Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-09-2010, 20:09   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
DVDs, CDs and Books ?

We're starting to go through everything before (hopefully) putting it into storage.

Looking at a fairly large CD collection, a largish DVD collection and a smattering of OK books I'm wondering if it's worth bringing any of it along for possible trade or even my own amusement.

We have a bit of storage on Boracay, most of it in hard to get at places.

Old 11-09-2010, 20:28   #2

Boat: Y-NOT
why not get a Tb hard drive and put them all on it

Old 11-09-2010, 21:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Everything that is digitally available we have onboard. I've even taken to scanning some books that aren't available, but that I wanted to have. Baby books we have in physical form because I don't want my daughter gnawing on my Kindle.

But all movies and music are in digital. USB powered external hard drives.
Old 11-09-2010, 22:41   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Or get a cd storage case, the crystal cases are something like 50-80% of the mass and similar or higher percentage of volume for cd's and dvd's.
Old 12-09-2010, 19:48   #5

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffsoonGreg View Post
why not get a Tb hard drive and put them all on it
Definitely. Or even rip the CDs to MP3, you can't tell the difference on a boat's stereo.
For cost, the hard drives are slightly more expensive than burning to disk, but in terms of space they take up much less, and in terms of effort they are much easier to work with. And I haven't had a drive go out yet - altho I am sure it will happen some day...
For books thee are several digital book options such as LibraVox (free) for audio books -

LibriVox: Search Results
or

The Online Books Page

for "printed" books out of copyright, but I have difficulty in reading a book on a screen - even the Sony book reader...

Everywhere I have been there are book exchanges, so it is worthwhile to bring paperbacks to read and then exchange for others. What is available is serendipity, sometimes great, frequently romance "bodice ripping" fiction, but usually something curious enough to get by to the next book exchange.

I use a car stereo for the boat, and the new ones have USB ports for external memory sticks. An 8 GB memory stick will play MP3 music without repeating for about 6 days (150 hours). The big external memory is the archive for swapping out different kinds of music to the memory stick and the stereo. Little battery operated MP3 players will go for about 24 hours on a battery for books or music while on watch (at least you keep awake if not listening-capable), again with the big external memory as archive.

Michael
Old 12-09-2010, 20:20   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We've got one of these little drives; 500gb and the size of a pack of cards. USB powered so no other cables floating around. We burn CD's from the laptop of stuff we need to backup (pictures, documents).

Amazon.com: Oyen Digital 500GB External USB 2.5" Mini Portable Hard Drive: Electronics
Old 13-09-2010, 02:58   #7

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
I have a similar problem without the storage space on the boat. I agree dumping all the CDs onto digital format is a good idea in particular considering how most marine CD players now have USB and Ipod connections.

If you can store the books and DVDs (especially the books) they can be great little bartering and exchange packages as you meet people cruising along. I am still not sure how a lot of people would react to my cult/art house DVD collection, so I am thinking some of the more bizarre stuff might be better off auctioned on Ebay?

Mind you, I have got a copy of Roman Polanski’s “Knife in the Water” ; a hard to find and excellent subtitled Polish film with a boating storyline. One of my other favourites is Sam Neill in ‘Perfect Strangers”, but I am worried playing it might scare away the few female crew who might have considered coming onboard?

Old 13-09-2010, 03:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We've got one of these little drives; 500gb and the size of a pack of cards. USB powered so no other cables floating around. We burn CD's from the laptop of stuff we need to backup (pictures, documents).

Amazon.com: Oyen Digital 500GB External USB 2.5" Mini Portable Hard Drive: Electronics
Likewise, have you seen the new Fusion systems that dock I-phones? I never thought I would ever bother with this sort of technology, but even a mate with a classic yacht reckons they are both brilliant. Maybe I am just disappointed Aldi didn’t have the $40 long distance radio receivers their catalogue said would be on special this week?
Old 13-09-2010, 18:00   #9

Here is the new Fusion model that docks I-phones. Honestly, I am still more impressed that it receives VHF than anything else. You can also get a sperate docking module that is compatible with their other units and receivers.

http://www.fusionelectronics.com.au/australia/marine-audio-2/stereo-units-15/msra200-135-product.aspx

The technology I am really waiting for is when other brand VHF transmitters have a built in GPS for distress calls like the new Standard Horizon handhelds (and sadly enough those I-phones!)
Old 13-09-2010, 19:08   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Simple rule: All digital goes digital, all analog goes analog
I store all my music at home and on travel on a passport and I have 80 gb of music alone, and an abundance of films.
If you are ripping your cd's I would recommend to use cdex and set the ripping to hi quality - 320kbps or (if your radio supports or you are planning to play trough a laptop) a variable bitrate. If you add the cdex repositories it will auto tag your music collection, so you just insert the cd and the program do the rest.

DVD's are a bit harder to rip, and are great for swapping, as well as books. you might want a paper cover book because you are on a boat and things sometimes get wet

We used to swap books all the time and it was great, we met a lot of cruisers like that. We also got some really strange books ;-)

If you have books that you got and never had the patience to read, a long voyage is a good time, that is how I found my self reading "The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam" by Barbara W. Tuchman.

IMHO the best author ever for boat reading is Robert Ludlum , each one is a 1000 pages, you can't stop reading till you get to the end, and after finishing the book you just want another one.
Old 14-09-2010, 04:00   #11

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Music to ipod or whatever other medium.
DVDs only worth it if you can find a 12v DVD player (not hard) or have the power - but if you are in teh same 'region' and language area are great to have and trade. (Don't forget that US and European DVDs are not inter-tradable often.) We do have a DVD compression programme.

We do have about 500 books on board, including all the boat books (pilots, manuals etc). Some of these are swapsies, and very useful, and others are keepers, either for long sails or because we love them and don't want to live without them, or for research around either Pip's jewellry making or Sarah's writing. We've made the room, and RG would probably float higher in the water without them.

It's a function as well of whether you have/want storage/house ashore. For six years we didn't have a land base, so it all came with us, and there certainly wasn't room for CDs when we could store digitally. We haven't got into digital reading yet, for both investment and eyesight reasons as well as loving physical books. We do have a lot of audio books, as Pip in particular loves them. They are stored digitally.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 04:10   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
Music to ipod or whatever other medium.
DVDs only worth it if you can find a 12v DVD player (not hard) or have the power - but if you are in teh same 'region' and language area are great to have and trade. (Don't forget that US and European DVDs are not inter-tradable often.) We do have a DVD compression programme.

We do have about 500 books on board, including all the boat books (pilots, manuals etc). Some of these are swapsies, and very useful, and others are keepers, either for long sails or because we love them and don't want to live without them, or for research around either Pip's jewellry making or Sarah's writing. We've made the room, and RG would probably float higher in the water without them.

It's a function as well of whether you have/want storage/house ashore. For six years we didn't have a land base, so it all came with us, and there certainly wasn't room for CDs when we could store digitally. We haven't got into digital reading yet, for both investment and eyesight reasons as well as loving physical books. We do have a lot of audio books, as Pip in particular loves them. They are stored digitally.
A little side question -
The average weight of a book is 340 gr. that means that 500 books are around 170 kilo. Does the overweight of the books is taken in account?
Old 14-09-2010, 05:33   #13

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
DVDs only worth it if you can find a 12v DVD player (not hard) or have the power .

Not too hard to solve – I use my navigation and communications laptop as DVD player and would eventually like to connect it to the boats stereo so I have a surround sound system. Don’t think I am getting all technical as I would make the same as simple as possible, which is not that hard.

Then the great thing I have found about compression programs is that if you have a compatible player on the laptop that accepts the resulting format, playing the ripped/digital version takes a lot less amp hours than playing and original DVD. The ripping programs can by-pass the region zoning. Nevertheless, running off 12 v it is very annoying when the laptop dies right at the climax of the movie. As My laptop is 19 v and will only charge when on idle maybe I could even look at an inverter? Still, we are talking precious amp hours?

Likewise, I am looking at buying one of those new micro laptops with an extended battery life, lower voltage and low amp drain. You can always dump the next few movies you want to watch onto one of those huge USB drives then the mini laptops hard drive before hand or at port?

We might be hitting the grey line with copy right laws here, but I am sure you are at least allowed to back-up DVDs you have purchased and/or own? I suppose you could just take the simpler approach and pay for a digitally downloaded copy. Still, it would be a pity to waste an existing collection?

The other thing is when at port who cares; I am sure someone will have a big boat with the whole deal run off shore power? Not that I do not do the same myself.

As far as the audio books are concerned, in Australia I really enjoy listening to similar community, ABC National and often BBC radio programs. Sitting back to a bottle of red at anchor or cruising along tuned to the motion and sounds of the sea and boat, this has been one of the highlights of my recent cruises. This is probably why above I am just as I interested in buying a really good long distance radio receiver than investing in high amp draining and over-complicated technology. Books obviously inspire the same simplicity.
Old 15-12-2010, 08:20   #14

Boat: Ericson 32-2
I always write my name and boats name/port in books that I trade off when cruising. One time I got a book from someone that was originally mine; it had been around the world(maybe more than once) as it had the names of twenty boats and ports written in the front cover. What a blast!!
Old 31-12-2010, 05:17   #15

Have +/- 900 full length good quality DVD's on a single 1 Terra-byte external drive connected to PC via USB port. The drive is DC powered from AC via a converter. The format is .avi Software is Jet Audio to watch on PC , Novatix to file manage, and BurnAware to copy .avi's to DVDs (takes less than 10 minutes to burn 4/5 full length movies)
Ideal for a cruising boat !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: