Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Cameras on boats.

I have a fair few cameras, both still and video. After a recent incident that involved bathing a $2800 camera in salt water, I decided to change out some of my water based video an stills equipment.

I took a look around and decided to use my Samsung wb150F as my deck stills camera. If I lose it, or its water damaged, its not such a huge loss.. I have a wb350F at home.

For my video, I completely change direction with the advent of software available to remove fish eye effect. Firstly I was attracted to GoPro then settled on two SJCAM 4000s instead. Each camera comes with all this equipment. Two of them came to $194, less than the cost of one GoPro.

I have also recently ordered a 3 axis gimbal stabilser for smooth shots.

I was tempted to get a drone for the boat, however, given the number of friends that thought that a drone could also be a submarine, Ive decided to give it a miss. The only one that has successfully kept out of the water costs over $8k with add ons, and the pilot never flies in open water, prefering to take off and land from the shore. Its a lot of money to lose.

If I was going to be sailing for a while, I keep my equipment in sealed bags with lots of silica. Every time after use, I wipe the cameras down and clean the lenses. they are placed in the bags fairly quickly. The salt air has not proved a good environment for some of my cameras in wet weather so I resort to this method.

Now with the SJCAMS, I leave the cameras in the waterproof plastic housing and things seems to ok thus far. If I lose a camera..... I have a spare.
I keep a number of the SD cards individually vacuum packed so I always have spares. I have 4 batteries always charged and rotate on the SJCAMS.

I used to use the free software for GoPro to remove fish eye, now I use Defishr 1.0.

Here is example of straightening the fish eye out..... it was a quick edit with a youtube video which if I had determined the actual focal length of the video camera would have been a little more effective.... however, as you see, its good enough. The reworked video is on the right. Its not the best or clearest video but it does show how everything is now straight lines with less curvature. I wanted a boating video so that is why I used this one. The rain on the camera in the video is PRECISELY why I switched.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 00:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Cameras on boats.

What will you do to save your drone? (Also known as Why I wont use a drone on a boat)

Old 09-02-2015, 11:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Totally impressed with the waterfriendliness of the SJCAM.

Ordered another one so I can leave one on the Colvic and one on the Westerly.
Will leave in the waterproof body.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

I'm going to have to get one of these! The waterproof housing is rated to 100 feet depth, which is amazing. In addition to video, it can be set to take 12 megapixel still pics at variable times from a single pic to one every 10 seconds (great for security or catching people that move your dock lines!)

The wifi to phone feature and the HDTV tethering to a TV doesn't get good reviews. At the price ($66 at B&H) this would be fun to have around for a number of uses. Very tiny, fits in the palm of your hand. Run time is about 30 minutes on a full charge and will take a 32 GB microSD card, but only works underwater continuously for 10 minutes before it heats up too much.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:46   #5

Three things I look for in a camera for sailing:
  1. Wide angle lens. It's hard to get everything in the picture, and camera shake is always a problem.
  2. Fill flash. So you'll get the bright sky, the bright boat, and your friend's faces in the shot.
  3. A secure lanyard. I had one that broke aloft, with disastrous consequences.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
I'm going to have to get one of these! The waterproof housing is rated to 100 feet depth, which is amazing. In addition to video, it can be set to take 12 megapixel still pics at variable times from a single pic to one every 10 seconds (great for security or catching people that move your dock lines!)

The wifi to phone feature and the HDTV tethering to a TV doesn't get good reviews. At the price ($66 at B&H) this would be fun to have around for a number of uses. Very tiny, fits in the palm of your hand. Run time is about 30 minutes on a full charge and will take a 32 GB microSD card, but only works underwater continuously for 10 minutes before it heats up too much.
I get over an hour recording..
Underwater I dont know, I havent done it except for playing.
Old 21-02-2015, 03:00   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK

I have my new 3 axis gimbal stabiliser. Work and weather have prohibited me from taking a video but Ive played a little.

Very happy all round. I can retire my mechanical balance Steadycam which took forever to set up and woe betide if there is any sort of a wind.

This will be great for smoothing out all the wobblies on the boat..anywhere in fact.

(His name is Jerry........... totally unimpressed.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050281.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	97571  
Old 22-02-2015, 11:12   #8

Boat: Hunter 386

Have you tried charging either camera on the boat? Ease? Thoughts? Battery life on extended cruises?

On the video side, I'm just starting to look and am considering starting with the Panasonic Cube for experimental purposes although for the extra $50 the SJ looks like a good choice.

On the still side I have always stuck with the few remaining digital cameras that take AA batteries. I have an old Panasonic DMC-LZ7. It was cheap and a few packed away AAs will always save the day. I need an update soon but the models available are getting sparse.
Old 22-02-2015, 11:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Have you tried charging either camera on the boat? Ease? Thoughts? Battery life on extended cruises?

On the video side, I'm just starting to look and am considering starting with the Panasonic Cube for experimental purposes although for the extra $50 the SJ looks like a good choice.

On the still side I have always stuck with the few remaining digital cameras that take AA batteries. I have an old Panasonic DMC-LZ7. It was cheap and a few packed away AAs will always save the day. I need an update soon but the models available are getting sparse.
The stabiliser and sjcam charge through usb cable. So just plug into the computer or usb mains plug on inverter.
Old 22-02-2015, 16:12   #10

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Just got one of the SJ4000's and the image is great.

All the GoPro mounts seem to work but the lens caps and filters aren't the correct size. The lens cap that goes on the camera proper is larger than the SJ4000 lens housing and the one that goes on the waterproof cover is too small. I'm going to check to see if SJCAM offers their own accessories.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 16:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
Just got one of the SJ4000's and the image is great.

All the GoPro mounts seem to work but the lens caps and filters aren't the correct size. The lens cap that goes on the camera proper is larger than the SJ4000 lens housing and the one that goes on the waterproof cover is too small. I'm going to check to see if SJCAM offers their own accessories.
If you look at post #1.......... this is what the SJCAM comes with for $90.

Post #7 shows my indifferent Siamese and all the fittings in the box.

If yours does not say SJCAM............ then you dont have an sjcam. Not unless you got lucky and bought an original before they licenced the name SJCAM..... lots of copies out there of the sj4000.
Old 22-02-2015, 17:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
If you look at post #1.......... this is what the SJCAM comes with for $90.

Post #7 shows my indifferent Siamese and all the fittings in the box.

If yours does not say SJCAM............ then you dont have an sjcam. Not unless you got lucky and bought an original before they licenced the name SJCAM..... lots of copies out there of the sj4000.
It's a real SJCAM from Amazon. I got the same package as you show in #1 ($116 CDN).

What I'm looking for is a cover for the camera lens when it's not in the housing (to keep it from getting dusty or scratched). GoPro offers them for the Hero series but they don't fit the SJ4000.

I was hoping the since the mounts seem to be universal, the caps might be as well but no such luck. I can get the camera lens cover to fit by putting a thick elastic band around the camera lens ring and that's the lens I want to protect the most.

I suppose replacing the housing if the lens plate got scratched wouldn't be too expensive. It would just suck having to replace the entire housing because of a badly placed scratch.
Old 22-02-2015, 17:27   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's a real SJCAM from Amazon. I got the same package as you show in #1 ($116 CDN).

What I'm looking for is a cover for the camera lens when it's not in the housing (to keep it from getting dusty or scratched). GoPro offers them for the Hero series but they don't fit the SJ4000.

I was hoping the since the mounts seem to be universal, the caps might be as well but no such luck. I can get the camera lens cover to fit by putting a thick elastic band around the camera lens ring and that's the lens I want to protect the most.

I suppose replacing the housing if the lens plate got scratched wouldn't be too expensive. It would just suck having to replace the entire housing because of a badly placed scratch.
Thats weird. I dropped one of mine and shattered the lens. From ebay I got a GoPro lens and replaced it. Was same thread fitting and all. From Youtube I learned to focus it with the HDMI cable on the tv...

I use a small camera cloth and cling film to keep my camera safe in the bag. (yes I have a small roll of cling film). I had some plastic end caps from plumbing fittings but someone borrowed them........
Old 22-02-2015, 18:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Thats weird. I dropped one of mine and shattered the lens. From ebay I got a GoPro lens and replaced it. Was same thread fitting and all. From Youtube I learned to focus it with the HDMI cable on the tv...

I use a small camera cloth and cling film to keep my camera safe in the bag. (yes I have a small roll of cling film). I had some plastic end caps from plumbing fittings but someone borrowed them........
When you broke the lens, did you get a Hero 2, 3 or 4 lens replacement from eBay? Maybe that's where my problem is. The covers I got were for a Hero 3.

I like the cling film idea.
Old 24-02-2015, 06:14   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
When you broke the lens, did you get a Hero 2, 3 or 4 lens replacement from eBay? Maybe that's where my problem is. The covers I got were for a Hero 3.

I like the cling film idea.
It was a gopro 3/3 lens.

This is the video that helped me fix my unit.

Tags
camera

« Fitness | Jokes »