Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 11:28   #61

Captain -

I was pulling the two most discussed and polarizing issues that are debated on all sailing forums into this thread in an effort to stir the pot. Consider the pot stirred.
Old 16-07-2010, 11:39   #62
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I'm a retired master instructor, both PADI and NAUI. Originally certified in 1972. I stopped keeping a log-book after I logged dive #5,000, because it was interfering with the zen of diving. That was quite a while ago.
Holy Poopdeck Pappy, that's a lot of dives. I just wish I had sex at half the rate you dive. Maybe if I dive more, the other will improve.
Old 16-07-2010, 12:09   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'm in Oyster Pond at Captain Olivers.

Noonsite does not show a restriction on diving there but,

This is what I got from the sabapark.org site:

Saba plunges below the sea as steeply as it rises above. From shallow patch reefs to deep underwater seamounts, Saba offers dive sites suitable for each diver’s level of experience. Past volcanic activity has created spectacular formations and structures. Underwater lava flows and hot springs are the most obvious evidence of Saba’s volcanic origins.

Due to the steepness of the coastal zone, shore diving is virtually impossible. Therefore all diving must be with one of Saba’s licensed dive centers. Their expertise contributes to a safe, convenient and informative diving experience.

Fortunately Saba’s dramatic coastline naturally limits coastal development. Pressure on marine resources has always been low even as the island population has increased. The quality of the marine environment, resilient reef communities and rich and varied marine life continue to lure divers to Saba’s unspoiled waters.
Well, I just sent an email off to the park specifically asking about diving off private boats: When (if) I get an answer I'll post it here.
Old 16-07-2010, 17:29   #64
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
If you're still in the leewards, try Saba....great diving. And if you want to use a shop, I personally like SeaSaba (in Windwardside).

And no worries about anchoring on a reef: There are about 100 moorings around the island for dive boats (the entire island is a marine park).
I'll second Saba. Great diving! Did just a day trip there a few years back. I dove with Saba Deep, which is right in the harbor. New owners since I was there, but they still have Big Mike. Salty old wreck diver, originally from the NE, a real character.

Ahhhh...I have to get back to Saba.

Healer52 - What's the rate on those none diving moorings. I agree Saba is amazing even from above. The way the top of the island is above the clouds most day. When you first approach it, it's almost like a scene out of Jurassic Park.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 17:40   #65
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Virtually all of them have been what I call swim through dives where the instructor takes everyone deep and swims at maximum speed. There is virtually no opportunity for anything but the most gross underwater photography or observation.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm the guy in the back of the group, with the giant camera rig, slowing speedy down...or actually usually winding up way behind the group, because nothing seems to slow those guys down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
My experience is that these dive masters go to the same place and do the same thing every day. Even the best dive spot probably looses its facination the hundreth time you've seen it, so their bored and just want to get it overwith as fast as they can and get their money.
Just one of the reasons I'd never want to be a DM or instructor. You couldn't be more right. I know a captain in Montauk who hates the U-853. It's a ******* U-boat, and he hates it! He's just dove it so many times that he's sick of it. Meanwhile that is the #1 wreck that most divers want to get to out there.
Old 16-07-2010, 17:52   #66
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misiu View Post
I think log is a very useful tool. Not just experience, but what kind of experience they have. I also usually talk to people to get a feel of their approach to diving.
Problem is people can BS on their log. And then you have people like me, who are nerds and went all computer based...and then the HD crashed. I think I have about 300 dives, done some deeper stuff, wrecks, 0 vis, etc. around here. You know cold water drysuit diving, that most places in paradise would probably accept as more than enough experience for anyplace they'd take you. But no log to show for it. Actually I don't even remember the last time someone asked for one. Maybe showing up with Jetfins, BP/W, canister light, and my reg on a long hose helps?
Old 16-07-2010, 17:57   #67
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
Did not know George I. was on the list :-)
Yikes! Hell no, not me! I don't like cool aid.

I think "stroke" has really become kind of a universal term outside of that group, though.
Old 16-07-2010, 18:05   #68
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Oh, so you know George? My isn't this a small world.

Skip, former WKPP diver.
Skip...you...you know the cool aid comment was just a joke?
Old 17-07-2010, 10:35   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Skip...you...you know the cool aid comment was just a joke?
Have no fear. One does not dive in the vicinity of GI III with a thin skin.

Personally have no illusions and agree with the common opinion that GI is, how should I say it, a controversial person with an online presence that can be incendiary and who does not suffer fools gladly. He would get booted off this forum in about half a nanosecond.

I do think that 99% of his diving opinions are quite valid and following his lead I feel made me capable of doing some pretty advanced dives quite safely. But there is 1% (maybe more) that I think is BS or just over the edge. You do have to admire the results. Under his leadership and the ongoing adherence to his "rules" there has never been a fatality or serious accident in the project where every other group that I can think of has managed to lose at least one diver in Wakulla.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 17:04   #70

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Problem is people can BS on their log. And then you have people like me, who are nerds and went all computer based...and then the HD crashed. I think I have about 300 dives, done some deeper stuff, wrecks, 0 vis, etc. around here. You know cold water drysuit diving, that most places in paradise would probably accept as more than enough experience for anyplace they'd take you. But no log to show for it. Actually I don't even remember the last time someone asked for one. Maybe showing up with Jetfins, BP/W, canister light, and my reg on a long hose helps?
Most people don't lie but if they do it is pretty easy to spot BS logs. At least most of them.
And some friendly talk to somebody without a log would help. If I hear cold water and some diverse environments (beach/shore dives, current, cold etc) it definitely counts for some experience. As you probably agree it is difficult to lie about it if there is no experience.
These are just less or more useful tools to have an idea who you are dealing with. The ultimate test is the ocean.
Old 17-07-2010, 17:39   #71

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I heard you can't have a spear gun (or even a Hawaiian sling) on your boat in the Bahamas. Did I get confused?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 06:41   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I heard you can't have a spear gun (or even a Hawaiian sling) on your boat in the Bahamas. Did I get confused?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
You may have been confused, or just listening to the wrong sources.

Spearfishing: Hawaiian sling is the only approved spearfishing device. Use of scuba gear or an air compressor to harvest fish, conch, crawfish and other marine animals is prohibited. Spearfishing is not allowed within one mile off the coast of New Providence, within one mile off the south coast of Freeport, Grand Bahama and within 200 yards of the coast of all Out Islands. Spearing or taking marine animals by any means is prohibited within national sea parks.

Bahamas Fishing Regulations

Regulations - Bahamas | The Bahamas

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 08:41   #73
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
One thing I might add about spearing in the Bahamas- about 8-10 years ago I was renting 3 houses in Green Turtle Cay- doing yoga retreats with diving- and I had a compressor mounted onboard, we were out diving ,I took a hog fish by snorkeling , and others were scuba diving,but not spearing- when we returned to the houses(on the water) I had my compressor running as we motored in- filling the tanks- I cleaned the fish and prepaired the evening meal- before I knew it the police where knocking on the door, thay asked me if I shot that fish, I said yes while snorkeling- They took the new compressor ($3500) and would not give it back- saying if I had it onboard that was enough proof that I shot the fish while on scuba- , I went to my landlord and told her we would not be coming back,(I rented from her 3 years in a row) the next morning the police where all over me saying how sorry they where and would i forgive there mistake!!!!,the gave the compressor back- so be careful you could lose your A#* if you have a tank onboard-unless you know someone!!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 08:54   #74

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
One thing I might add about spearing in the Bahamas- about 8-10 years ago I was renting 3 houses in Green Turtle Cay- doing yoga retreats with diving- and I had a compressor mounted onboard, we were out diving ,I took a hog fish by snorkeling , and others were scuba diving,but not spearing- when we returned to the houses(on the water) I had my compressor running as we motored in- filling the tanks- I cleaned the fish and prepaired the evening meal- before I knew it the police where knocking on the door, thay asked me if I shot that fish, I said yes while snorkeling- They took the new compressor ($3500) and would not give it back- saying if I had it onboard that was enough proof that I shot the fish while on scuba- , I went to my landlord and told her we would not be coming back,(I rented from her 3 years in a row) the next morning the police where all over me saying how sorry they where and would i forgive there mistake!!!!,the gave the compressor back- so be careful you could lose your A#* if you have a tank onboard-unless you know someone!!
Just more proof that laws "out there" can be used or not used as they wish.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 10:43   #75

Boat: a sailing boat
Well, if they do not want me to dive there, then I will go dive (and spend my few bucks) elsewhere.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, diving