Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2012, 06:45   #1

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Talking Caribbean Adventure

On a recent sailing trip, we stopped in Cozumel - Mexico. A crew member had sprained his back and was in pain. I went ashore to a large department store to find a pain killer for him. At the pharmacy counter, I asked if they have any "Percocet, Darvocet or Vicodin". The pharmacist said that he has Darvon in stock, but with a straight face, he added that I needed a prescription to buy it. I asked him, where can I get a prescription from? The pharmacist said that I can give you a prescription for 200 pesos (about $20 USD). I gladly paid the 200 pesos plus the cost of several bottles of Darvon (@150 pesos each). (No name was given for the "prescription".)

I then realized that many drugs/medications in Mexico, that require a prescription in the US, do not require a prescription in Mexico and are sold over the counter. That's the reason many cruise ship travelers flock to pharmacies in Mexico and stock up on medications for very little amount of money and most of the time with no prescriptions.

Aboard the sailboat, the crew member with the back pain was grateful for the medication. We completed our trip with no significant delay. Memories are made of this!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Caribbean Adventure

It would be interesting to know what medications you have in your medicine cabinet aboard your boat. How have you dealt with a medical emergency while at sea?

Tags
Caribbean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: