Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-01-2011, 13:58   #16

Just a quick FYI.

Unlike CD/MP3s, possessing a copy of a DVD movie is an offence, as detailed in that long FBI warning at the beginning of the movie. Punishable by large fines and/or prison terms. As far as I know, it does not matter if you have the original disk!

Cheers.

Old 03-01-2011, 17:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Just a quick FYI.

Unlike CD/MP3s, possessing a copy of a DVD movie is an offence, as detailed in that long FBI warning at the beginning of the movie. Punishable by large fines and/or prison terms. As far as I know, it does not matter if you have the original disk!
Cheers.
Well Islander that maybe, However, where many of us cruise - the 'FBI' has no jurisdiction.
Would that be one more reason not to bring my boat to the USA?

The law that may apply is that which pertains in that other country's territorial waters (where one is cruising).

Old 04-01-2011, 00:35   #18

I think you'll find that many countries' IP/copyright laws are similar, I know UK/EU certainly is. As far as FBI jurisdiction goes, take a look at this:

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

particularly the last paragraph:

"As part of its broader intellectual property initiative, the Department will also step up policy engagement with foreign law enforcement partners, develop a plan to expand civil IP enforcement efforts, and leverage existing partnerships with federal agencies and independent regulatory authorities such as the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Communications Commission."

Not trying to rain on your parade, but people should be aware of the seriousness of the penalties involved. As I understand it the fines and penalties may be applied per movie.

Unless you're cruising North Korea or Iran you're crossing borders that may take the issue seriously.

Cheers.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:27   #19

Islander,
Fortunately the barely disguised attempt to rain a big brother downpour on a CF topic is a little pointless. Unfortunately, much more serious institutional action has deprived hundreds of thousands of families of a roof over their heads ever since the bubble burst and the extent of the corruption was laid bare. People in glass houses ----- .
Old 04-01-2011, 12:52   #20

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)
Hey Steve, look out for my books! I've been doing the same thing every time we go on vacation somewhere. I write my name, where I left the book, the year I left it and a brief review!
Old 04-01-2011, 13:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Islander,
Fortunately the barely disguised attempt to rain a big brother downpour on a CF topic is a little pointless. Unfortunately, much more serious institutional action has deprived hundreds of thousands of families of a roof over their heads ever since the bubble burst and the extent of the corruption was laid bare. People in glass houses ----- .
Hmmm, I appear to have wandered into your minefield, pardon me - I'll leave now, I've already said my piece.

Cheers.

P.S. perhaps you should consider changing your user name to something more appropriate?
Old 04-01-2011, 14:33   #22
Vendor

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
If you will be viewing the videos via a television, consider the Western Digital Live Hub. It has a 1tb hard drive built in, HDMI to the TV, ethernet, etc. The only thing that is annoying is that you cannot simply attach it to your PC as an external drive, and copy that way, but it has to be over the network. Plays every type of file I have run across, except for some .mov files. This includes ripped blu-ray discs, but without the menu structure. If you play .iso files (regular DVDs) it plays the menus just fine.

It is also powered via a 12v adapter.

Our boat setup is: Linksys wireless hub - Vizio LED tv, and the media hub. This will be connected to the car stereo system for audio. If you have your PC on, it can play the files from the PC, or, on the PC from the hub if you like.

Chris
Old 08-01-2011, 02:05   #23

My solution to the media problem is this -
I buy $1 discs at pawn shops, rip them down into an .avi or .mkv format. I burn all of those onto blank DVDs. I can hold 3 - 7 movies per DVD. I save the original DVDs with the idea of giving them as greeting gifts to cruisers.
Using an external hard drive is easy & cheap, but being a (fine tuned) mechanical device in a marine environment means failure. Not if, but when. I have used computers & laptops in a marine enviornment for over 6 years.
Buy cheap used laptops. Two medium laptops are better than one killer machine.
Use the external drives for stuff you use all the time, just remember to have it backed up on disc, and to do weekly backups of the stuff you need to.
It's also cheaper to buy a new flatscreen monitor than a flatscreen TV. You also get a better picture. It's going to die within 3 years open cruising anyhow . . . .
With digital media it's ALL about the backups. No jokin'.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:42   #24

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
We bring lots of books and DVDs with us and it's fun to exchange along the way. Just get on the VHF and announce a dvd and book exchange on the beach. We have always had a good response and exchanged for some good reading and viewing for further travels.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 03:49   #25

Re: DVDs, CDs and Books ?

I've used Pimsleur to learn Spanish, Arabic and a bit of Mandarin Chinese. If you're an audio learner then look into getting the French version of it! Pimsleur programs are pricey, though, so you might want to consider downloading free FSI courses online that teach French. Just Google "free FSI courses" and the first thing that comes up is a website where you can download free audio courses not just for French but for a big list of other ones as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16   #26

Re: DVDs, CDs and Books ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I think you'll find that many countries' IP/copyright laws are similar, I know UK/EU certainly is. As far as FBI jurisdiction goes, take a look at this:

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

particularly the last paragraph:

"As part of its broader intellectual property initiative, the Department will also step up policy engagement with foreign law enforcement partners, develop a plan to expand civil IP enforcement efforts, and leverage existing partnerships with federal agencies and independent regulatory authorities such as the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Communications Commission."

Not trying to rain on your parade, but people should be aware of the seriousness of the penalties involved. As I understand it the fines and penalties may be applied per movie.

Unless you're cruising North Korea or Iran you're crossing borders that may take the issue seriously.

Cheers.
Be aware that in the UK it's against Copyright laws to copy or change the format of a digital work - so if you've just ripped a CD to your iPod, that's illegal - even though you own the CD.

Not that much will happen - it's a civil case, and the UK doesn't have a concept of punitive damage - they can only claim what they can actually prove they have lost.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: