Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 06:21   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Film Dunkirk

I am SO disappointed at this movie. I expected it to be a fitting tribute to the hundreds of British boat owners (men, women and kids) who risked all to to evacuate more than 300,000 men from France. One yachtsmen was featured in a sub plot, and a scattering of boats showed up at the end but the film was a head-pounding hodgepodge of battle scenes with no historical context. Wait for the DVD, fast forward through the repetitive battle scenes and save your money on the theater popcorn. The whole British boating community deserves an apology.
Old 23-07-2017, 06:58   #2

Re: Film Dunkirk

Thanks for the warning. Could have been a good history story, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:12   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Gun forums are reporting likewise. How could you screw up Dunkirk?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think I have seen very few movies on subjects that I know a lot about that were not just pure carp, it's Hollywood, leave it at that
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Film Dunkirk

Its geared for the modern audience.. attention spans straining to cope with a 30second commercial, loads of bangs, blood and guts galore and zero context requiring intelligent thought.
As someone said earlier.. pure Hollywood

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:52   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

It's a movie not a documentary on the History Channel
Old 23-07-2017, 08:53   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Janet, I don't think this is a bad movie, I think your expectations weren't met.

There are lots of different stories that can be told regarding any event with a large number of people involved. Nolan elected to focus on the story of the soldiers on the beach, not the folks that came to get them.

My reading suggests people that were there and historians are pretty happy with the story he told.

That doesn't mean that there aren't equally valid stories to be told about the folks that came and got the soldiers. Maybe somebody will make that movie now.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 09:18   #8

I really enjoyed it in IMAX but yeah the OP is right - it was high entertainment value. The movie did earn those excellent reviews.

There could've been a lot more boating--at least for this group.

There also could have been more contrast to what the world would be like without a surviving British army.

Absolute heroes all those who responded, those who made it off the beach, and those who did not. We owe them for the freedom we enjoy.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 09:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think I have seen very few movies on subjects that I know a lot about that were not just pure carp, it's Hollywood, leave it at that

What's your take on CPT Sully's movie?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 09:39   #10

I have not seen the movie, but as a son of one brought back to Britain I think any story about what happened would be worth while in keeping this part of history in the minds of our younger today.

The truth and accuracy will only be known by those who were there and what they remember.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:02   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok so some friends said it is a good movie. i went to piratebay and downloaded it and an earlier 1958 dunkirk. i will watch in sequence.
i know folks walk into a movie with expectations and those are not met.
last movie i walked into with expectations was the theatre version of to kill a mockingbird. i am with the cat meme--it had nothing to do with killing birds...
therefore--- do not walk into movies with expectations as they will invariably be unmet.
i disliked robert redfords bad movie on movie badness grounds. it was unwatchable.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 14:14   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
What's your take on CPT Sully's movie?

I haven't seen it.
From what little I know about that, he was in fact a Hero, but he could just as easily have been a fool if it had happened just a few seconds earlier and or maybe later. However he did make the right decision in a timely manner, so he is a Hero.
He is what was very common, and is disappearing rapidly, that is an extremely experienced Military pilot that has gone out in the Civilian world to continue flying.
What is way to common nowadays is kids, literally. They don't have much if any experience flying and very little training handling emergencies, Military trains better than anything in the world, and they cover emergencies ad naseum, cause with people shooting at you , there will be emergencies.
The kids now days are trained as systems managers, they actually don't do all that much flying, they manage the computer, and when the computer is given a situation it wasn't programmed for, it throws up its hands and gives control to the pilots, and if they aren't experienced and well trained, well they may actually ride a stall all the way down from 6 miles high to the water and everybody dies, when all that was required was a simple forward push on the yoke and let the airplane accelerate to flying speed, but that takes a pilot to recognize that, a systems manager won't.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447
Just one example, there are too many others
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 14:18   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
......How could you screw up Dunkirk?

Well, the Germans managed to ...
Old 23-07-2017, 14:20   #14

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Watchya against carp brother?

Excellent point as usual, I flew all over Europe in the '80's. Our primary source of navigation was a map.Formation flying underneath powerlines and bridges wearing PVS 5's. We were good, we were stupid, we were lucky...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 14:27   #15

Boat: Presto 36

If there were any real heroes at Dunkirk, it was "The Little Ships" and their civilian volunteer crews. Small sailboats, motor yachts, Thames barges, colliers and anything that could float went over and some never returned.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote