Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2008, 18:41   #1

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Dive Compressors

Ok,
Among divers there is the assumption that any boat you own, you will do everything within your limited, meager and ever shrinking scuba related budget to acquire a dive compressor for your boat so you don't have to drag bottles to shore and pay $6 for a fill after they check your Visual sticker and hydro (and make you update either if they are out).

So far I've only heard of two (non-commercial) boats with dive compressors on board.

The first was Krogen 48 power boat with a really awesome membrane nitrox fill station bolt to the back deck in a "dive closet". Way out of my range, but hey I can drooolllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second was from a diving artical in crusing world a while back. the folks had a Maxsea compressor on board. They kept it on deck, it ran on gas and would fill two tanks in about an hour. It looked roughly the size of a small cart generator (sans the wheels) and I'm sure it was about as noise neighbor friendly.

I have to say that this last option is the best I've seen yet and the only modifications I can think of are to enclose it in a teak box when not in use to protect it from the elements as much as possible. That and I would hazard a guess that this would be rather like a grill. Buy it once and assume it will rust out and die in a few years.

Can I get some comments from folks who have dive compressors, what where stowed, etc.
Old 17-12-2008, 19:12   #2

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
I have a Bauer electirc unit and it fills a tank from 500 psi to 3200 psi in about 40 minutes (the gas unit is a little faster). I think it was about $3K and I keep it in the port, aft hold of our sugar sloop and pull the 12 foot whip out to fill the tanks. I put a dual head on so I can load two tanks at a time.

we dingy the the tanks on land if we are close since it is faster but filling on board is nice when you cannot get to land or only filling a few.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 19:19   #3

Boat: 28' Telstar Trimaran
You should check out Sail Dos Gatos

I've been listening to their podcast for a couple years. They are on a cruise around the world in their catamaran and are big time scuba divers. Here is a link to their equipment on their boat.

Specification
onremlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 19:57   #4

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I had a Passport 45 and it had a big engine room. I had a 2 cylinder Kabota (11HP) diesel as an auxiliary. I had a dive compressor, Fridge compressor, water pump and 150A alternator mounted on it.

I only used the compressor about 5 times in the 4 years that I had it. In the tropics, most of the good diving is within 10-15' of the surface and not worth getting all the gear out.

I used my tanks in Palmyra when we were searching deep ship wrecks and off the Great Barrier Reef when we went with a dive club. It was kinda funny because hardly anyone went below 20' anyway. I consider that as just free diving depth.

I sold the compressor in Panama 4 years later for more than I paid for it new.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 21:42   #5

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
fills

Kanani has a good point on how often it was used. If you have a compressor how often do you use it? once a month? once a week?

2divers
Old 18-12-2008, 00:42   #6

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Friends of ours had a Bauer in a plywood box mounted just forward of the mast on their Valiant 32. It was pretty bulky looking but they were serious divers.

I bought my wife a gas powered Bauer for a mother's day prezzie a few year's back. It's going aboard our 40' cat. It weighs about 100#. A bunch of bottles would have been cheaper and lighter but it was a real item she wanted.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 19:21   #7
cruiser

I bought a hookah with an oiless compressor called a Brownies third lung. Wonderful way to dive. At first I spent a lot of time inflating the huge float ring that came with it, and getting the hookah macarmeyed to it. Then, while diving I thought" Now why did I bother doing that? Next time I put the hookah in the dinghy. No problem. I've left the float ring ashore ever since. The dinghy has less drag than the ring and I can keep my dead fish , fishing gear, etc in it and can climb in and row to where I want to dive. Duhhh!! Shoulda thought of that the first time.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 11:24   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Brent is the only disadvantage with the hookah being tethered to the surface?
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote