumstances described, the motor boat is required to stay out of the way of the sailboat. Arguably, crossing the stern is staying out of the way.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:36   #60

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Fishermen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
I already knew I didn't need any type of signal to notify the powerfools that I was trolling. Geesh... ya think a couple of 10 foot poles bent over off the back of the boat would be some sort of clue.
10 foot poles

You wont find many yachties using 10 foot poles, or any rods for that matter in this part of the world.
Handlines are far more common