Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 19:16   #76

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
Re: Firing a gun on Lake Ontario

No matter what brand, love shooting the old stuff. Kind of a "step back in time" thing.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 05:27   #77

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
wow 1890, Id say it must be a beauty, Mines the prewar Savage with the fancy stock, but its seen a lot of hacking. I was tempted to get a new stock, but would have cost a fortune to replicate the carving. as it is it has "character ", my local range guy still chuckles when I appear with it. ( amongst all the fancy Anchultzs etc ). Still knocks them grey crows out though !!!

it was stored in the local armoury for nearly 30 years , cleaned off the grease , gave it the once over, shot like it was "new" , ( well nearly )

dave

Off Topic ?????
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 09:32   #78
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Firing a gun on Lake Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Off Topic ?????

There's a topic in this thread
Old 25-03-2014, 10:25   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There's a topic in this thread
Yes.....read post #1 on this thread.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:22   #80

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I think there is quite a bit if difference between a .22mag and a .22 rim fire if I'm not mistaken.

As to the comment on Lake Ontario about calling the authorities go ahead I'm on Lake Michigan and like I said nothing illegal about it, at least when done properly ect.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:00   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I think there is quite a bit if difference between a .22mag and a .22 rim fire if I'm not mistaken.

As to the comment on Lake Ontario about calling the authorities go ahead I'm on Lake Michigan and like I said nothing illegal about it, at least when done properly ect.
From what I know and read, firing a gun in Canada whether on Lake Ontario or Lake Michigan could get you in trouble and very well may be against the law.

I suggest that if you have a need to fire off a weapon do so in a controlled environment like a gun club or licenced shooting facility where there is strict control not willy nilly on a lake.

Your definition of "done properly" may not be what the authorities think.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:09   #82

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
From what I know and read, firing a gun in Canada whether on Lake Ontario or Lake Michigan could get you in trouble and very well may be against the law.

I suggest that if you have a need to fire off a weapon do so in a controlled environment like a gun club or licenced shooting facility where there is strict control not willy nilly on a lake.
I suggest you figure out how one could fire a gun on a Canadian part of Lake Michigan being that Lake Michigan is fully contained by the US and does not share a border with Canada.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 12:15   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I suggest you figure out how one could fire a gun on a Canadian part of Lake Michigan being that Lake Michigan is fully contained by the US and does not share a border with Canada.
Good point, should have known that....got carried away with the thought of someone firing off a gun on a lake.

Sorry.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:19   #84

I always look at the Great Lakes as being Canadian.....the boarder needs to be moved.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:35   #85

Quote:
Took the words out of my mouth. As I said before I've asked my friendly law enforcement officers about it and I was told it was indeed fine, as long as I wasn't shooting towards and people buildings or structures. That I wasn't hunting any game ect, and that I was doing so while not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. So where I'm coming from and where I live I don't see a problem with it. For you folks in Canada I can understand rules and regulations differ. I would never sail to Canada "packing heat" as I feel that would be a good way to loose a perfectly fine weapon. Now would I do the same thing with a rifle? Absolutley not too much range and kinetic energy. Would I sling some clay targets and use a shotgun with bird shot? You bet! Been there done that had a blast!

Of course all this was before the crazy ammo hording that's been going on when you could go to the store and still find a box of S&W40cal on the shelf... I'll probably just be using a shot gun this year.
Old 25-03-2014, 13:09   #86

Ok, I find this thread so alarming that I did some research. In the state of Michigan there are rules for carrying a gun and rules for storage of same on land. There are separate rules for carrying a firearm on a boat. They must be in an "arms locker" with correct permits. There are certain shoreline buffer zones (usually 3 miles) in place that prohibit the discharge of firearms from a boat in Michigan.

All I'm saying is the advise you got from your friendly police officer may not be true.

Why take the risk when you can shoot off your guns at a proper shooting range and not from a boat where you are not only taking on risk but if an accident happens what then.

To me this falls under the category of careless boating practice.
Old 25-03-2014, 13:50   #87

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Ok, I find this thread so alarming that I did some research. In the state of Michigan there are rules for carrying a gun and rules for storage of same on land. There are separate rules for carrying a firearm on a boat. They must be in an "arms locker" with correct permits.

All I'm saying is the advise you got from your friendly police officer may not be true.
You must have done some serious research...I just personally talked with a DNR Law Enforcement Officer in Marquette, MI. The only restriction in Michigan for carrying a gun on a boat having a motor is that it must be unloaded. A case is not required.

Quote:
Why take the risk when you can shoot off your guns at a proper shooting range and not from a boat where you are not only taking on risk but if an accident happens what then.

To me this falls under the category of careless boating practice.
Now you are repeating yourself.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 13:55   #88

Oh also I guess I shouldn't shoot in the woods while hunting either. After all without licensing or a gun range there is no safe way to shoot a fire arm right?!? (Sarcasm)
I shoot all the time at friends houses and in farm fields contrary to your apparent beliefs it is possible to safely handle and discharge fire arms out side of a gun range. There wouldn't be much point in having one if those were the only places you could shoot them.
Old 25-03-2014, 13:57   #89

Quote:
You must have done some serious research...I just personally talked with a DNR Law Enforcement Officer in Marquette, MI. The only restriction in Michigan for carrying a gun on a boat having a motor is that it must be unloaded. A case is not required.

Now you are repeating yourself.

Whatever......In my opinion shooting off a gun while sailing is down right idiotic.
Old 25-03-2014, 13:59   #90

I carried a gun for 10 years while on duty......no reason to have them get rid of them.

Tags
lake ontario, ontario