Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 14:22   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Cruising for the Non-Drinker ?

Question for the Masses....

Without doubt, cruisers are a sociable lot. I'm an occasional social drinker and my wife can't drink alcohol for health reasons.

With meeting new folks including prevalence for sundowners, cocktails, etc., hosting on your boat or being hosted on another boat, is it ever an issue with and for those who don't drink?

Suppose a Coke (with no alcohol) would be just fine.

Anyway would appreciate thoughts & comments on this item.

Thanks.
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 14:27   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: Cruising for the Non-Drinker?

I run in to plenty of cruisers who are friends of Bill, or don't drink for what ever. I don't think it's an issue more while cruising than on land. A cocktail party in your back yard or on your back deck, same issues apply.

I agree that drinking might be more prevalent among the boating crowd, but that is because none of us have to get up in the morning. We DO get up in the morning, often at sunrise, but not because we have to.

Are you worried about peer pressure?
Old 02-04-2011, 14:37   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I drink, my wife drinks a little, and some of our friends don't drink at all. It's never been a big deal. Nor have I ever seen anyone else on their own boats make an issue of it. A simple no thanks, will usually elicit offers of alternatives. Once they know you don't drink, most people will not even offer it, instead immediately going to an alternative. The degree of tolerance between boaters would be a good template for the rest of the world.

I always make it a point to have some form of liquid refreshment on board that can appeal to anyone. A variety of soft drinks, fruit juice, club soda, tea, coffee, and tonic water. Actually tonic water with a dash of lime is quite refreshing.

Keeping this is not really a hardship, since we drink all of the above ourselves.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 14:45   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

I think drinking cola is more harmful than alcohol in moderation. It can be dificult staying on the wagon at times when others wont take no for an answer and refuse to believe a non drinker can be having fun.
Old 02-04-2011, 14:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I think drinking cola is more harmful than alcohol in moderation. It can be dificult staying on the wagon at times when others wont take no for an answer and refuse to believe a non drinker can be having fun.
Fruit juice and soda, stops your mouth getting glued together, particularly grapefruit.
I never drink and never have, I've got too many toys to buy.
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:16   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

high fructose corn syrup in colas and sodas are very harmful. i dont drink those--i will drink rarely. when i meet folks while cruising i usually have water to offer--when i go to other boats i bring my water. just like in real life on land. i have been on board since 1990, and have found no problem with being a non drnker.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:25   #7

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
Without doubt, cruisers are a sociable lot. With meeting new folks including prevalence for sundowners, cocktails, etc., hosting on your boat or being hosted on another boat, is it ever an issue with and for those who don't drink?
A good host(ess) always has something for everyone, even if it's not their personal fav. If I were having drinks with any group of people and they made it an issue for someone to NOT consume alcohol, I would give them one attempt to apologize or I would leave as I was telling them why.

Beer, wine, and cocktails or tea, soda, and juice - I like people to feel welcome on Sympatico.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:28   #8

We went out to this little bay one time and were kind of bummed that ~50% of the cruisers started drinking in the morning and basically just hung out by the one little bar all day. People can obviously do whatever they want and I'm glad they're having fun, but it's just not something my wife and I are into.

I have a beer every week or two. If there's some really important "night out" I'll get fairly inebriated but that's a once-a-year type of thing. So hey, if you run into us out there, we'd rather go on a hike or do some pullups than knock back a beer.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:37   #9

Boat: Lagoon 420

Good answers to my question everyone.

Not a surprise I suppose, but was wondering since, as doug86 says, "drinking might be more prevalent among the boating crowd". But same as our "land" friends, seems pretty much like a non-issue in the end whether your glass has beer, scotch, juice, or water.

And as Cabo_Sailor says, "The degree of tolerance between boaters would be a good template for the rest of the world." Overall our experience is there are good folks everywhere. Just looking forward to spending a bit more time on the water with you boaters!

Thanks again All for the replies.
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:53   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

There's far better non-alcoholic beers now than 20 years ago. I should know: I'm a brewer.

That said, I find boating cuts into my drinking significantly. Because I feel strongly that operating a boat is very similar to operating a car in terms of responsibility, I don't drink while sailing (the occasional can of cider, maybe, but not often). At anchor, I don't drink for the same reason. At the dock, maybe wine with dinner, but I prefer to "pump the bilges" at the clubhouse/marina, and if you get lightly hammered on your boat, you might have an issue with boarding or negotiating a moving dock.

So while I like to have people over for dinner where wine is definitely served (with nice single malts after with the espressos!) and one might well get quite merry, I would find the idea of getting visibly drunk aboard about as appealing as getting drunk by the side of the highway.

So I understand where you are coming from. As a side note, I find Jimmy Buffett and the Eagles tedious and old...but they seem to rule the musical roost in Cruiserland.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 17:35   #11

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising for the Non-Drinker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
So I understand where you are coming from. As a side note, I find Jimmy Buffett and the Eagles tedious and old...but they seem to rule the musical roost in Cruiserland.
I've left anchorages for less.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 20:28   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Agreed on the music thing.

It reminds me of people who are stuck in their high school years.

There is so much music out there and the variety is constantly growing.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 20:43   #13

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

I have been pondering this question myself. My wife and I prefer to drink water mostly, with the occasional fruit juice. When I lived in South America, it was occasionally difficult to find potable water. I expect that at times it may be difficult to find good drinking water, depending on our cruising grounds.
Spencer
Old 02-04-2011, 20:48   #14

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I would never hoast a social occasion where there is no selection of non-alcoholic beverages. Neither would I not offer alcoholic beverages in suitable circumstances just because a non-alcohol-drinking guest was present. The exception would be an honored guest whose religious beliefs would be offended. That's my position on "tolerance."
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 22:49   #15

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I've left anchorages for less.
Best laugh of the day! Thanks.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising