Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 11:35   #61

Re: Firing a gun on Lake Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnCamie View Post
I was just referencing the label on the box as far as range. Who wants to be hit from a ricochet 1 mile away that is coming down from a 30-45 deg angle. Who knows what damage could be done. 1300 fps? You better buy better ammo. Mine thru a chronograph is from 1525-1610 fps. Done it myself. Anyway fps don't mean crap as much as kinetic energy. I know that they are hand in hand, still I have seen ricochets well over half mile past target in the dry fields shooting ground squirrels. And fps is not relevant to that and am sure serious damage would happen at that near mile second impact.
My muzzle velocity was the average of 20 stingers measured through a chrono out of a Ruger 10/22. I would not want hit with a ricochet either but at a mile and a half, I'd still be alive if I were to be hit.
theaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 11:45   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton View Post
My muzzle velocity was the average of 20 stingers measured through a chrono out of a Ruger 10/22. I would not want hit with a ricochet either but at a mile and a half, I'd still be alive if I were to be hit.
sure with a 0.22 you could still be alive, hit at 10 feet, or not as luck would have it.
Old 24-03-2014, 12:44   #63

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

Hit from 11/2 mi ricochet alone, no probably not terminal. But, what if it caused another accident? As stated,bizarre accident. We buried my 7 y.o. brother 50 yrs. ago this May from a .22 accident caused from another non-related discharge. As they say, sh-t happens. Never trust the thought of "nothing there, it will be ok" crap. I operate a hunting,fishing guide service and if any client shows up and acts irresponsibly, they go home early. No do overs ever.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 12:54   #64

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

I sail on Lake Ontario and knowing that someone is firing off shots while on the same lake is a bit concerning. If while sailing I heard shots fired (and we all know how sound carries on water) you can bet I am calling the authorities.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 12:56   #65

Quote:
Hit from 11/2 mi ricochet alone, no probably not terminal. But, what if it caused another accident? As stated,bizarre accident. We buried my 7 y.o. brother 50 yrs. ago this May from a .22 accident caused from another non-related discharge. As they say, sh-t happens. Never trust the thought of "nothing there, it will be ok" crap. I operate a hunting,fishing guide service and if any client shows up and acts irresponsibly, they go home early. No do overs ever.
I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine losing a brother at that age.

What if a pea fell on my head and I ran around telling everyone the sky was falling? We can play what if games all day. My point was that the lethality of a .22 at a mile and a half is questionable at best. I've never heard of it happening. That doesn't mean it hasn't though, that is why I asked for references. Myths abound in this world, we shouldn't just accept them. Growing up I heard countless people tell me that if you dropped a penny off of the Empire State Building, it would kill somebody on the street. Those countless people were all wrong.
Old 24-03-2014, 13:03   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
sure with a 0.22 you could still be alive, hit at 10 feet, or not as luck would have it.
At 10 feet, I would not want to be shot with a .22 lr. I wouldn't want to get shot at a mile and a half either but the odds of being penetrated are slim. I imagine the odds of being hit by direct fire or a ricochet are longer than winning the mega millions, power ball and hit by lighting on the same day.
Old 24-03-2014, 13:06   #67

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Here's how the big boys do it in Russia. A 22 rim fire is nothing to these guys.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/17/absolutely-nuts-russian-military-training-video-shows-intense-shooting-tactics/
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 13:18   #68
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post

I see , why is Ontario planning a small referendum or something ,

Dave
Old 24-03-2014, 14:58   #69
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

A .22 is pleny big enough for a lot of jobs. My uncle jacked deer for many years with a .22 in Texas. He says you just park a .22 mag in their ear and they don't take another step.

Ask the Israelis.
Old 24-03-2014, 15:01   #70
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Ask the Israelis.
funnily till recently the 0,22 was regarded as a non lethal crowd control in Israel, akin to rubber bullets.

dave
Old 24-03-2014, 15:05   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
A .22 is pleny big enough for a lot of jobs. My uncle jacked deer for many years with a .22 in Texas. He says you just park a .22 mag in their ear and they don't take another step.

Ask the Israelis.
I agree that the .22 is a useful round and I'm not knocking it. How many deer did your uncle jack with a .22 mag at a mile and a half?
Old 24-03-2014, 15:07   #72

We call the .22 mag the Skime (area I live in) deer rifle. Close to the most versatile cartridge ever.
Old 24-03-2014, 15:11   #73
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
We call the .22 mag the Skime (area I live in) deer rifle. Close to the most versatile cartridge ever.
good for paper targets , and bunny rabbits. I get through about 100 cartridges a week. cheap as chips thank god for CCI !

I shot an awful lot of grey crows on my fathers knee with that cartridge and 47 years later I still have his Savage 22, shooting just as bad as it did back then !!! ( trigger is awful compared to competition guns )

Mind you my old man probably turning in his grave if he saw the sights and silencer I fitted to it !!!
dave
Old 24-03-2014, 15:58   #74

I too have my grandfathers old 1890 Winchester in .22 wmr. Have not modified it, but did my old man's savage .22. He is still with us, thank goodness, but I don't show him what I did to "his" gun. New stock and scope he was mad as hell, ruined his gun he gave me. Old Norwegian men are hard to figure out sometimes
Old 24-03-2014, 16:41   #75
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I too have my grandfathers old 1890 Winchester in .22 wmr. Have not modified it, but did my old man's savage .22. He is still with us, thank goodness, but I don't show him what I did to "his" gun. New stock and scope he was mad as hell, ruined his gun he gave me. Old Norwegian men are hard to figure out sometimes

wow 1890, Id say it must be a beauty, Mines the prewar Savage with the fancy stock, but its seen a lot of hacking. I was tempted to get a new stock, but would have cost a fortune to replicate the carving. as it is it has "character ", my local range guy still chuckles when I appear with it. ( amongst all the fancy Anchultzs etc ). Still knocks them grey crows out though !!!

it was stored in the local armoury for nearly 30 years , cleaned off the grease , gave it the once over, shot like it was "new" , ( well nearly )

dave

Tags
lake ontario, ontario