Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2017, 14:29   #1

Diving without guide Grenadines

We have our own gear, but it sounds like in some places you must dive with a dive shop or guide in the Grenadines. We're perfectly capable of doing our own dives safely, however I don't want to run afoul of the authorities.

Anyone able to shed any light on this for me?

Thanks
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 07:53   #2

Re: Diving without guide Grenadines

Just bumping this... hoping for some clarification. Thank you.
Old 21-12-2017, 08:09   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Dunno if it was legal or not, but I dove the point on the north side of Admiralty Bay in Bequia. There can be current.

If its not legal, the dive shops will turn you in. If you ask them, its not legal, whether it really is or not.

The Caribbean is hit and miss whether diving without a shop is allowed. Twenty years ago it was OK in USVI, BVI, Bonaire and Saba, but not in Statia.

If you need to go with a shop, talk to them about a deal if you bring your own gear.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 08:20   #4

Thanks Don. I really appreciate it.
Old 22-12-2017, 08:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
We have our own gear, but it sounds like in some places you must dive with a dive shop or guide in the Grenadines. We're perfectly capable of doing our own dives safely, however I don't want to run afoul of the authorities.

Anyone able to shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

You can dive Bequia, Canouan, Union and the areas around PSV and Mopion without a guide. However, all areas in the Tobago Cays Marine Park require a local guide. That includes and area encompassing Catholic rocks, Mayreau, Tobago Cays, Petit Tabac and out to Sail Rock.
shawndear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 19:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndear View Post
You can dive Bequia, Canouan, Union and the areas around PSV and Mopion without a guide. However, all areas in the Tobago Cays Marine Park require a local guide. That includes and area encompassing Catholic rocks, Mayreau, Tobago Cays, Petit Tabac and out to Sail Rock.
Thanks Shanwdear, been cruising here for about a week now and that pretty much sums it up. As we approach a full moon, currents in certain areas are some the strongest I’ve ever exprecienced.

Tags
diving