Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2014, 07:47   #31

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Can Justin Bieber use a tour in the Marines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
As a Marine, I would VOMIT if he joined the Corps. Though I'd LOVE to see a group of DIs get their hands on him. He'd wash out of Boot within days.
I got yelled at in boot camp. I remember it well, particularly the one time I yelled back. There were no witnesses so it didn't really happen I suppose.

DI Story #2: I know a really scary-looking looking Marine who retired awhile back. He's a body builder, shaved head, health food type. I'd guess his biceps are about 36" around. On one of them there is a tatoo saying:

Parris Island
[ Bulldog image]
Drill Instructor

How tough do you have to be to go around LOOKING for trouble like that?

Biebs does seem to be on that fast track to hell with the others we can all name. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll have to do a little time. Or sometime, somewhere, he'll be without his backups and someone will introduce him to the concept of humility.

Old 19-08-2014, 08:10   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Re: Can Justin Bieber use a tour in the Marines

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
The Navy changed a lot in the 10 yrs I was in. From 1984 to 1994, a strong PC mentality was sweeping through the ranks, and it was fed by the zero tolerance policy and post TailHook repercussions. On the one hand, the military appeared to be cracking down on drug abuse, alcohol abuse and overweight members, at the same time, they cut 5 weeks off of boot camp, instituted "red cards" which a recruit could pull out of his pocket at any time if he felt scared of anything he was told to do nd it would stop all training in the vicinity.

We used to use pretty harsh (but effective) training methods, like blanket parties, night time PT, punishing the entire group for one guy's screwup, etc. Now they talk it out, counseling, etc. The "kinder, gentler Navy" was an actual saying that they used to get dinosaurs like me (at 30 yrs old!) to let up on the kids a little. I was a defense contractor for about 12 yrs after I got out, and I did grooms on the ESM suites onboard. Most of these guys couldn't operate the gear (including navigation), much less troubleshoot or repair it. Good job security for us!

Hell, the Army doesn't even have KP duty or cooks any more. They hire civilian cooks at $90K/yr to work in the chow halls! That's why war is so expensive now, the gov't outsourced most of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I retired just before tailhook. Recruit training was in '63. It sounds like it has changed a whole bunch. Sorry to hear it.
Yea Skip... My jaw dropped when I hear about red cards some time ago...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 08:54   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've been out with no real contact for more than 12 yrs now, but just have to believe the last few yrs have to have been tough. Wars have a tendency to weed out that red card kind of nonsense. I bet the guys going in now are tougher than they have been in a long while. You have to realize at least the guys that join into a combat MOS have to know that combat in the near future is very likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-2014, 10:10   #34
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At this stage in naval history, navies are probably the least combat orientated group in the armed services. Essentially ships are just " carriers " either as effective forward air units or missile transport and delivery systems.

Ship to ship combat is now a completely unlikely scenario.

The navy needs desk Jockeys that push buttons and watch screens. It's no wonder training is different, it's basically an office environment

Dave
Old 19-08-2014, 10:26   #35

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
I think Canada has a federal law prohibiting citizens from enlisting in the armies of foreign countries.
Nope. Not as far as i know. It's probably the other way - whether the given army accepts foreign nationals without forcing them to become citizens first.

I have a childhood friend who had a career in the US Navy. I don't know if he became a US citizen before enlisting, but I believe he's a US citizen now.

The Beebs - is a spoiled brat. He needs a spanking and someone should seriously dock his allowance.
Old 19-08-2014, 10:47   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
At this stage in naval history, navies are probably the least combat orientated group in the armed services. Essentially ships are just " carriers " either as effective forward air units or missile transport and delivery systems.

Ship to ship combat is now a completely unlikely scenario.

The navy needs desk Jockeys that push buttons and watch screens. It's no wonder training is different, it's basically an office environment

Dave
That's not entirely true. From what I've heard, the Air Force and Navy have sent personnel into combat alongside Marines and Army, they all wear camo now and most of them share in the fighting.

There are still Exocet and similar missiles that are deadly to surface ships, there is still a very real possibility of getting hit and suffering major damage, if not sinking. Aircraft carriers are the most guarded of surface ships, the destroyers, frigates and cruisers will get hit first in an attempt to get through to the carrier. Subs are a different story, they're very difficult to detect and we haven't lost one in combat since WW II.
Old 19-08-2014, 12:23   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Bieber a Canadian?

Why does he speak American then?

b.
Old 19-08-2014, 12:30   #38

So you will think he's one of yours!!
Old 19-08-2014, 12:39   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Who is Justin Bieber?

And who cares?
Old 19-08-2014, 12:51   #40
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There are still Exocet and similar missiles that are deadly to surface ships, there is still a very real possibility of getting hit and suffering major damage, if not sinking. Aircraft carriers are the most guarded of surface ships, the destroyers, frigates and cruisers will get hit first in an attempt to get through to the carrier. Subs are a different story, they're very difficult to detect and we haven't lost one in combat since WW II.
In practice, anti missile systems on modern ships have all but eliminated attacks from sea skimming missiles.

Secondly there are very few if any navies with the size and technology capable of mounting a serious attack on the US navy. An opportunistic hit here and there of course , but not capable if inflicting serious loss.

Littorial ships and the like , especially in asymmetric wars are a little bit likely to risk being targeted, but again, taken across the fleet, little continuous sustained ship combat would be possible.

The days of ships involved in serious ship to ship or "hostile" to ship are more or less over for the US, unless in the next 50 years possibly China comes along AND a serious conflict emerges

In the meantime , the Navys primarily role is force projection , ia base to launch plans and missiles. For that very different non-combat orientated people are needed.

dave
Old 19-08-2014, 12:53   #41

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Bieber a Canadian?

Why does he speak American then?
shrewd marketing.
Old 19-08-2014, 12:55   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

I am a Beleiber
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 12:59   #43

Surely you guys can remember a little of your youth. Bad boys were the ones sleeping with the babes while nice guys got zip. His target audience is around his age and younger, mostly younger and these girls are attracted to the bad boy image which he is portraying so like someone else said shrewd marketing!

Tags
marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: