Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 18:24   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Does anyone remember the TV show

Adventures in paridise? It was from the late 50s. I remember that I loved it as a kid but I no longer remember it. Is it on DVD?
Old 10-01-2006, 18:30   #2
Kai Nui

Captain Adam Troy!
Too early for me, I wasn't born until 65, and I do not remember any reruns of that one, but lot's of internet info on it. Looks like it was a great show.
Old 10-01-2006, 18:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It was in reruns when I was a kid too.
Old 10-01-2006, 18:45   #4
Kai Nui

HMMM... Don't know how I missed that one. Regional programming?
Old 10-01-2006, 19:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm an older kid than you are. I think it was on on Saturday afternoon in about 1962 or63 when I was about 4 or 5. That is why my memory of the show is weak.
Old 10-01-2006, 19:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
As a kid my Dad and I would sit together and watch Adventures in Paradise. 'Adventures in Paradise' and Richard Baum's book, "By the Wind" influenced my idea about what sailing should be about. to be frank, I only have vague memories of the show and most are of the schooner under sail in narrow passages.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 19:14   #7
Kai Nui

It ran from 59-62, and it is available on VHS. Heres the link.
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musit...es+in+Paradise
Old 10-01-2006, 19:20   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Does anyone remember the TV show

Quote:
irwinsailor once whispered in the wind:
Adventures in paridise? It was from the late 50s. I remember that I loved it as a kid but I no longer remember it. Is it on DVD?
It is on VHS. One could record it over to DVD for personal use.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/adventures-in-paradise.htm

I vaguely remember it myself. I was more into SiFi at the time.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 20:38   #9

Seaquest DSV, Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea

Anybody remember Seaquest DSV.

That show is now starting to become available on DVD. Lasted only 3 seasons. And NBC if I remember correctly were making and showing them. Staring Roy Schnider (Jaws, Jaws2).

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

Ran from 1964-1968. Starring Richard Basehart, as Adm. Harriman Nelson. Their submarines' name is the Nautilas. And it's a special sub.

These two are underwater tv series. And these two shows had made a impact on my life. Among a number of others.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:47   #10

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Sea T.V.

Yes, I remember both "Seaquest DSV, "and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea." Both shows were very good, but Voyage...was one of my favorite shows as a kid growing up. It along with "Time Tunnel." Now if they could of done a "Time Tunnel Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," they would've really had something

Another favorite of mine was watching re-runs of the Lloyd Bridges series "Sea Hunt." Man, that was a great show for it's time. Good writing, lots of action, and beautiful scenery. It opened up a whole new world to me. There's a vast amount of information on the web about the show. I ran across a couple of items worthy to note. The show originally aired in the late 50's, and early 60's. It seems Lloyd Bridges was mainly due to the demise of the show during it's fourth season by wanting to push ecology along with action. Consider the following quote by Lloyd Bridges.

""There's a lot to be said about what's happening to our ocean... big companies polluting it with their oil and all the raw garbage that's being spilled in there. A lot of villains out there have suits on... that don't look like your regular villain... and Mike Nelson could tackle that kind of situation. It could be just as exciting... and maybe do something about clearing up the mess that we're putting in the ocean."

Standard Oil was a major production sponsor of the "Sea Hunt" series, and Tors gave-up the idea of trying to re-tool and sell a fifth season. Bridges announced he was leaving the show saying "They wanted more cops and robbers. I wanted to look at the real villains of the sea, like the oil companies".

Lloyd Bridges.......what a great guy! No wonder they spray painted his wetsuit white so he would appear as a "good guy."

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It sounds like Jeffh and I have about the same memories of the show. I have just pits and pieces mainly of the ship. And the memory that I loved the show. However it would be hard for me to spend $15. each for 50 minutes on tape to revisit the memory.
Old 11-01-2006, 16:07   #12

Well... we can not forget Flipper and Skippy The Bush Kangaroo?

Combat and Rat Patrol. Gunsmoke. McHale's Navy. And Gilligan's Island. Baa Baa Black Sheep (Black Sheep Squadron).

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 18:20   #13

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I think the "Tiki" was responsible for my addition to boats. She was huge - 85 ' Here's a little from a Google -
Information received says that the "Tiki " was built at Wollongong on the Southern coast of New South Wales (Australia) prior to 1920 . It was owned by a Mr Bob Morris for many years and was, apparently, moored at Birkenhead Marina in Sydney Harbour in the late 1980s. The schooner was bought buy a young couple who took it to the Mediterranean where it still is as far as we know.
To the best of this knowledge , the boat was always called the "Tiki". (Thanks Bob and Bruce for these infos!)

October 2004: I received news from a webviewer who got information from a book "John G. Alden and His Yacht Designs" by Robert W. Carrick & Richard Henderson.
Alden is a famous yacht designer notably of schooners. Pilgrim was designed & built by Alden in 1932.
In 1934, the schooner finished a 40,000 mile voyage which appeared in the August 1937 issue of National Geographic magazine.
Pilgrim was later named Tiki & starred in Adventures in Paradise.
In 1976, the yacht was owned by the "Seven Seas Sailing Club of New York" and sailed in Operation Sail for the Bicentennial of Declaration of Independance.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:45   #14

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
how about SEA HUNT hell thats how i learned to dive and i definitaly got hoked on sailing from adventures in paradise....jt
Old 12-01-2006, 20:12   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I'm going to buy a set for my birthday!