Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 22:34   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Can You Identity This Creature?

Quote:
They are weirdly calming to watch.
Well, that's true... until you suck one up your engine cooling intake line! Something that happens all too often when there is a huge bloom of the buggers.

Jim
Old 13-01-2018, 22:39   #32

Boat: Leopard 46.Sold. Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Hi! I recognize them: They're Trump's balls. He lost them in a Wollongong brothel, south of Sidney & they end up in the ocean when the cleaning guy flushed the toilet...
Hilarious, The funniest thing I've read this week!
Yes maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 05:20   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, that's true... until you suck one up your engine cooling intake line! Something that happens all too often when there is a huge bloom of the buggers.

Jim
Which brings us back to the subject of this thread, sort of.
I put one of these Groco hull strainers on my boat.

https://www.groco.net/products/raw-w...er/aphs-series

It will keep the Jelly’s and just about everything else out of the system.
Old 14-01-2018, 08:08   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have similar, but rails instead of the screen.
I put them on for the door. I was surprised to see barnacles growing inside of my old strainers, the door means I can dig them out by diving on the boat and not having to remove the strainer completely.

I have heard of just glueing on strainers with 5200 so that you could punch them off from the inside with a broom stick. I can see if you were in Croc infested waters, or maybe real cold water, that would be an asset.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:24   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have back-flushed using the dinghy pump, to clear plastic bags and jellies we've soaked up. The screens collect a lot of barnies, and tubeworm, and black branchy things. Prefer an opening that is easy to clean with a screwdriver in a hurry, but so far, back flushing with air has worked for us. No need to get wet when you don't want to.

Ann
Old 14-01-2018, 21:49   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have similar, but rails instead of the screen.
I put them on for the door. I was surprised to see barnacles growing inside of my old strainers, the door means I can dig them out by diving on the boat and not having to remove the strainer completely.

I have heard of just glueing on strainers with 5200 so that you could punch them off from the inside with a broom stick. I can see if you were in Croc infested waters, or maybe real cold water, that would be an asset.
I thought about using a weak pin to hold the door on the strainer closed. That way a hard punch from inside, with a dowel would break the pin and open the door. I never tried it.
Old 14-01-2018, 23:13   #37

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Coffs Harbour? Banana central. Gorgeous place. One of the few yachty stop off points on the Beautizone coast of NSW. Great surfing beaches.
Lewis Carrol (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) also must have been writing for sailors as he once opined “If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.” A bit reminiscent of the stoic Seneca who said it all for sailors: “If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favourable.”
Sit in your cockpit after a few beers and friend and discuss the differences in meaning and impact.
Dodgson was a professional mathematician writing on syllogisms (used by IQ assessors for tertiary entrance) and Jabberwocky is probably the best known bit of English poetry besides “Humpty Dumpty”. The other really famous piece of English poetry is the Fitzgerald translation of The Rubyait of Omah Kyam. “ The moving finger writes and having writ ….”. He was a Persian tent maker and a practicing mathematician who wrote on algebra (without symbols) and solved quadratics and cubics using geometry about a thousand years before Descartes. “Rubyait” means “four line verse”. He also contributed to our modern calendar structure.
The general theme of his Rubyait is that you should set about enjoying life and stop being a curmudgeon.
Neither though, made any well known contribution to the study of jelly fish, so how did we get to this?
More topically, recent studies have shown the southward movement of the dreaded Irukandji associated with the warming of the NSW coastal waters. What climate change?
Is this the “sting in the tale”.

Don't know about Irukandji around off Harbour/Northern NSW area but you can expect lots more Great Whites and attacks in the area.

I note that CSIRO recently indicated to a federal Minister that numbers had doubled on the East Coast.

Anyone traversing the area will have noticed the explosion in whale numbers on the East Coast and I believe as Whale numbers increase so too do the numbers of Great Whites.

Talking to several long time professional fishermen from the Bundaberg area that have fished the northern area of Frazer Island have said to me that a couple of regular fishing spots nowadays during whale season all they can catch is Great Whites. Their numbers have definitely increased in recent years from their professional observations. Like Crocodiles in NQ they are no longer endangered. Expect more attacks.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote