Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 11:24   #76

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
Re: Choose musical instrument for cruising

try a ukulele, does not take much space, good for groups and easy to learn
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 17:41   #77
cruiser

I purchased an original PANArt Hang last week... Lot's of fun! Looking forward to playing it all summer long on the boat. The scale is C pentatonic like the one in this video:
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 19:53   #78

Boat: Catalina 385

A bass......what else??
Doug4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 22:07   #79

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

The hang chingadera was news to me. But I watched a few videos and it seems to have a lot of potential. Show us what you know after you get it fingered out. Good luck and have fun.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 00:15   #80

Boat: Lots of boats.

George Harrison was a big fan of the Uke and so are we. Guitars are really bulky on a boat, but a Uke can go anywhere.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:07   #81

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The problem with accordions, bagpipes and even harmonica's (after a while) is who wants to listen to them? My vote is for a 3/4 or 7/8 scale guitar. Admittedly, I'm a guitar player. I'm also a trumpet player, but again......who wants to listen to a solo trumpet in an anchorage, essentially practicing for 1-2 hours?
That depends on whether or not you can play "The Orange Blossom Special' like James Last' band.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 07:29   #82

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
For a guitar player, there are smaller models... or perhaps try learning mandolin, ukulele, or violin/fiddle... partly for their smaller size... but the humidity could take it's toll on the instruments... so maybe less expensive models would be best on board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
ukulele is taught at my kids school, and they all love it! They are small, inexpensive, and are a delight (the ukes, not my kids, they are a nightmare).

I've also seen little guitars available these days...hardly bigger than a uke, but strung like an acoustic guitar. This would be ideal on the boat. My preference is a "parlor guitar" which is an acoustic guitar which is just a bit smaller than normal.

IMHO, one of the best parts of making music is having fun...so don't forget the percussion...tamborines, maracas, cabasas, and guiros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have always carried a guitar Classical, 12 string, Ovation and they all suffered from the sea elements.
The one exception is my national steel Dobro, which is impervious to the elements, stays tuned, great harmonics and really compliments jamming with locals on the beach.

This was weighing on my mind... especially while thinking about when we go back to the boat in a few weeks, for another few months on board.

I have a high-end Ovation 12-string and thought about taking it... but it's sorta huge...

And then I thought maybe I'd take my small Gibson semi-hollow electric with a tiny palm-sized battery amp... but the unplugged sound is fairly minimal...

So then I shopped on the travel and 3/4 size guitars, and the baritone ukulele (tuned like the top 4 of a guitar). There are several, ranging from OK to very good, but none really felt comfortable...

And then I gravitated toward some of the thinline versions of parlor guitars. There are several to choose from -- Yamaha, Ibanez, Epiphone, etc. -- and finally homed in on a new but since discontinued PRS SE Alex Lifeson thinline 6-string acoustic-electric that just happened to be left over here in a local shop.

E Voila! Wifey bought it for me, for Christmas! I'm thinking with a soft case, it'll maybe be OK for on the boat, at least for size -- aside from all that potential humidity/temperature/salinity abuse. We'll see how that goes. If it still turns out too big, Yamaha makes a thing called a Silent Guitar (SLG) and I played one; really nice. The acoustic sound was just a tad louder than the Gibson electric... and I could couple an SLG with the palm-sized amp.

Interesting we've had the PRS for about a week now, with three car trips involved... and I haven't had to tune it yet.

I think I'll also take my Bodhrán along for percussion this time... although it's not the smallest version in the free world, either...

-Chris
Old 27-12-2017, 08:26   #83

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Get a theremin and have everybody in the anchorage diving for their tinfoil hats.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 09:02   #84

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

We took a different approach. We had the instruments and looked for a boat that would fit. This meant finding a boat with room for a 5/8 upright bass, two flutes, keyboard, two ukeles, and, at the time, three guitars. I'm sure there's a harmonica in there somewhere. Oh, and two amps.

Despite all the noisemakers, we're actually pretty quiet at the dock and at the anchorage. So far zero complaints and lots of favorable comments on Sue's flute and bass practice.

Cheers,
Old 27-12-2017, 10:27   #85

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Guitars and Ukes are the obvious choices, but I found a spot for my yamaha electric piano! We'll see how long she lasts in the salt air....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:48   #86

Boat: J/42

I looked into this about a year ago - I'm pretty sure that any silver-plated instrument would rapidly decay in salt air. There are some pretty serious-looking woodwind collections made entirely from plastic, coming out of Asia. Kind of expensive though. I'd really like to play a couple of them before laying out that kind of cash.

... I think there was an (Ericson 38?) floating around on EBay recently that had part of the dinette converted to a custom piano keyboard.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 11:11   #87

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I looked into this about a year ago - I'm pretty sure that any silver-plated instrument would rapidly decay in salt air. .
Sue's Powell Sonare flute shows no ill effects.

Cheers,
Old 27-12-2017, 22:46   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Guitars and Ukes are the obvious choices, but I found a spot for my yamaha electric piano! We'll see how long she lasts in the salt air....
We had some magical evenings aboard VALIS as we sailed back to Friday Harbor after the 2012 Pacific Cup. We had two ukuleles on board, plus a $100 guitar I purchased literally one hour before we departed Oahu. Playing together after dinner in the cockpit while watching the sunset was a wonderful experience. I still have that guitar (a used practice guitar I bought in a Kaneohe music store), and it held up very well during and since that passage.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 01:08   #89

Boat: Etap 37 S

We took two guitars.
Only occasionally did other people shout at us at anchor.
Make sure to learn some popular songs that folks can sing along too. Finger picking some acoustic number for your own entertainment doesnt really make you many friends.

Oh, they both held up really well, i just treated my guitar to some new strings and saddle, and its sounding better than it ever has.
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 21:48   #90

I am a beginner. I start learning music. but struggling between Piano vs Violin two and wondering which one is the right fit for me. Both musical instruments need a lot of time to learn. So please suggest me which one is easy to learn.
ilovepianostuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising, men, music, rum