Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-04-2014, 05:14   #16

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: Bringing Movies Onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sure, one binder.

I made the paradigm shift once I realized the postage stamp I had mislaid (ahem) was replacing the yards of shelving that a thousand LPs would have occupied.

Same postage stamp would very likely hold 100 DVD quality movies in MP4 format. Saving two pounds of payload and making the boat lighter and faster, which is the whole point, right? (G)

Truth be told, I already did the same with our music... LPs, CDs, the lot...

But hadn't gotten around to researching the "how to rip DVDs" issue yet, so have been following with interest.

-Chris

Old 29-04-2014, 05:23   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I used to be big on ripping movies and music, yes I know I should back-up, but just don't get around to that, and then the hard drive swallows it's arse, and everything's gone.
So is there a way to mirror hard drives not in a computer?

Old 29-04-2014, 06:41   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"So is there a way to mirror hard drives not in a computer"
Not really. There are redundant storage devices, but really they are just one-trick computers.
If you have files on a portable hard drive, or a flash drive, or a memory card, whatever it is, really all you need to do is buy a second one, plug them both into a computer, and copy the files across. Voila, you are backed up. These days, drives of all kinds are so cheap it really pays to buy one or two backups and keep moving things forward as they get faster and cheaper. For instance, a 2TB portable drive can run $125 with a USB3 interface. That's about 10x faster than USB2, so an overnight backup now becomes just an hour. And if your computer doesn't support USB3 yet, that's OK because sooner or later something you use will. If not faster still.

You can't buy the same capacity in CDs or DVDs that you can buy on hard drives these days. With or without jewel cases or binders.(G) Another good reason to "go hard".
Old 29-04-2014, 06:51   #19

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I used to be big on ripping movies and music, yes I know I should back-up, but just don't get around to that, and then the hard drive swallows it's arse, and everything's gone. So is there a way to mirror hard drives not in a computer?
Norton Ghost and a USB SATA adapter. Look up hirems for an easy to set up package.
Old 29-04-2014, 07:19   #20

I tend to look for devices that take 12vDC.

My current setup is

- ubiquiti M2 bridge to get to the marina wifi (gets dicey past 2nd row, but only because the marina is tech illiterate and won't let me buy them decent equipment)
- mirkotik router for inside the boat (overkill; not enough ports; will run off of power over ethernet)
- world book NAS (I don't really like these, but I had them laying around)
- gen 2 jail broken apple TV (has the ability to connect to the NAS)

As a courtesy to other marina wifi users, I will not stream anything across the WAN. I tend to bring media in that has been downloaded elsewhere and if I have to pull something large down, I will do it on off-hours.

For ripping, I've started using Handbrake (I'm more of a Mac/Linux person). I've found that some of the newer DVDs have particularly tenacious encryption that can't be removed with the traditional windows tools, but Handbrake seems to do the job (I take these things personally and usually won't give up until the jobs is done). No DVDs get put on the boat unless they've been DeCSSed (so that business models don't get in the way of fair use between cruisers).

I'd like to take a crack and modifying the apple TV to ~12v, but the TV is the other limiting factor that still requires 110vAC.
Old 29-04-2014, 07:21   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2008)

The best storage option is a Drobo mini <http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/mini/> for portability and capacity. Put your data, music and movies on the Drobo and you will always be backed up.

Buying 2 drives and and copying one to the other is RAID 1 (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) where a mirror image is made from one storage device to another. You can buy relatively inexpensive ones at most computer sales places. They are easy to use and don't require a computer degree to set up. The Drobo above is even easier.
Old 29-04-2014, 07:51   #22

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
I used to be big on ripping movies and music, yes I know I should back-up, but just don't get around to that, and then the hard drive swallows it's arse, and everything's gone.
So is there a way to mirror hard drives not in a computer?
Yes this is very easy in a non-laptop computer. They sell SATA RAID cards very cheap these days ($40 or so). Most high end motherboards include this feature.

You could look in your bios for a feature called RAID. If you don't have it, then buy a card.

Personally I don't plan on having any spinning disks on my boat. Platter based hard drives are power pigs and prone to crash. My plan is to build a Synology (DROBO competition) with SSD drives in a raid.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-04-2014, 07:56   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've simply used the disks, for 20 years. Never have a problem. Not sayin' digital storage isn't more compact, just sayin' you don't need to, if the boat is dry.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 08:13   #24
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

kickass.to for movies and such. There is a bluetooth 4gb hard drive backup system that automatically backs up your personal cloud sold at tiger direct, and Im sure elsewhere. Does phone tablets laptops desktops without thinking about it once its setup.
Old 29-04-2014, 08:30   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've done RAID's both mirrored and interlaced with a computer before, but sans computer is what I'm asking. I've not done it, but it sounds as if there are TV's now that thru a USB will power a 2.5" drive and without any other hardware, play movies from said hard drive?
If that's the case and I assume it is, the next level in my mind would be able to mirror this drive so that when it fails, you don't lose all those movies you spent hundreds of hours ripping.
Old 29-04-2014, 08:37   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

HANDBRAKE. Thats your answer

Click Here or maybe over ------There
Old 29-04-2014, 08:56   #27

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
I've done RAID's both mirrored and interlaced with a computer before, but sans computer is what I'm asking. I've not done it, but it sounds as if there are TV's now that thru a USB will power a 2.5" drive and without any other hardware, play movies from said hard drive?
If that's the case and I assume it is, the next level in my mind would be able to mirror this drive so that when it fails, you don't lose all those movies you spent hundreds of hours ripping.
Then DROBO, Synology or one of the other higher end NAS devices are your answer. They do RAID by themselves and can feed any "Smart" TV the movies (or any media) via Ethernet or WIFI. If you choose WIFI, then they can also feed the movies to any IPAD, Android or Windows based devices.

The only downside is if you choose to put cheaper spinning disk in the devices they are quite power hunger. If you go with SSD, they draw WAY LESS power, but it costs WAY MORE.
Old 29-04-2014, 09:24   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

A lot of interesting options; we tried several and ended up just carrying a few hundred DVD's in zipper cases. They really don't take up that much space and we can trade them easily. We found that most we didn't want to watch more than once or twice but the physical medium can be traded like paperbacks can be so that works for us. Different with music where we find ourselves listening to things multiple times, so in that case it's all on multiple drives with a Mac Mini acting as a media server... different strokes...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:21   #29
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Heres the tv i use. The usb port wont support a hdd though, I have a "tv box" computer attached and passport hdd full of video, music, engine manuals etc... One plus is I attach a usb gps module and have fully functional chartplotter loaded with charts. Linux ubuntu, opencpn and noaa all supply the free software. If your gonna have a tv onboard why not make it full function? The computer cost less than $200 loaded. Has a dual core 1.6G processor. Wireless mouse and keyboard, option of plugging in dvd player or wifi. Small form factor is about 7"x7"x2" and mounts on bulkhead by the articulating mount for tv.

New 19" LED LCD Full HDTV TV Television 12V Cord for Car Truck Boat RV AC DC New | eBay
Old 29-04-2014, 12:05   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SSD is great, I use an SSD for navigation flying as a spinning hard drive has a 10,000 ft limit, but any significant storage space is expensive

Tags
movie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: