Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 15:01   #76

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Boat Dog Breeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
NOT a German Shepherd Dog unless it's a really really big boat.
+++1

Our first dog at this location (he's been gone a half dozen years) had strong german shepherd genes (even though he was a mutt). He'd climb the walls if he couldn't get rid of his cabin fever every few days by running loose in the fields or commons. Our "Hutch" has a little GSD in him (much pointier face than full blooded lab) - but he's content to sit and watch the day go by most of the time.
Old 06-10-2013, 15:50   #77

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

We had a Dachsund for 13 years, he was a good boat dog, good watch dog, very importantly, easy to lower and retrieve from the dinghy, and short hair so easy to wash and dry.
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 06:09   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
We have about 3 years until we start cruising, but we'll be taking our Dalmatian with us. Our big boat is in charter so we have a small 22' boat we use on Cape Cod and he loves to come with us. He often will sit up on the bow of the dinghy as we head out to the boat - not just his front paws, but all 4! He has no fear! I'm not sure how he'll adapt to living on a boat, but he does fine when we're on the 22 for the day. This is our 3rd Dal and we love them because they love to be active and have great personalities. This one (Nitro) has the most we've seen - quite the talker as well. But as much as they love their activity, they are happy just hanging with you. I can't specifically recommend one for a boat since we aren't living aboard yet, but in general I certainly can if you like an active dog with a great personality. Here he is enjoying some reading while on the boat Here he is riding on the bow of the dinghy!
That looks like Chatham, down towards the fish pier. Is it?

Jeff
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 07:54   #79

Our 10 year old golden retriever, Whitley, has been on a boat or canoe since 8 weeks old and knows all the ins and outs of safe sailing-motoring around the coast. She only sheds twice a year and entertains herself with birds, dolphins, and her numerous dog friends in the marina. The older she gets the smarter she gets. Not true for our other 12-yr dog that sheds, but he does love us more each day.

Main thing make sure that your dog is a friendly dog to people and other dogs. We know quite a few small dogs on boats near us that are just mean and bark too much, and too protective of their owners.

Fostering a (older or younger) dog from a (bleed specific) rescue group can let you see who listens, obeys, loves being on the water, and not destructive. I rescued a golden-pyrenees mix last year from the side of the road and placed her in the local golden rescue program where she was adopted right way. She was so smart and sweet, and we (Whitley and Bud included) wished that I could have kept her but only 2 dogs is the rule.
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 09:35   #80

Boat: Looking for a new boat

How does that old guy get up and down the companionway? He looks like a sweet pooch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyside View Post
Our 10 year old golden retriever, Whitley, has been on a boat or canoe since 8 weeks old and knows all the ins and outs of safe sailing-motoring around the coast. She only sheds twice a year and entertains herself with birds, dolphins, and her numerous dog friends in the marina. The older she gets the smarter she gets. Not true for our other 12-yr dog that sheds, but he does love us more each day.

Main thing make sure that your dog is a friendly dog to people and other dogs. We know quite a few small dogs on boats near us that are just mean and bark too much, and too protective of their owners.

Fostering a (older or younger) dog from a (bleed specific) rescue group can let you see who listens, obeys, loves being on the water, and not destructive. I rescued a golden-pyrenees mix last year from the side of the road and placed her in the local golden rescue program where she was adopted right way. She was so smart and sweet, and we (Whitley and Bud included) wished that I could have kept her but only 2 dogs is the rule.
Old 19-10-2013, 11:50   #81

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestle View Post
That looks like Chatham, down towards the fish pier. Is it?

Jeff
Close. It is Chatham, but in Stage Harbor and Oyster River.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 17:10   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Close. It is Chatham, but in Stage Harbor and Oyster River.
I used to live on Fox Hill Road, and if you over-drove the third hole of Eastward Ho, you hit our roof.

Jeff
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 03:21   #83

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02034_2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	69169

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	69170

Name:	DSC03532_6.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	69171

Name:	DSC04793.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	69172

Name:	DSC01300_5.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	69173i have a spaniel mix----another name for "mutt". she is great!! Partially blind but she doesn't know it. she loves the boat or she loves to be where I am. crab hunting on the beach is her shore time. yes, she does shed but there are all kind of cleaning and dusting items on the market to easily pic up the hair and sand. Bought a Black and Decker rechargeable vacuum; small and light weight. Find a dog that loves you and it will love the boat. And, having owned many expensive pedigree dogs with papers a mile high does NOT insure you will have a well balanced great dog. Doggie descriptions are just guidelines-not guarantees.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 04:45   #84

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
i have a spaniel mix----another name for "mutt". she is great!! Partially blind but she doesn't know it. she loves the boat or she loves to be where I am. crab hunting on the beach is her shore time. yes, she does shed but there are all kind of cleaning and dusting items on the market to easily pic up the hair and sand. Bought a Black and Decker rechargeable vacuum; small and light weight. Find a dog that loves you and it will love the boat. And, having owned many expensive pedigree dogs with papers a mile high does NOT insure you will have a well balanced great dog. Doggie descriptions are just guidelines-not guarantees.
Skippy she's a pretty girl and I'd have guessed more sight hound than spaniel. She looks like a saluki with a short nose in the standing on deck photo.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 04:55   #85

Boat: Ezcurra Steel Custom 60' lifting keel
Here is Max he live last four years aboard and sail from Argentina along south america, Carib, USA, cross the atlantic to Europe then Norway and Batic.
He shed a lot and is the only problem, but now we find Furminator brush amd is much better.
Need a god vacum cleaner aboard.
Only eat dry dog food.
And use the bow as toilet.
Great for security on countrys like Brazil and the Caribean, but also friendly ashore and everybody loves him , is a good ralations manager :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-912054216.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	69175   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-783031825.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	69176  

Ypake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 14:52   #86

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

W are at anchor. Scupper is taking to the pee mat with gusto after Brian showed him how , but still trying to convince him about poo. We take him ashore three to four times a day. He loves the boat and loves the anchorage. He is a terrier terrier mutt, 2ish years old, we got him from the pound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	69245  
Old 26-10-2013, 07:02   #87

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
W are at anchor. Scupper is taking to the pee mat with gusto after Brian showed him how , but still trying to convince him about poo. We take him ashore three to four times a day. He loves the boat and loves the anchorage. He is a terrier terrier mutt, 2ish years old, we got him from the pound.
Even after showing my do how to use the pee may he refused. He even looked ate with disgust when I showed him how to use the pee mat!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:37   #88

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Well, he is still learning, went pee on an a pair of my shorts this morning before we took him ashore. .
Scupper helps me shell hunt, he finds the shells and puts them near my shells. Yesterday he took one of mine and ran off with it, he buried it like a bone shell hunters are a cut throat lot.
Here is one shell he brought me. I threw the shell, which was inhabited, in the deep water so scupper wouldn't bring it back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	69399  
Old 13-11-2013, 01:40   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw77 View Post
I have a Siberian Husky. Sheds like crazy (and he's all white), doesn't do particularly well in the heat, but he's a great dog and therefore a great boat dog.
I hvvtge a seymour .. Think to live on boat is too hot for it.
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 16:30   #90

Surprised nobody listed the Queen's dogs, Corgi's.
I don't have a boat (yet), but we live in a semi-truck most of the time. Much smaller moving space than most of ya'lls boats.
I've had two Corgi's, a Pembroke, IzzyB, who was with me onboard for 6 years until she succumbed to hemolytic anemia, and my current co-pilot, Bridget, a Cardigan Welsh Corgi.
Both have been awesome companions, and excellent hair carpet installers. At a mere 32 (IzzyB, as Pems are smaler) to 42lbs (Bridget is indeed larger), they are easy to hoist aboard, and are effective ratters. They were bred (some think from the Viking boat dogs) for herding and varmint control. Friendly, but most challenging as a watchdog, as are most of the herding breeds.
Neither ever got motion sickness in the truck, and would hold their water better than I. They are curious, and swim well. Bridget has been to many marinas with me, and has exhibited no stress over the water. She seems to like it.
One caveat, though.....
Both will steal your beer and drink it if you aren't watchful!!
IzzyB on deck.

Name:	DSCI0081.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	71148

Bridget keeping Watch..

Name:	DSCI0111.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	71150