Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2005, 19:52   #1

Dive Gear

I have being diving for several years now and I am planning on getting my Certifaction before I head out on my voyage. My question is, 1.)is it easy to get your tanks filled 2.) what size tanks do you carry 3.) how do you store the tanks.

Matt hager
sv vagans
Old 23-08-2005, 20:26   #2

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
depends where

The ease of getting your tanks refilled depends on where your are crusiing. In the caribe along the Leewards and windards it is very easy as the big draw is diving, Venezuela is a little more difficult but there re a few place. ABC's is very easy.

We have paid as little as 2 dollars US and as much as 12 dollars.

We are looking at installing a dedicated tank compressor as we spend time in the out islands and being a ble to do maore than a couple dives would be great.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 18:11   #3

Matt the norm is usually aluminium 80 cubic ft air tanks, stored upright to prevent any rust/debris from entering the tank neck valve. Most boats I seen are stored on the gunwales in a storage rack. There are racks made for boats that are used commerically in the dive industry. I suggest buying that system if possible. I have only came across steel 80's in the Florida Keys at one diveshop. May I also suggest that you buy an O2 provider unit from DAN and receive instruction on how to use it properly, its very important to have O2 aboard to start first aid to a injured diver...

I have dived many sites around the KEYS and some around Bimini Islands... BEWARE that most third world countries do not have recompression chambers so DAN diver's insurance is a must to anyone who dives... They cover the complete cost of transportion from the sailboat to a recompression chamber by the quickest way possible. It's not usual to have a $50,000 dollar bill transporting a diver to a chamber... It's not worth losing a sailboat over when DAN's insurance is so low price.

Just for anyone's information I'm certified Extended Range Deep Technical Diver by PADI.

jimini®
jimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 19:07   #4
Kai Nui

All great points Jimini. I run the Gemini 80s. great tanks. I glassed in a couple of tank straps from the local welding store inside my lazerette. THat seems to hold them well. I too am PADI certified. Great program.
Old 24-09-2005, 02:53   #5

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Also agree with what Jimini said especially about the DAN insurance. You can also upgrade it to include non diving related evacuation and include spouse for minimal dollars.

At this time I'm only carry a 30 cu ft. pony with a very simple harness [no BC] for working on the bottom of the boat.

My regular dive gear is separate and still have not decided if it is just easier to rent a tank in the Caribbean than it is to carry one or two and deal with fills or buy a compressor.

Also PADI certified.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 03:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
jimini once whispered in the wind:
May I also suggest that you buy an O2 provider unit from DAN and receive instruction on how to use it properly, its very important to have O2 aboard to start first aid to a injured diver...
jimini®
Oxygen first aid is considered to be the most effective first aid treatment for a diver injured while diving, after ensuring the diver's airway, breathing and circulation. ...

Be aware that you may need a Doctor’s prescription to get your Oxygen bottle filled.
See the DAN "Oxygen Resources” pages: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/tr...ygen/index.asp

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

« ISAF | DVD's »