Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 15:05   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Bringing Movies Onboard?

The only flash card I had that failed was an Adata. Could be a fluke, but the replaced it under warranty in any case.

The Corsair "Survivor" line are actually in aluminum waterproof cases. And the rather pricey (but high end in many ways) "Ironkey" sticks are natively waterproof. There's a lot out there if you shake the bushes. And it is turning out that many flash memory devices are "waterproof" if rinsed and thoroughly dried before being powered up after getting wet. FWIW.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 15:11   #47

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I ripped 250 movies using Slysoft AnyDVD and clonemobileDVD, freeing up two lockers in the process. The originals are in storage.

I use MP4 because I use iDevices to view movies or to feed a TV.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 13:06   #48

Boat: TBC

Anybody used one of these small portable projectors which are available now?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mp50-porta...rojector-n59qq

This one typically display up to a 50 inch screen and runs on 5v.
When out on a dark mooring on a quiet summers night it could be quite effective against a piece of white sail.....

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 17:56   #49

Boat: Made offer on a Regal
Talking Re: Bringing Movies Onboard?

just a up date since we switched over to the WD HD TV live and live plus. we have over 5000 movies at our disposal. For the boat and house we also went with the WD my cloud ex4. We now have over 16 TB of e- books, videos, songs, and still can back up our computers. The server works over internet, WIFI, and cables. Now all can watch what they want at any time! To do this we had to up our router also. But the system is so worth it. For under $1500 we have the complete system set and read to add more movies. Thanks so much for the info guy's n gal's. A big plus it it all runs of 12 DC!
Old 04-11-2014, 20:10   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Have you found a tool to rip blurays? Or did you settle for dvd?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 00:13   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltttzr View Post
just a up date since we switched over to the WD HD TV live and live plus. we have over 5000 movies at our disposal. For the boat and house we also went with the WD my cloud ex4. We now have over 16 TB of e- books, videos, songs, and still can back up our computers. The server works over internet, WIFI, and cables. Now all can watch what they want at any time! To do this we had to up our router also. But the system is so worth it. For under $1500 we have the complete system set and read to add more movies. Thanks so much for the info guy's n gal's. A big plus it it all runs of 12 DC!
Great news that you have worked it out.

What did you sue to rip your DVDs?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 00:53   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Have you found a tool to rip blurays? Or did you settle for dvd?

Have a look at MakeMKV @ MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD.
It is available for windows, mac and linux.

It rips BR and DVD, allows you to select languages, subtitles, main movie, etc. It does not reduce the size of the movie. It is quick and easy to use. approx. 30 min for a full BR.

It produces a single MKV file. Most media players can play this format.

No relation, just a happy user.

Bas
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:49   #53

Handbrake is a popular ripping program with many features. Be aware that there is often two steps in ripping a dvd - removing encryption, then ripping. Dvddecryptor is one for the first stage.

I also will confirm what a great bit of gear the wd tv live is. Plays almost everything, small, runs off 12v, plays off the network and also streams from the Internet.

The next stage from wd tv live is probably Xbmc or plex. Both typically run off a pc.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:11   #54

I use fast DVD ripper, and handbrake for the majority. The vhs ( yes I know....) I used Tvhonen version 5 new is 7. It allows me to go straight from av to digital. The better half was very happy when she found her high school play on the file server. She actually cried!!!! The WD has 2 counter parts both work well. I would recommend the net TV 300sl cheaper than the WD but can not do as much. Also if you do have a WD HDTV live or plus check out wdlxtv it is a firmware flash that gives you a lot of extra features! Still looking for something to copy over photo cd's . 2 of our CD' s came from a photo place in Co and you can only view not copy or print any? If you go to print it takes you to their web site. Makes the better half sad because those are the only Picts of her family that lives over in other country's
Old 05-11-2014, 04:35   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Still looking for something to copy over photo cd's . 2 of our CD' s came from a photo place in Co and you can only view not copy or print any? If you go to print it takes you to their web site. Makes the better half sad because those are the only Picts of her family that lives over in other country's

I had a Ricoh digicam for a couple of years. They had a proprietary format. Luckily I found a converter on-line before the photos became unreadble on modern PCs. I think the file format as like .J6I or something.

It's no solution as you'd lose a ton of resolution but you may consider viewing those files on a high res monitor and doing screen captures. At least you would have a backup. You might be able to get 1024X768 at least. I dont' store my standard jpegs at any higher resolution anyway.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:04   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I had a Ricoh digicam for a couple of years. They had a proprietary format. Luckily I found a converter on-line before the photos became unreadble on modern PCs. I think the file format as like .J6I or something.

It's no solution as you'd lose a ton of resolution but you may consider viewing those files on a high res monitor and doing screen captures. At least you would have a backup. You might be able to get 1024X768 at least. I dont' store my standard jpegs at any higher resolution anyway.
I have thought of that. But have not tried it as of yet. I just would like to know what others have. If I can finish up with my health and get better will be spending a lot of time on the boat, so I want to be ready. Also might have a slim chance of getting a new bigger one. Better half OKed it if we sign the gas well rights over on the back 40 for a big well. Fingers crossed for me haha.

Sent from my A500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-11-2014, 13:42   #57

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
I use fast DVD ripper, and handbrake for the majority. The vhs ( yes I know....) I used Tvhonen version 5 new is 7. It allows me to go straight from av to digital. The better half was very happy when she found her high school play on the file server. She actually cried!!!! The WD has 2 counter parts both work well. I would recommend the net TV 300sl cheaper than the WD but can not do as much. Also if you do have a WD HDTV live or plus check out wdlxtv it is a firmware flash that gives you a lot of extra features! Still looking for something to copy over photo cd's . 2 of our CD' s came from a photo place in Co and you can only view not copy or print any? If you go to print it takes you to their web site. Makes the better half sad because those are the only Picts of her family that lives over in other country's
I'm pretty sure I could get the images out.. Do you know how to make an ISO of the CD? If so, I can give you somewhere to upload and I would do my best to get the images..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:55   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I'm pretty sure I could get the images out.. Do you know how to make an ISO of the CD? If so, I can give you somewhere to upload and I would do my best to get the images..
I will ask her what she thinks. Thank you for the offer! As far as the ISO? No I do not, sorry I am better at hardware than software.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:02   #59

Boat: 1987 Island Packet 31

My wife and I have been talking about the movie ripping process off and on for most of this year. Every time we looked into what it takes the process made our heads spin (and we're in the low 30's age range). The final decision was to just buy a big CD case like this:

Amazon.com: Aluminum-Like Hard CD Case in Silver - 300 Disc Capacity: Electronics

So simple and easy, no apple TV,, MP4's, corrupted files or spending time ripping your collection one at a time and praying that it works.
challis0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:08   #60

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
I will ask her what she thinks. Thank you for the offer! As far as the ISO? No I do not, sorry I am better at hardware than software.

Here is a link to a free app (Windows) that will create an ISO.
IsoCreator | SourceForge.net

An ISO is essentially a virtual copy of a CD that preserves all the attributes. This will allow me to mount the ISO in a virtual CD drive and see how they structured the files. I doubt it will take more than 10 min to get industry standard pictures (jpg, bmp, png) off the CD.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie